British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quit smoking for Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quit-smoking-oz-326809/)

kris maynard Sep 20th 2005 9:57 am

Re: Quit smoking for Oz

Originally Posted by hilary6
Keep up the good work!
Hilary

Cheers Mate!
I think this thread will end up helping me alot even if i talk to myself!!
Just writing how it feels has made me feel better the cravings are subsiding a bit !!

Kris x

Flying Banana Sep 20th 2005 10:18 am

After a second winter of sinus problems I finally decided enough was enough, just started week2 off the wicked weed (Ha not getting any more tobacco tax off me Mr Costello!!!)

AND I'M NOT BL**DY IRRITABLE................. :mad: OK! ;) :D

kris maynard Sep 20th 2005 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
After a second winter of sinus problems I finally decided enough was enough, just started week2 off the wicked weed (Ha not getting any more tobacco tax off me Mr Costello!!!)

AND I'M NOT BL**DY IRRITABLE................. :mad: OK! ;) :D

:scared: :scared:

Well done how you finding it?

kris xx

Flying Banana Sep 20th 2005 11:19 am

Originally Posted by kris maynard
:scared: :scared:

Well done how you finding it?

kris xx

Not as bad as expected mostly, really want to do it this time which helps. Also the last other smoker at work has just left so was just me left standing outside in leper's corner.

Am finding myself just a teensy weensy ickle bit less tolerant on the roads though but that could just be Victorians and freeways and nothing to do with the giving up smoking ;) :D

sunflower7 Sep 20th 2005 6:54 pm

Good on ya Kris and everyone else whose kicking the weed. Good to share the stress.
I'm on day 7 of being nicotine free, and no gum use yesterday. All good so far, heart lowered and less breathless running up the stairs :)
Going to clean the car on days off - get rid of all that yukky ash.
Will also open a savings account to put the monthly money spent on cigs.

Occasionally getting lightheaded, and remembering the previous time I quit when I've been asleep smoking, feeling oh so gutted, then wake up relieved that it was all a dream. :cool:

kris maynard Sep 20th 2005 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Good on ya Kris and everyone else whose kicking the weed. Good to share the stress.
I'm on day 7 of being nicotine free, and no gum use yesterday. All good so far, heart lowered and less breathless running up the stairs :)
Going to clean the car on days off - get rid of all that yukky ash.
Will also open a savings account to put the monthly money spent on cigs.

Occasionally getting lightheaded, and remembering the previous time I quit when I've been asleep smoking, feeling oh so gutted, then wake up relieved that it was all a dream. :cool:

Well done Sunflower
Thought it was just me feeling really lightheaded and knackererd I did feel like this last time i gave up though this is definatley the last time!!
Make sure you put that money aside and treat yourself!!

Keep us updated good and bad days!!

Kris xx

Bradley7 Sep 20th 2005 11:40 pm

Thought id start this thread for those of us that are giving up ,given up or would like to give up!!
Thought id start my daily diary of how im finding it if anyone wants to add to it or give any advice feel free!
I have smoked since i was around 15 i have given up several times but never managed to stick to it , it was always a holiday that got me back onto it , never seemed right relaxing without a fag!
Anyway read Alan Carrs book at the weekend thought it was good and to be honest i gave up in the new year and found it really easy but again circumstances pushed me back into smoking!!

DAY 1

Well i have made day one almost!!
I havent had a cigerette today and apart from the odd nicotene pang and feeling really spaced out its not going bad at all, I remember this feeling from when i gave up in the new year its awful you really dont feel like you are on the planet,and really really tired!!
I know it wont be for long though then i will start feeling the benefits of being a non smoker!!!
Cant wait to wake up tomorrow not having ganky smokers gob!!

Hubby has given up too he was going to wait until i had quit for a week but changed his mind so we are in it together!

At the moment its positive thinking getting me through knowing a fag will not make me feel any different, and the stink Yuk!!

Sorry if the above is a load of drivel my head is fuzzy!!

Kris xx

I went out to Aus last year, decided I was sure I wanted to go and live there, thought well if you really want it you can stop smoking, within a week of getting back to UK I stopped and haven't smoked for over a year. Stopped with the help of the horrible nasal spray thing (so horrible it quickly overcomes your need for nicotine but making you feel ill everytime you have a spray lol)
Must say though at times I could still easily buy 20 and just drop back into it, the addiction cravings haven't left me as yet ;)

Centurion Sep 21st 2005 6:40 am

Well done Sunflower
Thought it was just me feeling really lightheaded and knackererd I did feel like this last time i gave up though this is definatley the last time!!
Make sure you put that money aside and treat yourself!!

Keep us updated good and bad days!!

Kris xx

Just like to wish you and everyone else who quits on this thread the very best - its seriously the best thing you can do for yourself and your family.

Well done for being a non smoker !! :D

Soon you get to start smelling smokers around you from 50 paces and wondering how you got away with stinking like an old ashtray. Remember the first couple of days is merely the nicotine leaving - after then its all in your head!!!! So the worst of its all over now - congrats!

kris maynard Sep 21st 2005 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Just like to wish you and everyone else who quits on this thread the very best - its seriously the best thing you can do for yourself and your family.

Well done for being a non smoker !! :D

Soon you get to start smelling smokers around you from 50 paces and wondering how you got away with stinking like an old ashtray. Remember the first couple of days is merely the nicotine leaving - after then its all in your head!!!! So the worst of its all over now - congrats!

Cheers!!

Day 3

Woke up this morning with a bit more energy and the actual back of the throat craving wasnt so severe!!
Still feel like i should be smoking although havent given in !!
Probably just end up 10 stone heavier :scared: :scared:

Seriously its not really easy but it isnt that hard either!! Hubby has given up too and he seems to have found it REALLY easy!
I just keep eating (im not a big eater) so im trying to stick to fruit and veg coz I know if i start moving up clothes sizes I really wont be happy!!

Hows everyone else doing Good I hope Come on write it down lets compare notes!!

Keep it up guys
:beer: :beer: for all the non smokers :beer:
Kris xx

davykaz Sep 21st 2005 8:07 pm

Hi Kris

what a great post to start. It has given me the urge to try and stop again. Have smoked from when I was 15 and I'm now 30. So far Ive managed to cut down to 10 a day and my plan is to go cold turkey as of Mon.26/9/05 :scared: .So all the help and encouragement anyone can give is appreciated.
I find it the hardest when i come home from work as I have 2 young girls who seem to be able to drive m,e nuts and the first thing I want to do is escape to the garden and have a puff but just knowing there are others out there trying as well might just be enough to see me through.
i will have to look up this CD being spoke about.
so cheers for any help and i will keep everyone updated to my progress

hilary6 Sep 21st 2005 8:11 pm

Keep it up guys, You're doing great ;)

stevenpoole9 Sep 21st 2005 8:25 pm

I'v got 3 pieces of advice for you if you've just stopped up, or are about to stop smoking.
1, you're not "giving-up" smoking, you're stopping smoking. There's a big difference between giving up something that you want to do, (bad). and stopping doing something that you don't want to do. (good)
2, Save the money you would of spent on fags. If you could afford to spend it, you can afford to save it! Put it in a jar (super-glue the top on, I did) or open a bank account especially for the "fag money". Think of something you want, make it a realistic amount and plan to buy it. I had a new cd player for the car, and it was great on the day I actually went to a local hi-fi shop and bought it.
3, Write a list of the main reasons for stopping smoking. WHATEVER they are most of them will dissapear quite quickley once you quit. The bad smells, lack of money etc. If you can't remember why you wanted to stop in the 1st place, 2 months or so down the line you'll never remember. GOOD LUCK. Steve.

sunflower7 Sep 21st 2005 9:01 pm

:mad: Crap night at work, could have done with a cigarette, but didn't and now ok - Day 8 and inside of car cleaned, checked out savings accounts for cig money, and using it for the DIMIA next year :D :D

davykaz Sep 21st 2005 9:13 pm

:mad: Crap night at work, could have done with a cigarette, but didn't and now ok - Day 8 and inside of car cleaned, checked out savings accounts for cig money, and using it for the DIMIA next year :D :D

thats it Sunflower keep it Well done ;)

kris maynard Sep 22nd 2005 8:25 am

well done,

I had a bad morning Lois my little one shes 4 just has got a thing about how she wants her hair and no matter how you do it ,its wrong :mad: so we had this this morning just as we are trying to leave for school in the end i lost it and really shouted!!
Then we gets to school (she has only been there 2 weeks) and she has been fine going in with her friend darcy but today she cried (breaks me heart) then teacher (who looks like big scary ogre ) says whats wrong shes waiting for darcy I say well she says ive split them up as lois is getting confused with names WTF she is 4 years old I could not give a toss if she gets confused with her name id much rather she settled into school with her friend first. Needless to say come out the class in tears after leaving Lois with Mrs Merchant the nice teacher ! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH that made me want a fag but i havent and wont as i know it will not make me feel the slightest bit different, and I actually feel better my skin feels cleaner my mouth fresher and the fuzzy head is clearing and this is the beginning of day 4!!

Keep it going

Kris xx