Reload this Page >

The Real Australia

The Real Australia

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Snooze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Real Australia

Originally posted by h garrett
Not my front lawn as i don't have one, but have hoons using the road as a skid pan all day! It happens wherever you live, utopia simply does not exist, I think most of us educated people realise this.
As for the third rate education system, i have 2 cousins and an ozzie friend all with degrees and excellent jobs, i think that the generalisation of the education system is unfair and must, like this country, have better areas than others. Again i think most of us educated people are aware of this and will strive to do the best for our children whichever continent we live on.

Not my front lawn either! And I do have one. Agree with much of what Rosy says particularly the tax system. It stinks - but I have been happy with the education system in general. Granted we went without a lot of things to put our 5 kids through a private school but it paid off for them. Some finished Uni (one at 22 with a Masters degree; one at 21 with a B.Sc; one in 3rd year public health and the youngest in 1st year business). Having said that they cannot get jobs!! Thinking of moving overseas just to get work. WA is definitely a places where jobs are 'for the boys'.

Won't go into much more detail - it is difficult to integrate that's all I can say. For all their "fair go" attitude we found it difficult to get jobs so we opened a business, threatened to be closed down within a month (closed down the doors after 9 years because it was hard work for little return).

C U - Snooze

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Joanie Babes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I moved to Brissie in Jan as I was transferred out here with work, it seems from my short time here that it is all what you make of it.
Yes the mozzies are blood sucking little pests and it is hot and humid (well up here any way). Basically nothing like home, but isn't that why most people come out here.

As for school, root canals and kids, hey I have not had to worry about that kinda stuff yet- but she'll be right (in my best Aussie accent).

So when will a few more sheep be safe? i.e when you coming out, for how long and to where?
Just try all the beers until you find one you like and kick back.

Originally posted by welshboybilly
having just read the entire thread one thing is obvious, we all want something different.

one mans meat is another mans poison!

i for one intend to make up my own mind.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:20 am
tennisoz

Default Re: This has been Fascinating !!!...

Originally posted by SeanH
but by the same token if any Australians migrate to England and expect it to be just like Coronation Street then they are going to be sorely dissapointed too !!

Generalisations are always silly.

Is Australia a better place than the UK ?
Yes and no - depends on what you are after and wanting.

My 2 Cents..
~Sean
Good post Sean. One small point, you obviously haven't seen Coronation Street lately though - Aussies would be sorely disappointed if life in the UK WAS as depicted in Coronation Street (or East Enders etc)!!

TennisOz

P.S. the coldest I have ever been in my life was when I was camping with my family as a youngster in Canberra. I think it got to 23 degrees (fahrenheit) overnight!! Nice place though.