British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quit smoking for Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quit-smoking-oz-326809/)

kris maynard Sep 19th 2005 6:04 pm

Quit smoking for Oz

Thought id start this thread for those of us that are giving up ,given up or would like to give up!!
Thought id start my daily diary of how im finding it if anyone wants to add to it or give any advice feel free!
I have smoked since i was around 15 i have given up several times but never managed to stick to it , it was always a holiday that got me back onto it , never seemed right relaxing without a fag!
Anyway read Alan Carrs book at the weekend thought it was good and to be honest i gave up in the new year and found it really easy but again circumstances pushed me back into smoking!!

DAY 1

Well i have made day one almost!!
I havent had a cigerette today and apart from the odd nicotene pang and feeling really spaced out its not going bad at all, I remember this feeling from when i gave up in the new year its awful you really dont feel like you are on the planet,and really really tired!!
I know it wont be for long though then i will start feeling the benefits of being a non smoker!!!
Cant wait to wake up tomorrow not having ganky smokers gob!!

Hubby has given up too he was going to wait until i had quit for a week but changed his mind so we are in it together!

At the moment its positive thinking getting me through knowing a fag will not make me feel any different, and the stink Yuk!!

Sorry if the above is a load of drivel my head is fuzzy!!

Kris xx

Anne4Terry Sep 19th 2005 6:20 pm

Re: Quit smoking for Oz

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Thought id start this thread for those of us that are giving up ,given up or would like to give up!!
Thought id start my daily diary of how im finding it if anyone wants to add to it or give any advice feel free!
I have smoked since i was around 15 i have given up several times but never managed to stick to it , it was always a holiday that got me back onto it , never seemed right relaxing without a fag!
Anyway read Alan Carrs book at the weekend thought it was good and to be honest i gave up in the new year and found it really easy but again circumstances pushed me back into smoking!!

DAY 1

I havent had a cigerette today and apart from the odd nicotene pang and feeling really spaced out its not going bad at all, I remember this feeling from when i gave up in the new year its awful you really dont feel like you are on the planet,and really really tired!!
I know it wont be for long though then i will start feeling the benefits of being a non smoker!!!

Hubby has given up too he was going to wait until i had quit for a week but changed his mind so we are in it together!

At the moment its positive thinking getting me through knowing a fag will not make me feel any different, and the stink Yuk!!

Kris xx

Well done you :D Keep at it, but if you get stuck Terry gave up with a cd on Giving Up Smoking by Jason Vale (the juice master). He has been a hardened smoker for years, gave up 20 years ago then started again at our daughter's funeral. No excuse I know. Anyway he listened to the cd and that was it, stop. But the main clincher for me in believing that it works is my brother in law has smoked about 60 a day for the last 35 years. He had tried patches, gum the lot, even the hospital telling him he would be dead within a year didn't do it, but he listened to the cd about a year ago and has not had another cigarette since!!!!!

Keep the good work going Kris and well done for realising that you should give up.

Anne x

poppet Sep 19th 2005 6:36 pm

Hi Kris. Well done for day 1 - always one of the hardest days. I gave up over a year ago now - I stopped when I found out I was pregnant so I had more incentive than most. I'm glad to say that baby is now 7 months old and so far I haven't reverted back. Even now there are days/times/situations when the urge returns but I am trying to be good. Keep up the good work. Px

jacknat Sep 19th 2005 7:09 pm

good luck kris :)

i tried a few weeks ago and tried nicorette gum, which made me cough!!!!

am smoking rollies now coz i hate them but for me at least 1st step :rolleyes:

have cut down loads tho ;)

good luck again

hoops Sep 19th 2005 7:32 pm

hi

i gave up on the 9th of jan this year, started when i was 12 (i am now 13) no really 39 this year, got onto 15 / 20 rollups per day, its only you that can do it,

i had a recurring dream that we sailed through the tra and visa but i had shadows on my lungs when it came to the medical which meant we could not go to oz. that was my incentive sorry if its a bit morbid but

whatever makes you stop will make you stop

i nearly had my first lapse today i walked away quickly,

i used nicotinell, then got an addiction to airwaves chewing i am cutting back to 2 packs per day

cheers steve

stevenpoole9 Sep 19th 2005 8:22 pm

I'd smoked from when I was 14, I'm 39 now. I finally gave up 4 years ago, at that point I was smoking 40 - 50 B&H a day. I used nicotine patches on prescription from my Doctor's. I don't know why I could do it that time, I'd tried to do it before but always found an excuse to start again, and they are excuses. Only today I went in a local shop and saw 20 Bensons on sale for 5 GBP (no pound sign sorry) I almost had a heart attack. If you need inspiration, think of the money you waste (if you smoke 20 a day that's 35 GBP a week, you could buy a new car for that!!) think of poisoning your kids with second-hand smoke, think of smelling like stale fags to EVERY non smoker, and finally think of seeing your kids grow up, reaching adulthood, having kids of their own and forgetting you ever existed because you died at 45 due to a massive heart attack etc. Sorry to be so harsh but giving up smoking is the best thing you will ever do in your life, trust me. You won't feel fantastic overnight, you will probably put on a bit of weight (I did) but 3 years or so down the line you'll be glad your not tied to the evil weed. I will never smoke again, I'm absoloutly certasin of that. Do yourself a favour.

Welshie Sep 19th 2005 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard

DAY 1

Kris xx

Day 16 for me!! Arrrrrrrrrrrr....
I'm going cold turkey. So far I've not been too bad really. I've been saving a fiver a day in a pot and it's making me more determined seeing all that money I've saved and I'm gonna turn it all into dollars soon! :D

It's all psychological...don't let it beat you...you are stronger!!...as long as you can put up with the intense cravings for the first seven days you'll be fine. It's weird,but I seem to be developing an acute sense of smell and taste now....and I feel great...my hubby has never smoked and to be honest I was fed up of standing outside in the garden in the cold every night alone when I wanted a cig..oh that and going out socially and always looking to see if it was non-smoking or not and panicking when it was and then usually ending up spending half the night standing outside alone smoking!

On the other hand, I haven't actually ventured into a bar yet though! :D I'm just not ready for it....I've become a recluse...I really cannot cope with a bar yet...Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....NEED MORE THERAPY!! HELP...

:eek:

Good luck!! AND BE STRONG!!!

Rachel

chatty34 Sep 19th 2005 10:21 pm

Keep it up Kris!
I was lucky if you can call it that, I had pneumonia for most of August and it frightened the life out of me, so gave me the kick that I needed.
Haven't stopped eating though :D and nearly started again today when I saw the digital pictures of me at my godsons christening yesterday :o

jacknat Sep 19th 2005 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Keep it up Kris!
I was lucky if you can call it that, I had pneumonia for most of August and it frightened the life out of me, so gave me the kick that I needed.
Haven't stopped eating though :D and nearly started again today when I saw the digital pictures of me at my godsons christening yesterday :o

was that eating or smoking :D :D

andrew63 Sep 19th 2005 11:52 pm

I have seen many 20+ smokers a day quit using nicobloc (www.nicobloc.com).
It actually works and enables you to cut down gradually rather than instantly stopping smoking and going cold turkey.
Good luck to all trying to kick the habit - it's not easy!

Andrew

spottydog Sep 20th 2005 9:06 am

We gave up June last year, it was hell at times but we're past in now (although my other half has now gone the opposite way and constantly complains about people smoking).

We found the inhalers to be really good they gave you the nicotine hit when you needed it in the same way as a cigarette but you felt so silly using them that you waited until you were really desparate for a quick puff. Both of us stopped using them completely after 4 to 6 weeks and haven't gone back to cigarettes in over a year (tried patches, gum and tablets before but always ended up back on the ciggies).

Possibly the worst period was a couple of months after giving up. We had spent a couple of weeks with food tasting really good (watch out for the weight here, we're still trying to get rid of it now) then suddenly everything tasted horribly metallic for a few weeks but this eventually went.

We didn't realise quite how much of an affect giving up would have but noticed on a recent diving holiday we were able to get a third longer underwater using the same size tanks than previously so obviously it makes a big difference.

Good luck it's definitely worth it.

chatty34 Sep 20th 2005 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jacknat
was that eating or smoking :D :D

Both :D

kris maynard Sep 20th 2005 9:50 am

Cheers everyone

We need to stick together especially us lot in the early days!!

It is weird I have got really bad cravings today I wont give in though because i know it wont make the slightest bit of difference to how i feel!
Also I know it tastes like sh**, the other thing ive noticed today is that i can smell stale smoke even in the house and we have never smoked in the house always in the garden by the back door!!

The light headiness is still really bad which for me is the worst part does anyone else remember this feeling its like your brain is floating on another planet really fuzzy head!!Apparently its because there is more oxygen getting to ya brain!!

The other thing helping me is from Alan Carrs book almost all smokers when asked if they had known what they know now would they have ever started smoking ALL say no , when you had your first ciggarette do you remember how vile it was, if you had thought just having that one ciggarette was enough to gett you hooked for life would you have had it?
NO me either so if i just have that one foul tasting ciggarette it will lead to more because i already know how grosse it will be !!

Keep it up everyone just shout if you need a bit of moral support!!

Kris xx

hilary6 Sep 20th 2005 9:55 am

Keep up the good work!
Hilary

hilary6 Sep 20th 2005 9:56 am

Originally Posted by hilary6
Keep up the good work!
Hilary

God I sound Like a school teacher :o