Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Adelaide

Perth or Adelaide

Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Perth or Adelaide

Originally Posted by Wendy
I actually enjoy myself more in the dives - people are more on my wavelength
Same here maybe thats because we grew up in the same area. Love dives.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Same here maybe thats because we grew up in the same area. Love dives.

Caverns and 42nd street!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Caverns and 42nd street!!
OMG...Blue Lace and VIP's (remember then)
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG...Blue Lace and VIP's (remember then)

Were you posh then?

I remember being throw out of VIP's

I used to go to Rafters a LOT! then down to Caverns for a pizza (my mate owned a pizza shop on Manchester road and she used to bring a pizza for us after work, also one for the bouncers which is the only reason we were allowed to have one ) - them were the days
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Were you posh then?

I remember being throw out of VIP's

I used to go to Rafters a LOT! then down to Caverns for a pizza (my mate owned a pizza shop on Manchester road and she used to bring a pizza for us after work, also one for the bouncers which is the only reason we were allowed to have one ) - them were the days
I went to Rafters once, that was enough

I used to go to Marshfields and Red Gin, now they were bloody crap, but when you're 16 who cares.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I went to Rafters once, that was enough

I used to go to Marshfields and Red Gin, now they were bloody crap, but when you're 16 who cares.

Mashfields, that's where me and my hubby went on our first date
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Think it's some sort of Mosque now
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Check the price of tickets from Perth to Melbourne/Sydney and then compare them with the price of tickets from Adelaide. Gee, I think we're onto something here!

The 8-hour drive to Melbourne is child's play. I drove it twice when I took the missus for a holiday Down Under in 2006.
I'm sorry to keep on about this but that length of drive to me is basically 2 days of my life wasted unless of course you take the longer route via the Great Ocean Road (which would take longer). It doesn't matter what city your travelling between in Oz going the quick way there isn't much to see bar outback.

Me personally I would never choose to live somewhere based on how much air fares cost to other citys - if your bothered what it costs to go somewhere else why not move there instead.

And I absoulutly agree with an earlier poster it doesn't matter where you go out, if your with great friends your have a great time.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Perth or Adelaide

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
I'm sorry to keep on about this but that length of drive to me is basically 2 days of my life wasted unless of course you take the longer route via the Great Ocean Road (which would take longer). It doesn't matter what city your travelling between in Oz going the quick way there isn't much to see bar outback.
It's a good scenic drive if you feel like saving a few quid and you're planning a few stops on the way. We stopped at Keith and Bendigo, among other places.

Me personally I would never choose to live somewhere based on how much air fares cost to other citys - if your bothered what it costs to go somewhere else why not move there instead.
Well yes, I don't know anyone who would simply move to a place based purely on how much it cost to fly to the other cities.

But the cheaper flights from Adelaide to the east cost are a definite bonus, particularly if you have friends/family over that way (as I have). And it's great for visiting Tassie; just drive to Melbourne, put your car on the ferry and float over the Strait. I've done that before too.

And I absoulutly agree with an earlier poster it doesn't matter where you go out, if your with great friends your have a great time.
Yep, that's true.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Think it's some sort of Mosque now

Funnily enough I'm really not suprised by that
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

Me too. Obviously not with Gareth..........
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mattandjulia
Me too. Obviously not with Gareth..........

That's alright then
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

That's alright then
I bet you can't guess who it was with then?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Speaking as a Perth boy born and bred, I love Adelaide! It's where my (English) wife and I will be moving there when we go back home next year. It's large enough to provide everything you need, but small enough to commute without any trouble. Adelaide's charm is in its small size, excellent planning, quaint old buildings, and beautiful tree-lined avenues.

Sounds like you haven't see much of the city beyond the CBD and Glenelg. I suggest you get out there and learn what Adelaide has to offer.

Check the price of tickets from Perth to Melbourne/Sydney and then compare them with the price of tickets from Adelaide. Gee, I think we're onto something here!

The 8-hour drive to Melbourne is child's play. I drove it twice when I took the missus for a holiday Down Under in 2006.

I have been out and about further than Glenelg, but this is the main beach touristy destination where they are pumping the money into, rather than developing somewhere else.
Maybe if the road infrastructure was better, then I could venture even further.
I took the kids to St Kilda Park last week, to get there, I had to endure roadworks on the South Road, which is normally bad enough with endless traffic lights. When I finally got to Port Wakefield Road there were more roadworks. Now if they had a main motorway from the South to the North, then it wouldn't be half so bad. Now I went to Murray Bridge as well this week and It didn't take me so long and it is further all because they have The Princes Highway, which was great to drive on. The biggest joke of all is The Southern Expressway, yes it cuts down on time, but that is only if it is going the way you want to go (it goes to the city until 2pm and then from the city after that and then the opposite times on the weekend) and look how long it is.
They say that when you drive to Melbourne from SA, there is naff all to see until you get to Victoria.
We have seen almost everything Adelaide has to offer and am bored with it.
Adelaide couldn't have been that interesting to you if you felt the need to go to Melbourne twice, after all why would you need to see anything else if there is enough here for you to do?
So before you say, "why don't you leave?"
We have been here 2 and a half years now and we would have left and gone interstate 2 years ago if the other half and earnt some decent money.

To the OP, sorry I don't intend for this to be a slanging match and go off topic, but some people won't allow others to express their opinion, without getting on their high horse.

Most people are happy in Adelaide and that is why they choose to stay, others go home or move interstate, or in our case, sit tight and wait until we can move.
Final word is that although Adelaide isn't for us, it is still a big improvement from where we come from, which was "The Black Country".

Julie
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

, to get there, I had to endure roadworks on the South Road, which is normally bad enough with endless traffic lights. When I finally got to Port Wakefield Road there were more roadworks. Now if they had a main motorway from the South to the North, then it wouldn't be half so bad.

And why do you think those road works are there...? It is the commencement of the Northern Expressway, a 6 lane highway that will link the main Sydney road at nurioopta to Port Adelaide.
which will intern link to south road creating a better north south flow.........mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.