Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Real Australia

The Real Australia

Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Real Australia

Having just browsed through the Forum, I am totally amazed by the number of people who come over to Oz for a holiday and immediately decide its Utopia.

Have any of you stopped to consider the implications of this view?

Yes, a holiday in Australia IS a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.

Yes, Australia is a GREAT place to spend a holiday.

However, I can assure you, that is about ALL it is. A great holiday experience. Try living in it...

How many of you can honestly say you relish the thought of being taxed at 48% once you achieve a realistically livable income?

How many of you would want your children educated in a third rate educational system?

How many of you can justify paying £2,000 for a course of dental treatment? (and that's not including root canal work, and the more expensive stuff).

How will you feel when you are sitting inside your home and a "hoon" decides to do donuts on your front lawn???

Schools here come in 2 types - state and private. With private, you get to pay for the education + materials + extra-curricular activities + school building fund. With state, you get to pay for everything as above excluding the education, which, if you're one of the lucky ones, is a pretty poor average compared to European standards.

Try running a business here - if you can remember what it was like in the 70's in the UK, then you'll be OK. You may be able to accept the petty-minded, bureaucratically-stifled approaches, but many cannot and will not.

Yep, Australia is a wonderful place to spend a few months - just not what some may crack it up to be for a lifetime...
Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rosy,

At last a breath of fresh air into the forum. I was starting to think there was 2 Australias and I was in the wrong one.

Must be 2 gates at immigration, Utopia and Reality

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 29th 2003 at 5:57 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real Australia

Originally posted by Rosy
Having just browsed through the Forum, I am totally amazed by the number of people who come over to Oz for a holiday and immediately decide its Utopia
How will you feel when you are sitting inside your home and a "hoon" decides to do donuts on your front lawn???

Not my front lawn as i don't have one, but have hoons using the road as a skid pan all day! It happens wherever you live, utopia simply does not exist, I think most of us educated people realise this.
As for the third rate education system, i have 2 cousins and an ozzie friend all with degrees and excellent jobs, i think that the generalisation of the education system is unfair and must, like this country, have better areas than others. Again i think most of us educated people are aware of this and will strive to do the best for our children whichever continent we live on.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rosy, maybe Australia wasn't what you were looking for, and you will be happier back in the UK, but what makes this world so great is the fact that we all want different things from it. So just because it didn't suit you, doesn't mean it won't suit someone else. Unless each of us tries it for ourselves, we will never know, because we all take pleasure in such different things.
I've met many people who have been to Oz and come back, for various reasons. Some regret returning, some don't, but I've not yet spoken personally to anyone who regrets going in the first place. They all say, if you don't try it, you'll never know if you like it.

If you read a post from me in a few months time saying I wish I'd never gone, you can say "I told you so", but for now, let me give it a go.

Pollyana
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:07 pm
Badge

I tried living in it and I still enjoyed it.

I came back to the Uk - and 9 months on - still want to move back.

Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Rosy
Thanks for the post I always enjoy reading posts like your's - but I am still going!!

I like to form my own opinions and have my own experiences so I will let you know how I get on when I get there. Maybe you had bad experiences - that does not mean everyone's experience will be the same. I do not live in the UK so I am under no illusions about the hot weather (it gets to 45 here) and the creepy crawlies.

Whereabouts in Australia did you try to settle?

Debs

Last edited by debsy; Sep 29th 2003 at 7:20 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:29 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
I tried living in it and I still enjoyed it.

I came back to the Uk - and 9 months on - still want to move back.
Sums it up.

Its not for everyone. Rosy, it obviously was'nt for you.

Everyone else will go and find out for themselves.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Real Australia

Originally posted by Rosy
Having just browsed through the Forum, I am totally amazed by the number of people who come over to Oz for a holiday and immediately decide its Utopia.

Have any of you stopped to consider the implications of this view?

Yes, a holiday in Australia IS a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.

Yes, Australia is a GREAT place to spend a holiday.

However, I can assure you, that is about ALL it is. A great holiday experience. Try living in it...

How many of you can honestly say you relish the thought of being taxed at 48% once you achieve a realistically livable income?

How many of you would want your children educated in a third rate educational system?

How many of you can justify paying £2,000 for a course of dental treatment? (and that's not including root canal work, and the more expensive stuff).

Schools here come in 2 types - state and private. With private, you get to pay for the education + materials + extra-curricular activities + school building fund. With state, you get to pay for everything as above excluding the education, which, if you're one of the lucky ones, is a pretty poor average compared to European standards.

Try running a business here - if you can remember what it was like in the 70's in the UK, then you'll be OK. You may be able to accept the petty-minded, bureaucratically-stifled approaches, but many cannot and will not.

Yep, Australia is a wonderful place to spend a few months - just not what some may crack it up to be for a lifetime...
Oh no after reading this wonderful supportive thread that inspires us "dreamers" to go for it and to hell with the consequences , especialy us that are gonna give up good careers, and have kids and family to concider.... i'm thinking maybe i'm making a mistake... maybe i am truly living a fantasy...maybe UK is realy a great place to live and the weather is fantastic...and it dosn't really cost an arm and a leg to visit the dentist...The way i see it is that i could be moving to the same country and i may experience the same sh*t, but what the hell whats life for if ain't for living.
Everyones entitled to their opinion, rosy!

ellen1
the ultimate "dreamer" (and proud of it!)

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Thank you all for such incisive posts.........

I've now decided not to come to Australia to be with my father in law in his last days ( he has a terminal brain tumour)

I am sure that both he and my extended family living there will also thank you for convincing me not to come, the wife is not too pleased but hey what the heck, I daren't risk losing my well paid job of £13k for a 44 hour week, council tax of £1300/yr

I suppose what I am really trying to say is that everybodies situation is different both here and Australia and I am afraid no amount of negative posting is going to change any one else's perception. I have looked on the returning to the uk page and I cannot find evidence of people slagging off the uk to try and stop you returning, if you really do not like it there why not return to the uk?

This is not meant to be an aggressive post but it is difficult to put emotional emphasis in writing
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Thanks for your post Rosie - it is good to read about those who are not so happy in Aus. It is good to be brought back to earth and realise that everywhere has problems - 2 months reading posts on this site has taught be that!!

What I would like to say though is that life is what you make it. I could come up with examples of some pretty poor schools here in the UK (one not so far away with a GCSE grade A-C of just 9%!!). Also would like to share my last council tax bill with you - £1200, and due to rise by a further 16% next year. My private dental bill (if anyone thinks they can get an NHS dentist here forget it!) for just one filling £250 - not including examination or X-rays. Price for a decent 3 bed house in a reasonable catchment area £280,000 and an average joint income of £40,000.

There are pros and cons to both countries and as posts have said before everyone is after something different. Even if my family go over there and end up coming back - what an experience. There is more to life than money, earning money and paying money out.

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:40 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amanda&Paul
what an experience. There is more to life than money, earning money and paying money out.

Couldn't agree more.

Though hoons doing donuts on my lawn that really has got me reconsidering my position (Currently slightly skewed )
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

I have a neighbour in my road who takes his elderly dog for a walk every morning and evening. As this dog can bearly walk he walks ahead and never seems to notice his dog relieving itself in various peoples gardens (mine included). GRRRRRRRRRR One day I am going to scoop these messages up and post them through his porch door - probably on the morning the removal men come (I am a chicken!).

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:46 pm
Badge

same sh*t different country

some people I guess aren't just made for Australia..

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

'Rosy', has offered a very honest account of her experience of 17 months of real life in OZ. Nowhere does she say dont come here, she does say she is somewhat amazed at the Utopia image some have tho.

Frankly what she has written has more truth in her one post than the pages of idealistic nonsense often written here by people who have never set foot in the country. So what exactly is the problem with her posting this stuff. Too much truth perhaps?

As for people slagging off the UK, its on here everyday, amusingly tho about big UK problems that are here anyway.

As for a 13k job thats a good wage for many here and your council tax is very similar to mine here in OZ.

Why people get their knickers knotted because somebody posts a few home truths is beyond me, She lived here did she not, that is what she found, if you find different then post your version. Thats what a forum is for different opinions.

I find the reactions of people who dont like what they hear very childish, for heavens sake we are all supposed to be adults yet there is a "Stamp your feet and scream mentatlity" if somebody dares suggest OZ is not the precious bloody image pushed on TV.

Frankly I have never read so much drivel written about OZ as on this forum, some of it is sheer fantasy, I even feel sorry for the poor country, half of the stuff on here written about OZ is by people who have never set foot in the bloody place. Do Rosy a favour please, at least her post was written after 17 months of living here!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dotty

Can't believe you are getting so over excited over a web site!! I think most of the people that have posted on this thread have merely pointed out that all countries have their own problems. When someone is pointing our problems with anything - country, car, job whatever - it is basic human nature to respond with similar problems felt in their life.

Amanda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.