British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quit smoking for Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quit-smoking-oz-326809/)

kris maynard Sep 22nd 2005 8:32 am

Re: Quit smoking for Oz

Originally Posted by davykaz
Hi Kris

what a great post to start. It has given me the urge to try and stop again. Have smoked from when I was 15 and I'm now 30. So far Ive managed to cut down to 10 a day and my plan is to go cold turkey as of Mon.26/9/05 :scared: .So all the help and encouragement anyone can give is appreciated.
I find it the hardest when i come home from work as I have 2 young girls who seem to be able to drive m,e nuts and the first thing I want to do is escape to the garden and have a puff but just knowing there are others out there trying as well might just be enough to see me through.
i will have to look up this CD being spoke about.
so cheers for any help and i will keep everyone updated to my progress

Hi
In one of my attempts to give up , when you set the day which you have ,try not smoking when you usually do for instance instead of havin a fag immidiatley after a meal wait half an hour ,so you are not ,not smoking but just changing the routine of smoking slightly so when you do give up at the times you usually smoke you would have altererd a bit so therefore making it easier.
Also I would definatley read Alan Carrs book it REALLY HELPS alot of what he says does stop you smoking as well, really weird how a book can do that but he has a 95% success rate apparently!! It really has helped me!!

Good Luck keep us updated

Kris xx

Spread40 Sep 22nd 2005 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by hilary6
God I sound Like a school teacher :o

Keep of the fags Kris your saving me a fortune well done girl luv rob

sunflower7 Sep 22nd 2005 4:13 pm

OK this will be the first real test tonight - ALCOHOL. :beer: :scared: Yes as good as it is, it always makes me want a ciggie. The two go soooo well together.
Ummm I could abstain from the alcohol, but I think not, after all its a booze n cruise tour. There is even a bar on the bus! so may my will be strong and my body well swaying probably. :D

Spread40 Sep 22nd 2005 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by sunflower7
OK this will be the first real test tonight - ALCOHOL. :beer: :scared: Yes as good as it is, it always makes me want a ciggie. The two go soooo well together.
Ummm I could abstain from the alcohol, but I think not, after all its a booze n cruise tour. There is even a bar on the bus! so may my will be strong and my body well swaying probably. :D

THIS IS KRIS NOT SPREAD40 FORGOT TO CHANGE USER NAMES!!DOH !!

Just think how much better the booze will taste without the fag!!Dont even be tempted you have done soooo well , just 1 crap fag and you will have to start all over again IT WONT BE WORTH IT!!!
Ive been aving a few glasses of wine of an evening no probs!
ALSO WHEN YOU SEE OTHERS SMOKING DONT ENVY THEM FEEL SORRY FOR THEM THEY TOO WOULD LOVE TO BE NON SMOKERS!!!
REMEMBER WHEN YOU WAS A SMOKER AND YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE SMOKING AS MOST WERE NON SMOKERS WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE BEEN!!
ALSO IF YOU SMOPKE TONIGHT YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM BE NOW WHAT COULD BE WORSE!! :p

Have a great night please dont give in!!
Let me know how it goes!!
YOU ARE A NON SMOKER :D
Kris xx

kris maynard Sep 22nd 2005 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spread40
THIS IS KRIS NOT SPREAD40 FORGOT TO CHANGE USER NAMES!!DOH !!

Just think how much better the booze will taste without the fag!!Dont even be tempted you have done soooo well , just 1 crap fag and you will have to start all over again IT WONT BE WORTH IT!!!
Ive been aving a few glasses of wine of an evening no probs!
ALSO WHEN YOU SEE OTHERS SMOKING DONT ENVY THEM FEEL SORRY FOR THEM THEY TOO WOULD LOVE TO BE NON SMOKERS!!!
REMEMBER WHEN YOU WAS A SMOKER AND YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE SMOKING AS MOST WERE NON SMOKERS WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE BEEN!!
ALSO IF YOU SMOPKE TONIGHT YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM BE NOW WHAT COULD BE WORSE!! :p

Have a great night please dont give in!!
Let me know how it goes!!
YOU ARE A NON SMOKER :D
Kris xx

YEH THATS WHAT I WOULD AV SAID DOH!! :p

Kris xx

kris maynard Sep 23rd 2005 9:42 am

Well how did it go?

Kris xx

sunflower7 Sep 23rd 2005 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Well how did it go?

Kris xx

Hi Kris, thanks for the encouraging words. Well it was a good night, an experience anyway.... trying to carry glasses and drink on the top deck of a moving bus was an ordeal, a right laugh. As the night went on we were falling all over the place. I was gagging for a ciggie, almost drooling at one point, couldn't think about anything else, but never had one single puff :D
I did consider the horrible taste I would have had, and succumbed to a piece of gum instead. Remainder of the night was no problem - a breeze.

davykaz Sep 23rd 2005 7:30 pm

Hi Kris, thanks for the encouraging words. Well it was a good night, an experience anyway.... trying to carry glasses and drink on the top deck of a moving bus was an ordeal, a right laugh. As the night went on we were falling all over the place. I was gagging for a ciggie, almost drooling at one point, couldn't think about anything else, but never had one single puff :D
I did consider the horrible taste I would have had, and succumbed to a piece of gum instead. Remainder of the night was no problem - a breeze.

Well done sunflower a real insparation to us all

kris maynard Sep 23rd 2005 7:54 pm

Well done really pleased you managed it was concerned you would give in to temptation ;)
You have just inspired me ive had a really good day the easiest yet , but tonight i just want a fag just one puff dont know why!

I wont do it though
I will just keep drinking!! :beer: :beer:

Well done

Kris xx

joanneS Sep 23rd 2005 8:02 pm

Well done really pleased you managed it was concerned you would give in to temptation ;)
You have just inspired me ive had a really good day the easiest yet , but tonight i just want a fag just one puff dont know why!

I wont do it though
I will just keep drinking!! :beer: :beer:

Well done

Kris xx

Hi Kris firstly well done for stopping smoking! I wish I was at your stage now! Hubbie and I are planning on stopping again!! before Oz. We have 400 ciggies left over from duty free and when they are gone we have made a pact to stop smoking! So hopefully in a weeks time I'll be back on here telling you all about my non-smoking!!! Keep up the good work guys and hopefully speak to you soon! :)

kris maynard Sep 23rd 2005 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by joanneS
Hi Kris firstly well done for stopping smoking! I wish I was at your stage now! Hubbie and I are planning on stopping again!! before Oz. We have 400 ciggies left over from duty free and when they are gone we have made a pact to stop smoking! So hopefully in a weeks time I'll be back on here telling you all about my non-smoking!!! Keep up the good work guys and hopefully speak to you soon! :)

Cheers Joanne (i hope your names joanne)

Dont worry you will be in my shoes soon there are a few people ahead of me and this time last week wasnt sure if i would be where i am now !
I would try and read Alan Carrs book if you can it will really help the phsycological aspect of it which to be fair is the main battle of giving up !!
I will keep this thread going it will be nice to hear others experiences!!

Must admit still really want a fag NOW!!

Wont have one though!!

Kris xx

sunflower7 Sep 23rd 2005 8:45 pm

Don't have one, keep drinking until you can't walk to buy any :D :beer:

Last night was hard at times, but sooo glad I didn't. Its like you said you'll regret it if you do, also no stinky tobacco smell on your clothes/hair/fingers. No tight chest either, I was a bit of a binge smoker when drinking.
Ooooo look I'm even writing past tense. Keep it up Kris, you know you can do it, and feel so proud of yourself. :) Day 5 is another day, one day at a time.

sunflower7 Sep 23rd 2005 8:46 pm

It looks like I'm encouraging you to become an alcoholic now..... :D

kris maynard Sep 24th 2005 4:18 pm

It looks like I'm encouraging you to become an alcoholic now..... :D

Wehey Day6
I made it to day 6 dont know why last night was soo hard probably the larger consumption of alcohol, I too smoked loads when drinking!
The days are definatley getting easier there are only a few times in the day when i feel i should be smoking but not want to be smoking if that makes sense!!
The cravings are now really mild and dont bother me at all!!
So glad i didnt give in really makes you realise how pointless smoking is and makes the next time you think you want a fag much easier!!

well done all

kris xx

Welshie Sep 24th 2005 8:01 pm

Wehey Day6
I made it to day 6 dont know why last night was soo hard probably the larger consumption of alcohol, I too smoked loads when drinking!
The days are definatley getting easier there are only a few times in the day when i feel i should be smoking but not want to be smoking if that makes sense!!
The cravings are now really mild and dont bother me at all!!
So glad i didnt give in really makes you realise how pointless smoking is and makes the next time you think you want a fag much easier!!

well done all

kris xx

whoo hoo well done Kris!! you even went out too?? wow! You're brave...I haven't done that yet...I'm coming up three weeks...yay..... :D and have come to the conclusion that smoking for the past 16 years was really so pointless. I really hope my lungs recover.....!

Rachel :)