Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Real Australia

The Real Australia

Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:02 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Dotty's leaving 'grey Australia' to come to the gloriously beautiful Uk - NEWSFLASH, it's a little on the grey side here too!
Actually I really had a laugh when dotty mentioned this morning that it was grey & overcast because apart from the tail end of a storm on Friday night, we havent had a single day of overcast weather or rain for about 4 months. Always quick to point out the 1 miserable day, but forgot the mention the rest. So if you think you will miss the rain or miserable weather, dont come to Brisbane .

Sorry, another email for you tennisoz hehe.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 1st 2003 at 11:06 am.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:44 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Actually I really had a laugh when dotty mentioned this morning that it was grey & overcast because apart from the tail end of a storm on Friday night, we havent had a single day of overcast weather or rain for about 4 months. Always quick to point out the 1 miserable day, but forgot the mention the rest. So if you think you will miss the rain or miserable weather, dont come to Brisbane .

Sorry, another email for you tennisoz hehe.

Hi Mrs Dagboy, it'll be hard but I guess I'll eventually come to terms with the great weather!!

Then again, we are going to Melbourne, so I won't be binning my brolly just yet!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs Dagboy, it'll be hard but I guess I'll eventually come to terms with the great weather!!

Then again, we are going to Melbourne, so I won't be binning my brolly just yet!
Emma, take the brolly with you, will save you money buying another one when you get there & you will feel right at home. I take no responsibility for any differences in the weather between Brisbane & Melbourne LOL.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:45 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Emma, take the brolly with you, will save you money buying another one when you get there & you will feel right at home. I take no responsibility for any differences in the weather between Brisbane & Melbourne LOL.
Brisbane - the 'deep south' of Australia, redneck country - at least that's what we Melburnians called it in the Jo-Bjelke, Russell days. Only stirring, lovely place!

P.S. In Melbourne for 5 weeks recently (winter), rained once (overnight). However, I noticed it rained during the Grand Final on Saturday.

P.P.S. Which part of Melbourne are you headed for Emma?

Cheers

TennisOz

Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:45 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Brisbane - the 'deep south' of Australia, redneck country - at least that's what we Melburnians called it in the Jo-Bjelke, Russell days. Only stirring, lovely place!

P.S. In Melbourne for 5 weeks recently (winter), rained once (overnight). However, I noticed it rained during the Grand Final on Saturday.

P.P.S. Which part of Melbourne are you headed for Emma?

Cheers

TennisOz
we've got an apartment in Hawthorn East at the moment, will see how it goes from there.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:00 pm
tennisoz

we've got an apartment in Hawthorn East at the moment, will see how it goes from there.
Sorry, yeah Hawthorn East - we'd exchanged messages before.

TennisOz

Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Rosy,
I recognize there are lots of bad points to Oz (including the mother-in-law) , but could you give us some of what you consider to be the good points. And I don't mean the usual weather being sinnier and cute animal stuff! You must have enjoyed some things out there, and now you're back in the UK, they must be some things you miss?
OK, the good points (and there are many) as far as I saw (and still see) them:

The weather - not necessarily the shallow answer it implies - decent weather (and I exclude the Brisbane summers in that description) allows for an outdoor lifestyle, which is, by and large, able to be planned in advance. This benefitted us as a family and as individuals. We will, I am sure, miss this during the coming winter months in the UK. The sun also has a recognised beneficial effect on serotonin levels which increase a human's sense of well-being (so I'm told and tend to agree with).

The space - it was simply wonderful at first to have over one and a half acres of garden. However, after a while it did become a little tedious when all the family were arguing about whose turn it was to spend all Saturday morning on the ride on!!!

I've mentioned this one lots of times before, but will mention it again seeing as how you've asked - the sense of civic and national pride - both are sadly lacking in the UK. Clean towns and cities, pride in the achievements of ancestors and national heroes etc.

The cheaper houses - it has galled me to have to pay a quarter of a million pounds for a shoebox over here!!!

so there you are - there are a few other little things which are probably just my own personal likes which I won't add here, but the above are the main good points about Oz.

Still, on balance, I believe we made the right decision to return to the UK for a host of reasons (which I won't go into here) but glad we tried Oz.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:21 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rosy
OK, the good points (and there are many) as far as I saw (and still see) them:

The weather - not necessarily the shallow answer it implies - decent weather (and I exclude the Brisbane summers in that description) allows for an outdoor lifestyle, which is, by and large, able to be planned in advance. This benefitted us as a family and as individuals. We will, I am sure, miss this during the coming winter months in the UK. The sun also has a recognised beneficial effect on serotonin levels which increase a human's sense of well-being (so I'm told and tend to agree with).

The space - it was simply wonderful at first to have over one and a half acres of garden. However, after a while it did become a little tedious when all the family were arguing about whose turn it was to spend all Saturday morning on the ride on!!!

I've mentioned this one lots of times before, but will mention it again seeing as how you've asked - the sense of civic and national pride - both are sadly lacking in the UK. Clean towns and cities, pride in the achievements of ancestors and national heroes etc.

The cheaper houses - it has galled me to have to pay a quarter of a million pounds for a shoebox over here!!!

so there you are - there are a few other little things which are probably just my own personal likes which I won't add here, but the above are the main good points about Oz.

Still, on balance, I believe we made the right decision to return to the UK for a host of reasons (which I won't go into here) but glad we tried Oz.
Just out of interest Rosy, did you move to the same area in the UK you used to live in, or have you decided to try somewhere new?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting that only 10% of people that migrate to Oz actually return, so it can't be all that bad, CAN IT!!!!!!

Its great if a little unnerving to read the positives and negatives, but kinda makes you worry about it too, which I guess is why we all get a little defensive!

Nicki
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:07 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Just interested to learn the source of that statement as unfortunately we had discovered it was as high as 50% returning in recent years.

10% may be historic and apply to 10 pound poms that had little choice but to make the best of it.

Originally posted by Jamesy
Interesting that only 10% of people that migrate to Oz actually return, so it can't be all that bad, CAN IT!!!!!!

Its great if a little unnerving to read the positives and negatives, but kinda makes you worry about it too, which I guess is why we all get a little defensive!

Nicki
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:25 pm
WBB

having just read the entire thread one thing is obvious, we all want something different.

one mans meat is another mans poison!

i for one intend to make up my own mind.

Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:37 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by welshboybilly
having just read the entire thread one thing is obvious, we all want something different.

one mans meat is another mans poison!

i for one intend to make up my own mind.

Bring on the Poison:scared:

(But I would prefer a little sunshine, low tax's, a big warm house & nice warm water diving!! )

Bye all
Markeh
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Welshboybilly DITTO who could argue with that
We all need to "Give it a go"or regret it.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by markeh

(But I would prefer a little sunshine, low tax's, a big warm house & nice warm water diving!! )
Mark, are you moving to the Bahamas or somewhere then?

Seriously in Australia dont expect low taxes, we've been through this before! As for the big warm house, well its only warm in winter if you reailise that you have to turn on the heating (whatever form you use) when it gets cold, no automatic central heaters like in the UK. But most people manage it .

It all depends on where in OZ you are moving to.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This has been Fascinating !!!...

I had a few chuckles reading this thread with all the divergent opinions being bought out about what it is REALLY like to live in Oz.

As someone who has lived here for over 30 years since my parents bought me out from Hove ( and btw - I am just about to move to America to live ) I thought I could offer a few thoughts..

Here in Canberra all schools are heated - though when I went to school they were definately not air conditioned - and on a scorching summer day we normally had to go outside and do lessons in the shade to cool down !

And if you are expecting to migrate to Australia and you think it will be exactly like on Neighbours or Home and Away - you more than likely will be dissapointed - though that really depends on how much money you have and where you move to - but by the same token if any Australians migrate to England and expect it to be just like Coronation Street then they are going to be sorely dissapointed too !!

Nothing is exactly like it is represented on TV - and it would be foolish to think it was. But by the same token - Australia is a wonderful country to - in particular - raise kids and if you prefer to be outside in the sun ( and all that that entails in so far as sport and recreation goes ) - then you can't really lose.

Oh and yes we do have hoons here - but guess what - last time I looked there were more than enough hoons running around over there to keep you busy. Hoons exist everywhere.

To say you will experience more hooning here - is as silly as to say that you can't go to a football match in England without getting stabbed by a rabid bover boy.

Generalisations are always silly.

Is Australia a better place than the UK ?
Yes and no - depends on what you are after and wanting.

My 2 Cents..
~Sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.