British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quit smoking for Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quit-smoking-oz-326809/)

Cardos Mar 19th 2006 11:54 am

Re: Quit smoking for Oz

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Well peeps just thought id see how many of us had stuck with it!!! ;)

I am a non smoker now cant ever see myself as a smoker again , honestly never thought that day would come!!!

Can be done if I can anyone can you just have to want to!!!

Kris xx

I just started my NHS stop smoking meetings last week, hopefully giving up over the next fortnight, I still have to pick up the zyban.

kris maynard Jul 12th 2006 7:55 am

Well peeps im still a non smoker even after the stress of moving to the other side of the world there were times at the beginning of our new life when i could have started smoking again but now im through that i can honestly say i believe i will never smoke again!!! Not even a sneaky puff when out and half cut!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well !!!

take Care
Kris xx

Cardos Jul 12th 2006 11:08 am

Well peeps im still a non smoker even after the stress of moving to the other side of the world there were times at the beginning of our new life when i could have started smoking again but now im through that i can honestly say i believe i will never smoke again!!! Not even a sneaky puff when out and half cut!!!

take Care
Kris xx

Gd for you, it's a great feeling isnt it?, how judgemental are you now? Im always saying ugggggghhhhh smokers stink.....which they do, I cant belive I smelt like that for 13 years :)

I managed to stop on the last day of March, had a few days that where awful but wasnt going to go back.....it's all smooth sailing now.

Keep it up Kris, well done!

Dianej Jul 12th 2006 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jacknat
good luck kris :)

i tried a few weeks ago and tried nicorette gum, which made me cough!!!!

am smoking rollies now coz i hate them but for me at least 1st step :rolleyes:

have cut down loads tho ;)

good luck again

Dont be fooled by rollies. Someone told me to shift to rollies because its easier to give them up. Not so (she says - two years on!)

Im giving up the day my visa is granted (well after the initial shock anyway!)

Diane

Mid Lifer. Jul 12th 2006 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dianej
Dont be fooled by rollies. Someone told me to shift to rollies because its easier to give them up. Not so (she says - two years on!)

Im giving up the day my visa is granted (well after the initial shock anyway!)

Diane

I gave up for 3 weeks before my chest x rays.When I passed them I sparked up a celebratory fag and am back on em again..I will give up for Oz tho.Probably start on that long flight over.. :zzz:

kris maynard Jul 13th 2006 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Cardos
Gd for you, it's a great feeling isnt it?, how judgemental are you now? Im always saying ugggggghhhhh smokers stink.....which they do, I cant belive I smelt like that for 13 years :)

I managed to stop on the last day of March, had a few days that where awful but wasnt going to go back.....it's all smooth sailing now.

Keep it up Kris, well done!

Well done you !!! it is a great feeling and also makes you wonder why you ever smoked!!!

To those still waiting i think the main thing is you really have to WANT to give up!!!

Good Luck

Kris xx

Scossie Nov 2nd 2006 11:10 am

1 year today since I quit....:)
Woohoooo!!!:beer:

Melbourne Cup day was the day I'd planned to stop, and last year that was the 1st of November.
Still had a couple left on the 2nd which were smoked by late afternoon.

Haven't had one since....:):)

kris maynard Nov 3rd 2006 2:27 am

Well Done u !!!!
Im just over a year now and cant ever imagine smoking again!! Never thought i would be a non smoker!!

Even the stress of moving to the other side of the world didnt make me start up again!!!!

Congrats

Kris xx

Originally Posted by Scossie
1 year today since I quit....:)
Woohoooo!!!:beer:

Melbourne Cup day was the day I'd planned to stop, and last year that was the 1st of November.
Still had a couple left on the 2nd which were smoked by late afternoon.

Haven't had one since....:):)

Scossie Nov 3rd 2006 6:28 am

Well Done u !!!!
Im just over a year now and cant ever imagine smoking again!! Never thought i would be a non smoker!!

Even the stress of moving to the other side of the world didnt make me start up again!!!!

Congrats

Kris xx

Thanks Kris...:)
And well done to you too....:beer:

Bordy Nov 3rd 2006 7:19 am

I just informed AMP who look after my superannuation that I haven't smoked for 18 months.
I got an e mail back today saying my insurance payments on some extra life cover will drop from $114 per month to $40.
Well chuffed I was.

Scossie Nov 3rd 2006 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
I just informed AMP who look after my superannuation that I haven't smoked for 18 months.
I got an e mail back today saying my insurance payments on some extra life cover will drop from $114 per month to $40.
Well chuffed I was.

Bloody hell Bill...!
How cool is that?
Nice one mate.:)

Wendy Nov 3rd 2006 9:46 am

Bloody hell Bill...!
How cool is that?

After 12 months without you qualify as a non smoker for insurance in Australia ;) The lady from mine told me that just yesterday.

Bordy Nov 3rd 2006 9:57 am

Bloody hell Bill...!
How cool is that?

Cheers John, I was a bit shocked myself. Thought it might come down by 10 or 15 Dollars.

louise4 Nov 25th 2006 10:19 am

Just thought that i would say high to all you fellow non smokers :)

I have smoked since the age of 15 and got to say that i loved every minute of it. until the last 2 years and it really was getting to be a pain in the arse.

After all sorts of failed attempts i have just had hypnosis. and i have got to say IT IS THE BEST FRICKIN WAY TO QUIT EVER. sorry for shouting but i am sooo excited.
before i had it i was a bit sceptical (sp) but i have literally walked out of there and haven't had one since. i have had some withdrawal symptoms but nothing too bad.

this morning my friend came round who smokes and before she got here i thought 'excellent i can have one more to say goodbye in style.
i couldn't even light it up. i looked at it and didn't even want to put it in my mouth :eek:
i never would have believed it
if anyone is struggling. go get hypnotised. as long as you really want to give up and have a small amount of will power it will work :)

Louise (sitting here in smoke free smugness) :D

Weasy Nov 25th 2006 12:53 pm

Have just found this thread so can I join you all? I gave up on 8th May and feel fantastic. I used the Allen Carr book which I can highly recommend. I had one drag when I was a bit tiddly - ahem - one night and out with 3 heavy smokers and hated it. There have been moments where I've had severe cravings (like the evening hubby wrote his car off) but surprisingly it's been quite easy. Don't want to become complacent though....

We're very close to getting our visas now and hope to fly early Jan so it'll be nice to have some support to make sure I don't use the excuse of stress to lapse :D

Lou
xx

take Care
Kris xx