Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Adelaide

Perth or Adelaide

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:16 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Adelaide

I have just googled 'Perth is great' and got 657,000 hits.
I googled 'Adelaide is great' got 595,000.
I don't think it gets much more conclusive than that.

Close the thread Polly.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
How dare you!!!

I'm gonna stick a pin up ur arse now
He'll like that

Originally Posted by Call me AL

Close the thread Polly.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:53 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Call me AL

Close the thread Polly.
al ,i googled bored shitless,and perth came up 16382 times...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
al ,i googled bored shitless,and perth came up 16382 times...
Mmmm, is Google broken then? The other 1 million hits mustn't have registered
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

starsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to all

Can someone explain to me why they think Perth is so boring? Are you people stuck out in the boondocks or something?

Seriously.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

I can see that i have unintentially upset some people with my post earlier in this thread, i would like to apologise for this, it is quite right that i have not been to Adelaide and the comment i made about it being like England was made from the fact a friend moved to Adelaide as they found it a plus that they had a lot of churches and it is green and they felt that would make it easier for them to settle as it felt familiar. I do appreciate that Adelaide has had scorching days (lucky you) we spent xmas time in the wet weather in Noosa!! I would much rather have been in Adelaide!
The reason i answered the post was because we had just had 2 provisional job offers one in Adelaide and one in Perth so we had been looking into house rentals and climate etc Basically i would just like to apologise if i caused offensive as it was not my intention!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:11 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crystal-gaze
Hi,

Probably going to get a major for & against here.

But anyway here goes, we are wishing to emigrate, der of course, but we just can`t decide Perth (in & around) or Adelaide.

We have friends in both areas & all they seem to do is confuse us so thought you guys as independants might be able to help, please.

We are a family of 4 my husband is an electrician, me a will be qualified nurse, I have a son 17yr (loves sports like football etc) & a daughter of 7yr (who wants a pony I might add).

So with these thing in mind can anyone helps with the selection, as a big country we want our rekky to be in the area we wish to settle in not darting all over areas, plus visiting is not the same as living in. Also the importance of choosing either Western or Southern Australia is my husband seeing as he just past 40yrs to save on the ilelts test, 3 yrs in occupation (Nov 2008) he can go sponsorship.

Pros cons etc for us on Perth or Adelaide please, thanks as so confused

Unlike most of the replies on here I'm something of an expert as to where the best places are to live in Oz as I've lived in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne so you'd be a fool to ignore my advice.

I can tell you catagorically that Adelaide is far superior to Perth!

Perth is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River u need an overnight stay and the Pinnacles (another local attraction) is several hours away. To get to the nearest large Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok. Nearby Freemantle is a dump although the old prison is worth a visit.

Adelaide has a free local bus service that runs from N Adelaide to the city, also free internet in the libraries. Rundle Mall is a good shopping area and Hindley Street is less tacky and sleazy than Northbridge in Perth. Glenelg beach is better than Cottesloe or Scarborough (the best Perth has to offer) although there is a nudist beach in Perth! You can do Kangeroo Island on a day trip from Adelaide and likewise the River Murray. Trams run in Adelaide unlike Perth.

Adelaide wins hands down

Hope this helps

PS One factor in Perth's favour, the swim pool in Fitness First in Cannington (Perth) is better than the one in Payneham (Adelaide).
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Assegai
although there is a nudist beach in Perth!
There's one in Adelaide as well
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
There's one in Adelaide as well
Have you been checking it out Wendy
jacqui
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:29 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starsun
Can someone explain to me why they think Perth is so boring? Are you people stuck out in the boondocks or something?

Seriously.
Because some people came here 25 years ago when it was just a large country town and assume it is still like that (even the last 3 years have seen major change).

Shops aren't open on Sunday because the populus didn't want it as they would rather be at the beach etc but the mass influx of poms recently would rather be in Target than doing something fun.

Or because some people live 40km from the city and won't travel more than 5 minutes.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

"so you dont like it then.......mm"

Its ok, but it aint Las Vegas!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Kristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura about

And that's a bad thing?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:34 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
"so you dont like it then.......mm"

Its ok, but it aint Las Vegas!!
If you compare it with " lost wages" then you have problems..........mm
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Have you been checking it out Wendy
jacqui

No, it was Julia
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Assegai
Unlike most of the replies on here I'm something of an expert as to where the best places are to live in Oz as I've lived in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne so you'd be a fool to ignore my advice.

I can tell you catagorically that Adelaide is far superior to Perth!

Perth is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River u need an overnight stay and the Pinnacles (another local attraction) is several hours away. To get to the nearest large Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok. Nearby Freemantle is a dump although the old prison is worth a visit.

Adelaide has a free local bus service that runs from N Adelaide to the city, also free internet in the libraries. Rundle Mall is a good shopping area and Hindley Street is less tacky and sleazy than Northbridge in Perth. Glenelg beach is better than Cottesloe or Scarborough (the best Perth has to offer) although there is a nudist beach in Perth! You can do Kangeroo Island on a day trip from Adelaide and likewise the River Murray. Trams run in Adelaide unlike Perth.

Adelaide wins hands down

Hope this helps

PS One factor in Perth's favour, the swim pool in Fitness First in Cannington (Perth) is better than the one in Payneham (Adelaide).
Please tell me this is a wind up post! If this is an expert opinion please find another subject to be an "expert" in. Of course I'm biased because I live in Scarborough, Perth

No offensive is intended but when people knock Perth because its remote - "You have to fly if you want to visit another city ... blah blah blah" you simple need to wake up. The closet city to Adelaide is Melbourne which is the same journey time as London - Nuremberg by car. This remotetest city stuff is rubbish it doesn't matter what Oz city you live in - to visit another city is only realistically done by air.

If you think Subi is dull you must have been there at 6am in the morning And to call Perth beaches OK I almost find offensive You will not find another city in Australia or maybe the world with so many beaches accessable from the city. White sand, indian ocean, clean, and not built on - no high rise buildings for us thank you very much (well 1 actually).

Free bus's and free internet access in libraries ... tick ... and ... tick.

There is absolutely loads to do in Perth as there is in any other city maybe we just dont advertise it - to keep all you Perth bashers away Actually I think I may compile a list and post it on here

and yes I have been to Adelaide - and its great - just rather have the indian ocean instead of the Southern, and every Australian I talk to who I mention Adelaide to pull a funny face followed by ohhh to many guns there you know. Of course they may be sh**ing me the same as NSW people tell everyone Queenslanders are mad

Perth wins HANDS UP!!! (as they say in Adelaide)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.