Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Adelaide

Perth or Adelaide

Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth or Adelaide

Originally Posted by philnorris
Thanks for that its really put my mind at rest, I feel better about my partner getting on the train now. We have only used it once and that was to go from the city centre to Leederville it was pretty late and did see anything bad at all.
................and that is only ONE stop!!!
In addition when you travel late at night every train carries Transperth Guards
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Well that would be great, Mr Mover, but I wonder how long that will take, I can't see that heading our way until at least 5 years or more. I expect that in most states these kind of roads have been in place for years and before you say it, yes they have more population, but the population is rising here (due to immigrants) and the SA government cannot keep up with the needs that are arising.
I haven't really heard on the news regarding said road, but if you can enlighten me on the subject, I would much appreciate it.

Julie
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:38 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
i cannot advise on either Perth or Adelaide i have only been to Sydney and Queensland.

My friend emmigrated 16 months ago state sponsored to Adelaide and they couldn,t get a rental as when one became available there would be 30 or so couples after same house!

I didn't fancy Adelaide as i felt there was not as much there as other parts of Australia and that it looked a bit too much like England!!
Your confused, and you never even been to either place?? Tell me how does that qualify you to give the above advice??

Rentals are scarce in BOTH places, but 30 people turning up to one opening, yeah right!! There are plenty to go round recently had 2 or 3 sets of friends easily find nice affordable rentals in Adelaide no problem!!

There is so much going on in Adelaide so not sure what you are on about there! And finally it looks like England??? Where were you looking at or where are you from??

NO one can tell you what place is better for you than another, my PERSONAL opinion (I can have one I live there) is of course Adelaide we love it here BUT for you and what you want Perth maybe the one, best bit of advice I can give is dont believe everything you read on here, some just make it up, best thing is to visit both and make your PERSONAL choice!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Perth or Adelaide

Originally Posted by sunnyj
Final word is that although Adelaide isn't for us, it is still a big improvement from where we come from, which was "The Black Country".

Julie
I'm in the Black Country right now, and I agree that Adelaide is a vast improvement!

Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:39 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
I know of 4 families that have tried Adelaide and moved to Perth but none that have gone the other way.
I know of 2 that tried Perth and hated it one went back to the UK the other went ...... yep you guessed it to Adelaide and guess what ......they love it!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by s/nurse
I don't mind people knocking Adelaide, it makes me laugh.

We have lived here for just over two years.....living it and loving it.....don't knock it until you have tried it.

I would not say anything detremental about another place if I had not personally lived there, I hate it when people start by saying 'I have heard that...' do they really trust everything they 'hear'.

jacqui
I agree, I will listen to everyones valid comments about Adelaide, and totally agree whats for one isnt for another, we are like you living and loving it here in Adelaide!!

It does annoy me :curse:when people give off all this crap advice and they never even been, just read a few threads about a place and think they can give informed decisions all of a sudden!!

Mind you in my opinion anyone that comes on this or any other site and listens to alot of what is said to base where they will live needs their heads testing anyway!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:46 pm
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by Call me AL
I have just googled 'Perth is great' and got 657,000 hits.
I googled 'Adelaide is great' got 595,000.
I don't think it gets much more conclusive than that.

Close the thread Polly.
love it
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:47 pm
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by aston man
al ,i googled bored shitless,and perth came up 16382 times...
not giggled this much at threads in a while!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyj
Well that would be great, Mr Mover, but I wonder how long that will take, I can't see that heading our way until at least 5 years or more. I expect that in most states these kind of roads have been in place for years and before you say it, yes they have more population, but the population is rising here (due to immigrants) and the SA government cannot keep up with the needs that are arising.
I haven't really heard on the news regarding said road, but if you can enlighten me on the subject, I would much appreciate it.

Julie
http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/...xpressway.html
it says 4 lane on here, i have heard it was 6 lane with a dedicated truck lane, who knows with this goverment.............mm
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

BearFamily will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jollyswagman
i cannot advise on either Perth or Adelaide i have only been to Sydney and Queensland.

My friend emmigrated 16 months ago state sponsored to Adelaide and they couldn,t get a rental as when one became available there would be 30 or so couples after same house!

I didn't fancy Adelaide as i felt there was not as much there as other parts of Australia and that it looked a bit too much like England!!

Sham Williams;6264417]Your confused, and you never even been to either place?? Tell me how does that qualify you to give the above advice??

Rentals are scarce in BOTH places, but 30 people turning up to one opening, yeah right!! There are plenty to go round recently had 2 or 3 sets of friends easily find nice affordable rentals in Adelaide no problem!!

There is so much going on in Adelaide so not sure what you are on about there! And finally it looks like England??? Where were you looking at or where are you from??

NO one can tell you what place is better for you than another, my PERSONAL opinion (I can have one I live there) is of course Adelaide we love it here BUT for you and what you want Perth maybe the one, best bit of advice I can give is dont believe everything you read on here, some just make it up, best thing is to visit both and make your PERSONAL choice!!
hee hee....I haven't even been to Australia...so if you REALLY want an unbiased opinion...come ask me!!!! I'll talk crap for half an hour and you can STILL go away and make up your own mind!!!
Old May 1st 2008, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth:

I spent 18 months travelling round Oz, starting in Perth I then went - Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Katherine, Alice, Adelaide, Perth.

Out of all the places I went Sydney and Perth were my favourites and are the places I am looking to relocate to, Perth being first choice.

Adelaide was very similar to back home, the area around Victor Harbour in particular looked just like where I live, the weather was also more like the UK.

However, Adelaide property prices are cheaper than Perth although they are on the increase.

I think the best place to start would be to look at what is available work wise in both areas then look at what you can get housing wise in relation to possible wages.

I don't think that you will be disappointed with either choice providing you go with an open mind, a willingness to explore and get involved in all the things that are going on around you and that you give it enough time to settle in and create a social circle. I have always found that the best times are created by the people you're with rather than the location you are in.

Good luck with it all
Old May 1st 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

BearFamily will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by innojuk
For what it's worth:

I spent 18 months travelling round Oz, starting in Perth I then went - Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Katherine, Alice, Adelaide, Perth.

Out of all the places I went Sydney and Perth were my favourites and are the places I am looking to relocate to, Perth being first choice.

Adelaide was very similar to back home, the area around Victor Harbour in particular looked just like where I live, the weather was also more like the UK.

However, Adelaide property prices are cheaper than Perth although they are on the increase.

I think the best place to start would be to look at what is available work wise in both areas then look at what you can get housing wise in relation to possible wages.

I don't think that you will be disappointed with either choice providing you go with an open mind, a willingness to explore and get involved in all the things that are going on around you and that you give it enough time to settle in and create a social circle. I have always found that the best times are created by the people you're with rather than the location you are in.

Good luck with it all
Hello innojuk!

Good point!!! I gave you some karma for adding your point to the discussion!!

Regards Angela
Old May 1st 2008, 7:02 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=innojuk;6293227]For what it's worth:

I spent 18 months travelling home, the area around Victor Harbour in particular looked just like where I live, the weather was also more like the UK.
[quote]

You obivously wer,nt here this summer, when Adelaide became Australias hottest capital city.............mm