Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Adelaide

Perth or Adelaide

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth or Adelaide

well, 3 pages of replies and i think that youve reached a conclusion, youre all biased, and i should know cos i dont live there either

Interestingly (for me) this debate has meaning as I too am ready to move soon from this wonderful country to your hallowed shores, and while I enjoyed immensely my 1 week recce to Perth, the other half is worried about there being not enough to do in the immediate area, based on what her colleagues at work (who havent been to Perth) have told her.We also visited Adelaide for 4 days, which according to our neighbour on the flight into Adullday, was approximately 2 days too long.And yet hes lived there 15 years!We found Adelaide a bit scruffy, which may be unfair as it was really busy with the fringe, but it did have a bit more of an historic 'feel' to it, perhaps due to the churches? and older buildings? The Adelaide hills however were fabulous, i wonder has Perth got similar countryside? Not sure, so cant comment. The wife thought Melbourne was just the vickers knickers, but I found it too manic, but again, it was Formula 1 weekend, so maybe thats not a fair judgement?

What we need here is a list of pros and cons written objectively by the dwellers of the major destinations in Oz, not opinions but hard facts of what the weather is like, food, restaurants, beaches....you get the picture then we can compare each on its own merits.

The one thing I can say with absolute certainty is after spending a grand total of 3 weeks in Oz, every place I visited was nicer than where I am now.

There was a previous reply concerning the licencing for Electrical trades, if this is to be your hubbies preferred occupation in Oz, youve got to check out the work situation, as licencing seems to change a huge amount from one territory to another.

I have spoken to a chap from Adelaide recently in my trade and he loves the place and can get licenced, unlike me if i go th Perth, which would be my first choice.
So come on , lets get a pros and cons page going!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Bristolbeary....Perth 1-0 so far
I was typing while you replied!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:47 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

well we drove to the Victorian snowfields last ski season from Adelaide and probably will again this year. Doubt we'd make the drive from Perth!

Oh yes, and driving to Melbourne for the rugby league world cup in November.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris1386
Bristolbeary....Perth 1-0 so far
I was typing while you replied!
Go Perth!

I can really only give you pros and cons for Perth so here go's

PROS:
Beaches and lots of them for all different things... swimming, surfing, kite-boarding, wind-surfing, jetskiing, kayacking, dog walking, sailing, diving, snorkaling, whale-watching, dolphins, seals....

Kings Park the biggest park within a city in the world and fantasic views of Perth CBD, swan river and has concerts/outside cinema throughout year.

Swan Valley - wine anyone and the good stuff to.

Public transport - Clean, fast, cheap, reliable (also see cons).

People by and large are friendly and you get all that Ozzie mateship going on

Lots of open space and parks with really good play equipment for the kids + free BBQ's

Rottnett island.

Climate (although thats a con as well)

Margaret River only 3 hours away - more wine, caves, big time surfing, and yet more amazing beaches. Monkey Mia, Coral Bay, Shark Bay and Ningaloo reef up north are amazing for a holiday.

CONS:

The standard of driving is appalling I'd hazard a guess the worst in the world - speeding, drink driving, tail gating, not knowing how round-a-bouts work, not letting you out sydrome. Everyday someone gets killed - only this week a drunk driver overtook 2 cars - crashed into someones house killing their 1 year old daughter - it makes you wanna cry.

Climate - yes its good but summer can be unbearable. 44 degree boxing day nearly killed me and 2-3 weeks of constant 38. Air con is essential here (and in your car!)

So far from my family - which can upset me when my daughter asks for her grandparents.

Flies ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh flies (2 months a year around November)

Dullsville - yes surburbs will be dead by 8pm, and shops shut at 5pm (9pm on Thurs) and are shut Sundays.

Traffic jams - yes despite what the glossy mags say - traffic is a mare!

Trains - please transperth more carriages (worse than london underground in rush hour)
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
well we drove to the Victorian snowfields last ski season from Adelaide and probably will again this year. Doubt we'd make the drive from Perth!

Oh yes, and driving to Melbourne for the rugby league world cup in November.
You'd be there quicker by plane from Perth though

Seriously? My example of driving 10 hours to Melbourne and 10 hours back - yes you can do it but why? What i'm trying to highlight is how remote people are regardless of which city they live in.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Go Perth!

I can really only give you pros and cons for Perth so here go's

PROS:
Beaches and lots of them for all different things... swimming, surfing, kite-boarding, wind-surfing, jetskiing, kayacking, dog walking, sailing, diving, snorkaling, whale-watching, dolphins, seals....

Kings Park the biggest park within a city in the world and fantasic views of Perth CBD, swan river and has concerts/outside cinema throughout year.

Swan Valley - wine anyone and the good stuff to.

Public transport - Clean, fast, cheap, reliable (also see cons).

People by and large are friendly and you get all that Ozzie mateship going on

Lots of open space and parks with really good play equipment for the kids + free BBQ's

Rottnett island.

Climate (although thats a con as well)

Margaret River only 3 hours away - more wine, caves, big time surfing, and yet more amazing beaches. Monkey Mia, Coral Bay, Shark Bay and Ningaloo reef up north are amazing for a holiday.

CONS:

The standard of driving is appalling I'd hazard a guess the worst in the world - speeding, drink driving, tail gating, not knowing how round-a-bouts work, not letting you out sydrome. Everyday someone gets killed - only this week a drunk driver overtook 2 cars - crashed into someones house killing their 1 year old daughter - it makes you wanna cry.

Climate - yes its good but summer can be unbearable. 44 degree boxing day nearly killed me and 2-3 weeks of constant 38. Air con is essential here (and in your car!)

So far from my family - which can upset me when my daughter asks for her grandparents.

Flies ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh flies (2 months a year around November)

Dullsville - yes surburbs will be dead by 8pm, and shops shut at 5pm (9pm on Thurs) and are shut Sundays.

Traffic jams - yes despite what the glossy mags say - traffic is a mare!

Trains - please transperth more carriages (worse than london underground in rush hour)
Sorry to butt in here, but moving to Perth very soon and as my partner doesn’t drive it is likely she will have to get the train. I have heard there is a lot of trouble such as graffiti, problem kids hanging about, thefts etc, I must admit this does worry me or is it just the media over exaggerating.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:07 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be there quicker by plane from Perth though

Seriously? My example of driving 10 hours to Melbourne and 10 hours back - yes you can do it but why? What i'm trying to highlight is how remote people are regardless of which city they live in.
when you're a family of 5 with a truck load of ski gear, driving makes good economic sense. Door to door convenience, no faffing around at airports with fingers crossed all your stuff will show up on the carousel and no need for a hire car. Plus it gives you the oportunity to see and explore some of this huge country.

It's not a mammoth trip and I'm purely highlighting the fact that it is do-able.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by philnorris
Sorry to butt in here, but moving to Perth very soon and as my partner doesn’t drive it is likely she will have to get the train. I have heard there is a lot of trouble such as graffiti, problem kids hanging about, thefts etc, I must admit this does worry me or is it just the media over exaggerating.
Yes there is a graffiti issue but it seems to be tagging not Banksy type stuff. There are graffiti police who go around cleaning it up as soon as it is reported. We haven't noticed kids hanging around (we use the Joondalup line). And all the stations are in the middle of the freeway and are highly visable. But the media do seem to focus on the negative in the UK.

Thefts I have heard of but appear less than you'd get in the UK.

Public transport is out of this world compared to what we used to get back home. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Yes there is a graffiti issue but it seems to be tagging not Banksy type stuff. There are graffiti police who go around cleaning it up as soon as it is reported. We haven't noticed kids hanging around (we use the Joondalup line). And all the stations are in the middle of the freeway and are highly visable. But the media do seem to focus on the negative in the UK.

Thefts I have heard of but appear less than you'd get in the UK.

Public transport is out of this world compared to what we used to get back home. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for that its really put my mind at rest, I feel better about my partner getting on the train now. We have only used it once and that was to go from the city centre to Leederville it was pretty late and did see anything bad at all.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by philnorris
Thanks for that its really put my mind at rest, I feel better about my partner getting on the train now. We have only used it once and that was to go from the city centre to Leederville it was pretty late and did see anything bad at all.
Forget to say there is a special transport police force that patrol the stations and trains - right bunch of mini hitlers but they do a good job.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

starsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to all

just to add my two cents worth:

perth

pros: beaches, outdoor spaces, parks, margaret river, dunsborough, good restaurants, nice people, plenty of travelling opportunities along the WA coast.

cons: shops close at 5pm, suburbs boring as all hell, public transport good but does not run nearly often enough, small-town mentality.

I have also lived in Sydney. Perth is smaller, quieter and less vibrant than Sydney but the beaches are better, the traffic way better (what traffic??) and the rent is probably a little bit cheaper.

And for the person who said Perth drivers are crazy - oh my god you have no idea what crazy drivers are. Try Moscow. They are nuts here - no rules or regulations at ALL. And they all drive drunk and then bribe the police. Perth is a piece of cake.

All I can say - I grew up in Perth and I think as a child there is no better place. Seriously, for me it was brilliant. The barbeques, the sports in the park, camping, beaches, summer....so good. When I hit my 20s I was dying to leave because I was so bored. 4 years later, may come back soon now that I am married and want an easier life.

So I guess it just depends on what you want.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
when you're a family of 5 with a truck load of ski gear, driving makes good economic sense. Door to door convenience, no faffing around at airports with fingers crossed all your stuff will show up on the carousel and no need for a hire car. Plus it gives you the oportunity to see and explore some of this huge country.

It's not a mammoth trip and I'm purely highlighting the fact that it is do-able.
Glad we agree its a huge country.

Wouldn't you rather spend the extra 2 days of driving a car skiing though?

If your keen on skiing WA is not the place to come got to admit that one. Do sand dunes count as ski slopes
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:02 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Assegai
Unlike most of the replies on here I'm something of an expert as to where the best places are to live in Oz as I've lived in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne so you'd be a fool to ignore my advice.

I can tell you catagorically that Adelaide is far superior to Perth!

Perth is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River u need an overnight stay and the Pinnacles (another local attraction) is several hours away. To get to the nearest large Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok. Nearby Freemantle is a dump although the old prison is worth a visit.

Adelaide has a free local bus service that runs from N Adelaide to the city, also free internet in the libraries. Rundle Mall is a good shopping area and Hindley Street is less tacky and sleazy than Northbridge in Perth. Glenelg beach is better than Cottesloe or Scarborough (the best Perth has to offer) although there is a nudist beach in Perth! You can do Kangeroo Island on a day trip from Adelaide and likewise the River Murray. Trams run in Adelaide unlike Perth.

Adelaide wins hands down

Hope this helps

PS One factor in Perth's favour, the swim pool in Fitness First in Cannington (Perth) is better than the one in Payneham (Adelaide).
Please tell me this is a wind up post! If this is an expert opinion please find another subject to be an "expert" in. Of course I'm biased because I live in Scarborough, Perth

No offensive is intended but when people knock Perth because its remote - "You have to fly if you want to visit another city ... blah blah blah" you simple need to wake up. The closet city to Adelaide is Melbourne which is the same journey time as London - Nuremberg by car. This remotetest city stuff is rubbish it doesn't matter what Oz city you live in - to visit another city is only realistically done by air.

If you think Subi is dull you must have been there at 6am in the morning And to call Perth beaches OK I almost find offensive You will not find another city in Australia or maybe the world with so many beaches accessable from the city. White sand, indian ocean, clean, and not built on - no high rise buildings for us thank you very much (well 1 actually).

Free bus's and free internet access in libraries ... tick ... and ... tick.

There is absolutely loads to do in Perth as there is in any other city maybe we just dont advertise it - to keep all you Perth bashers away Actually I think I may compile a list and post it on here

and yes I have been to Adelaide - and its great - just rather have the indian ocean instead of the Southern, and every Australian I talk to who I mention Adelaide to pull a funny face followed by ohhh to many guns there you know. Of course they may be sh**ing me the same as NSW people tell everyone Queenslanders are mad

Perth wins HANDS UP!!! (as they say in Adelaide)

REEL EM IN
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Assegai
REEL EM IN
Not sure if you think my intentions are something else or I'm misunderstanding you but the reason for this post was that I've been keeping upto date with the forum but haven't posted for ages.

Your post compelled me to post the comment I did. Your comments about Perth was 1 in a long list from others who put people of Perth because its remote, boring etc. Saying the beaches were just ok would be misleading to say the least to someone reading it considering moving to Oz.

Read my previous posts I hated Perth when I 1st arrived and its now won me over. I now realise my issues weren't with Perth but the whole moving to Oz, missing family, learning how everyday things are done differently in a new country and the stress of getting a job before our money ran out.

I've posted my pros and cons and really the only way to know if you like somewhere is to live there - and basically people will always defend the place they live as they think its the best (otherwise you wouldn't live there would you?)

And the reason I haven't posted for ages is because of comments like that, that try to demean/put down/dismiss a poster because he/she doesn't agree with their views.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Right I'm done with defending Perth for the day, I'm off to bed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.