British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quit smoking for Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quit-smoking-oz-326809/)

kris maynard Nov 7th 2005 5:52 pm

Re: Quit smoking for Oz

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Hey non smoking people of the forum, how the hell is it going. Not counting in days anymore but weeks!! Tomorrow will be 6 weeks and am I proud of myself? Bloody right I am. Andy :D :beer:

Big Slap on the back for you Ive started again back on 20 a day NOT!!!

I think its 8 weeks today for me lost track still get the occasional urge but there is no way i will ever be a smoker again!!
Final realisation my mate (a smoker ) turned up last week it was pissing down and she stood outside with her coat on hood up and puffed a way and for what couldnt help but laugh at the fact I used to be that sad!!!!

WE ARE GREAT

Kris xxx

Sam Nov 7th 2005 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Big Slap on the back for you Ive started again back on 20 a day NOT!!!

I think its 8 weeks today for me lost track still get the occasional urge but there is no way i will ever be a smoker again!!
Final realisation my mate (a smoker ) turned up last week it was pissing down and she stood outside with her coat on hood up and puffed a way and for what couldnt help but laugh at the fact I used to be that sad!!!!

WE ARE GREAT

Kris xxx

Well done Kris,
keep up the good work all of you!!!!
I gave up 4 1/2 years ago and have never looked back, (although i now have a weight issue LOL) :D

kris maynard Nov 7th 2005 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by alan and sam
Well done Kris,
keep up the good work all of you!!!!
I gave up 4 1/2 years ago and have never looked back, (although i now have a weight issue LOL) :D

YEP know what you mean about the weight!!
worth it though!!!

kris xx

davykaz Nov 8th 2005 6:01 am

Hi ALL

well not to sure how long now but dont care as far as im concerned im a non smoker and dont care how long it has been feel great tho do still get the we urge but nothing to bad i cant handle

well done all keep up the good work

Davy

sunflower7 Nov 8th 2005 7:31 pm

Well Done everyone :) - still a non smoker, and others at work are giving up also which is encouraging.

StarJam Nov 9th 2005 3:26 am

Having read through all 11 pages of this thread you have all made me want to stop (again). I bought Alan Carrs book 4 years ago and did it for 4months…

I’m off to buy the book again now since it got misplaced somewhere in between the UK and Aus transfer… I’m absolutely packing it though because the last time I stopped was 6 weeks before easter and then I went home to the UK… and guess what I started again. And if I stop today it will be nearly 6weeks before I return for the Christmas frivolities of going out and getting plastered.

I’m still going for it though… Hopefully I’ll be joining you guys on here saying I’ve done a day, then two, then a week…. :)

Congratulations to all you who are now NON SMOKERS!

wmh76 Nov 9th 2005 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
Hey non smoking people of the forum, how the hell is it going. Not counting in days anymore but weeks!! Tomorrow will be 6 weeks and am I proud of myself? Bloody right I am. Andy :D :beer:

Hey Andy, well done for sticking at it! :) 4 1/2 weeks for me!! I've finally got used to those horrible dirty square marks that the patches leave behind!! :(

Wendy

kris maynard Nov 9th 2005 6:18 pm

good on ya, let us know how you go!!

Good Luck
Kris xx

Originally Posted by StarJam
Having read through all 11 pages of this thread you have all made me want to stop (again). I bought Alan Carrs book 4 years ago and did it for 4months…

I’m off to buy the book again now since it got misplaced somewhere in between the UK and Aus transfer… I’m absolutely packing it though because the last time I stopped was 6 weeks before easter and then I went home to the UK… and guess what I started again. And if I stop today it will be nearly 6weeks before I return for the Christmas frivolities of going out and getting plastered.

I’m still going for it though… Hopefully I’ll be joining you guys on here saying I’ve done a day, then two, then a week…. :)

Congratulations to all you who are now NON SMOKERS!

flapsterhp Nov 9th 2005 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by wmh76
Hey Andy, well done for sticking at it! :) 4 1/2 weeks for me!! I've finally got used to those horrible dirty square marks that the patches leave behind!! :(

Wendy

Well done yourself there young lady :D know what you mean about the patches, took my first patch of before bed, got up in the morning then putting on another patch and my arm was all red where my patch had been. I thought it was a blood mark, silly bugger it was the fine pilthy fluff of my red t shirt i wear in bed. Andy

StarJam Nov 9th 2005 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard
good on ya, let us know how you go!!

Good Luck
Kris xx

One step closer...

Bought the book.... :beer:

Scossie Nov 9th 2005 10:49 pm

Just noticed this thread!
Amazing how you do when it becomes relevant to you..!!:)

I quit 8 days ago. No books, patches or gum etc.
Just going for it on willpower alone.
I'm proud to say I haven't smoked at all in the last 8 days.
Even went to the pub with a mate for a few beers on Saturday only 3 days in, to see how I got on with the dreaded beer & pub temptation situation!!
It was hard going, but I got through the night without smoking! Woohooo!!!

8 days in though, is certainly is getting a lot easier.

I reckon this thread is fantastic, what with everyone encouraging each other to stay at it. I've read all the posts & there's been a lot of very good advice given out by all of us, "non smokers"..:D

You've done a grand job here Kris mate!:cool:

Cheers... John....:)

andrew63 Nov 9th 2005 11:57 pm

Good luck and good health to all trying to kick the habit.
Can I recommend www.nicobloc.com? It really does work and enables you to quit gently rather than the pain of cold turkey.
Available in Oz and UK or via the web.
It has 60% success rate. Patches and gums 2 - 8% success rate.
Good luck.

Andrew

Scossie Nov 29th 2005 11:24 pm

1 month today, and still going strong!:)

As I said, I'm just using willpower, but I think I've cracked it this time.:)
Having a few beers has been the worst, but I'm now getting out of the habit of wanting to smoke with a drink as well.

Feeling a lot better as well. Had a strange cough in the morning for the first 3 weeks, but that is gone now. I reckon it was just my lungs getting rid of all the crap!!

I broke my wrist last Sunday flaying footy. Pretty stressful time, but I just realised this morning that through it all I never even thought about having a smoke!!!:) Woohooo!!!

Good luck to all....:beer:

hevs Nov 29th 2005 11:26 pm

Hope you feel ok now Scossie. AND i hope you were playing proper footie ;)

If you feel the urge try this for back up. Its none addictive ;)

http://www.allencarr.com.au/AllenCarr.html

Scossie Nov 29th 2005 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by hevs
Hope you feel ok now Scossie. AND i hope you were playing proper footie ;)

I was...:D
Playing kick to kick in the park. I was running backwards to grab a mark when I took a spectacular tumble with all the weight crunching down on my left wrist!!!:(

6 hours in Fremantle Hospital, which is right next to Freo Oval (home of my beloved Dockers:D).....