Reload this Page >

The Real Australia

The Real Australia

Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Real Australia

Originally posted by Rosy
Having just browsed through the Forum, I am totally amazed by the number of people who come over to Oz for a holiday and immediately decide its Utopia.

Have any of you stopped to consider the implications of this view?

Yes, a holiday in Australia IS a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.

Yes, Australia is a GREAT place to spend a holiday.

However, I can assure you, that is about ALL it is. A great holiday experience. Try living in it...

How many of you can honestly say you relish the thought of being taxed at 48% once you achieve a realistically livable income?

How many of you would want your children educated in a third rate educational system?

How many of you can justify paying £2,000 for a course of dental treatment? (and that's not including root canal work, and the more expensive stuff).

How will you feel when you are sitting inside your home and a "hoon" decides to do donuts on your front lawn???

Schools here come in 2 types - state and private. With private, you get to pay for the education + materials + extra-curricular activities + school building fund. With state, you get to pay for everything as above excluding the education, which, if you're one of the lucky ones, is a pretty poor average compared to European standards.

Try running a business here - if you can remember what it was like in the 70's in the UK, then you'll be OK. You may be able to accept the petty-minded, bureaucratically-stifled approaches, but many cannot and will not.

Yep, Australia is a wonderful place to spend a few months - just not what some may crack it up to be for a lifetime...
I'd certainly agree that there's a hell of a difference between a holiday and living here. There are good points to living here, and you may be the type of person who likes living here. But there sure as hell quite a few negatives points as well
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rosy,
I recognize there are lots of bad points to Oz (including the mother-in-law) , but could you give us some of what you consider to be the good points. And I don't mean the usual weather being sinnier and cute animal stuff! You must have enjoyed some things out there, and now you're back in the UK, they must be some things you miss?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
'Rosy', has offered a very honest account of her experience of 17 months of real life in OZ. Nowhere does she say dont come here, she does say she is somewhat amazed at the Utopia image some have tho.

Frankly what she has written has more truth in her one post than the pages of idealistic nonsense often written here by people who have never set foot in the country. So what exactly is the problem with her posting this stuff. Too much truth perhaps?

As for people slagging off the UK, its on here everyday, amusingly tho about big UK problems that are here anyway.

As for a 13k job thats a good wage for many here and your council tax is very similar to mine here in OZ.

Why people get their knickers knotted because somebody posts a few home truths is beyond me, She lived here did she not, that is what she found, if you find different then post your version. Thats what a forum is for different opinions.

I find the reactions of people who dont like what they hear very childish, for heavens sake we are all supposed to be adults yet there is a "Stamp your feet and scream mentatlity" if somebody dares suggest OZ is not the precious bloody image pushed on TV.

Frankly I have never read so much drivel written about OZ as on this forum, some of it is sheer fantasy, I even feel sorry for the poor country, half of the stuff on here written about OZ is by people who have never set foot in the bloody place. Do Rosy a favour please, at least her post was written after 17 months of living here!
Dotty, I quite agree with you - we do need to have the comments of peoples real life experiences. But at the end of the day it is up to everyone to learn their own lessons. Some of these posts have certainly opened my eyes wide - and I dont wear rose tinted specs.

Ok we are going - I look at it as one big adventure and so what if we dont like it we will come back!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I do, I should have put 13,000k which equates to about $32,000 which would be a good wage in many parts of OZ.

Thanks for picking that up. I shall change my typo now.

wow has the dollar trippled overnight!

ellen1
Old Sep 30th 2003, 7:58 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rosy
Having just browsed through the Forum, I am totally amazed by the number of people who come over to Oz for a holiday and immediately decide its Utopia.

Have any of you stopped to consider the implications of this view?

Yes, a holiday in Australia IS a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.

Yes, Australia is a GREAT place to spend a holiday.

However, I can assure you, that is about ALL it is. A great holiday experience. Try living in it...

How many of you can honestly say you relish the thought of being taxed at 48% once you achieve a realistically livable income?

How many of you would want your children educated in a third rate educational system?

How many of you can justify paying £2,000 for a course of dental treatment? (and that's not including root canal work, and the more expensive stuff).

How will you feel when you are sitting inside your home and a "hoon" decides to do donuts on your front lawn???

Schools here come in 2 types - state and private. With private, you get to pay for the education + materials + extra-curricular activities + school building fund. With state, you get to pay for everything as above excluding the education, which, if you're one of the lucky ones, is a pretty poor average compared to European standards.

Try running a business here - if you can remember what it was like in the 70's in the UK, then you'll be OK. You may be able to accept the petty-minded, bureaucratically-stifled approaches, but many cannot and will not.

Yep, Australia is a wonderful place to spend a few months - just not what some may crack it up to be for a lifetime...
Rosy,

I am perfectly willing to accept your comments, and i do believe the to be on the whole, true.

However. Can you please point me towards all these posts you read stating that aus is utopia? I don't appear to have them on my forum???

Why not start your first post for a few months with a pleasant intro or somthing. Surly being nice is somthing a brit can manage? Why start your post with a sentance trying to ridicule all the threads everybody else has started?

I don't get it.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

As for a 13k job thats a good wage for many here and your council tax is very similar to mine here in OZ.
Hmm I have been thinking about this one some more as well. Your council rates (tax) here may be about $1300/year, but you earn a hell of a lot more than GBP13K. In the UK that equates to about 1/10th of your annual wage, here, on an equivilent wage (as you pointed out) AU$32K is about 1/25th.

Big difference.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:11 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by PeteY
Rosy,

I am perfectly willing to accept your comments, and i do believe the to be on the whole, true.

However. Can you please point me towards all these posts you read stating that aus is utopia? I don't appear to have them on my forum???

Why not start your first post for a few months with a pleasant intro or somthing. Surly being nice is somthing a brit can manage? Why start your post with a sentance trying to ridicule all the threads everybody else has started?

I don't get it.
A funny typo Pete, surly instead of surely - Freudian slip?

I have read Rosy's original and all the replies and everyone has a point. You want the good and the bad; you want people to give it a go themselves; some people have different experiences to these; include the good as well as the bad etc, etc.

TennisOz

P.S As a matter of interest, in the UK they have 'boy racers', now renamed street racers as girls are doing it too and in the news recently they killed someone; I pay national insurance as well as income tax; I have just been told by my dentist that he won't take me anymore on the NHS; millions of people have been mis-sold endowment mortgages and personal pensions and are being kicked out of final salary pension schemes; I teach so I know how bad some schools and pupils are here; my council tax on our property here is twice what it is on my property in Oz which is worth 3 times as much, there is a government who can only put a spin on everything etc, etc, etc.

You get the picture - I can find lots of the bad here as well. Incidentally I am Australian and although I can list all the above and more I really enjoy living in Scotland. The people I meet are mostly decent and friendly people but I haven't met about 5 million Scots so won't generalise for a whole nation (like many do on this forum). There is some beautiful scenery in this part of the world and other countries are easily accessible and history goes back well before 1788. In short I prefer to look at the bright side and being somewhere different

Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:15 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
wow has the dollar trippled overnight!

ellen1
No £13,000 times 2.45 equals $31, 850 which as was said is roughly $32,000. Sorry, couldn't resist that.

TennisOz

Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:26 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

She lived here did she not, that is what she found, if you find different then post your version. Thats what a forum is for different opinions.
Don't mean to drag this up again, but my girlfriend posted about air conditioning in schools a couple of weeks ago.......cos that was her experience of it, she was born there, grew up there, yet when she posted an opinion (well, fact really) you actually said "So, were all wrong here then?".......

whats the difference?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tennisoz
No £13,000 times 2.45 equals $31, 850 which as was said is roughly $32,000. Sorry, couldn't resist that.

TennisOz
me had bad head that morning...

ellen1
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The reason people get a bit miffed by this sort of post is not because we think none of this happens out there- it happens all over the World, but the fact that you think everyone is dreaming about going and no-one will like it!

Everyone is different, of course some people will hate it out there and return to the UK. Lots of people love it and post positive things about living in Oz or don't post at all as they are having a good time.

Rosy if you think back 2 years or so ago to when you were thinking of emigrating. Would this sort of post have made any difference to your decision? I doubt it. Most people have spent 1-3 years researching and planning the move. They need to experience life out there themselves.

If it doesn't work out then we will come back, but we will be happy that we were adventurous and tried it. If we didn't go because of these sort of posts how would we know if we were doing the right thing?

Life is for living. If you love it out there stay if not get over it and move back.

Hope you are enjoying life a bit more over here.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
Don't mean to drag this up again, but my girlfriend posted about air conditioning in schools a couple of weeks ago.......cos that was her experience of it, she was born there, grew up there, yet when she posted an opinion (well, fact really) you actually said "So, were all wrong here then?".......

whats the difference?
Great Fact (apart from the fact its total crap)

Ask anyone with kids here, schools are not airconditioned. That is the fact, dream on.

Gloss up OZ all you want but even the Education Dept will tell you it cant afford to AC schools, try them a simple email.

Wonder what else you have totally and utterly glossed up? In for a bit of a shock by the sounds of it
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:03 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Fact (apart from the fact its total crap)

Ask anyone with kids here, schools are not airconditioned. That is the fact, dream on.

Gloss up OZ all you want but even the Education Dept will tell you it cant afford to AC schools, try them a simple email.

Wonder what else you have totally and utterly glossed up? In for a bit of a shock by the sounds of it
Dream on? DREAM ON????????

She went to school in Brisbane...where did YOU go to school?

Glossed up? No, wherever I am, as long as it's with her will be fantastic. I dont need to gloss anything up.

.......I'M NOT GONNA SAY ANYMORE TO YOU.....BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

What I would like to know is what did we do for good advice before these forums, in fact before computers.Did the people who went out to Aus on the assisted passage send carrier pigeons of complaint back?Obviously people will get "homesick"and will only see and speak of the bad points of their chosen country.some may not wish to return to their country of origin for fear of losing face.I know that where ever I am with my wife and kids,will be my home.One thing I do know is what U.K. has right now is to stay stuck in this rut scrimping and saving to make ends meet.We have never had a large bank account so don't expect one where ever we are.One other thing that I know is that I can stay here and regret not giving Aus a fair go for my family.We don't expect Utopia,roads paved with gold or anything else.I expect to work hard doing any type of work. Shovelling sh** .If that's what it takes,then so be it, I have to try.If it doesn't work out at least I know what I have to come back to in U.K (if I have the balls to admit it was wrong)

heading to Perth nov 7th
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
Dream on? DREAM ON????????

She went to school in Brisbane...where did YOU go to school?

Glossed up? No, wherever I am, as long as it's with her will be fantastic. I dont need to gloss anything up.

.......I'M NOT GONNA SAY ANYMORE TO YOU.....BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO.
Take it you have not emailed the Ed Dept then?

Me school London, My Kids school Brisbane, Sydney and Sunshine Coast.

Just email the ed dept before you make a total idiot out of yourself. And watch those glossy stories, have a nasty habit of fading when you get off the plane

Try living here at least you know whats going on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.