Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Just about all ready for my trip. Only to find that both my managers for references are away and despite the many promises of written statements, i've nothing, yet. Do you need them for the interview/test stage or are they required if successful and at a later stage?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:54 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Just about all ready for my trip. Only to find that both my managers for references are away and despite the many promises of written statements, i've nothing, yet. Do you need them for the interview/test stage or are they required if successful and at a later stage?
If memory serves me right, they only asked my managers for references after interview and I had accepted their verbal job offer.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swigski
If memory serves me right, they only asked my managers for references after interview and I had accepted their verbal job offer.
Thanks
Hope the viva went well!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:12 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ahtt
Hey Swigski & Robbost

I've been quietly watching in the background over the past months how you're move has been going. I've picked up quite a bit by reading about the things you've come across like the driving licence, the course and the pay. It's all been really helpful so thanks.

I've been offered a post of ICPara subject to the training like yourselves having attended the interview and testing back in January. They've recently contacted me to say that I could start on Oct or New Year course. But I'm still a little hesitant. Mainly coz I'm not sure how life outside the ambulance service would be. Not sure exactly what I'm asking here, but feeling a bit anxious about cost of renting a place over there, and developing a social life/ network as I'm doing pretty good in that respect here.

Don't know whether these were things that you thought about before moving out but if so just wondering how it all turned out since you got there.
Hi, Didn't get to do my viva today as too busy on road. So I've had a reprieve of a couple of weeks. Rather have done it and got it out the way!
In my situation, I had no doubts whatsoever that it was the right decision. Had a cushy life, relatively well off, well in the comfort zone in work and lots of friends/good social life.
Get a career break for 3 years and give it a go! Will you spend the rest of your life regretting it otherwise.? It would be an amazing experience if nothing else.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

ahtt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Didn't get to do my viva today as too busy on road. So I've had a reprieve of a couple of weeks. Rather have done it and got it out the way!
In my situation, I had no doubts whatsoever that it was the right decision. Had a cushy life, relatively well off, well in the comfort zone in work and lots of friends/good social life.
Get a career break for 3 years and give it a go! Will you spend the rest of your life regretting it otherwise.? It would be an amazing experience if nothing else.
Hi. Thanks to the pair of you for that. It sounds more positive than negative. I've been over to Sydney quite a bit over the years so I know what the place is about. I think it's time to sit down a make a list of pro's and con's. No doubt I'll keep watching what people are saying on here too, keep us all posted! Cheers.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by ahtt
Hi. Thanks to the pair of you for that. It sounds more positive than negative. I've been over to Sydney quite a bit over the years so I know what the place is about. I think it's time to sit down a make a list of pro's and con's. No doubt I'll keep watching what people are saying on here too, keep us all posted! Cheers.
Just to add a little bit from my perspective. I am just starting my 3rd week on the road now. The job is essentially the same...but a little behind in some areas (alternate pathways instead of everybody to ED). As has been said, it can be hard work on the day shifts - I've done 2x 15hr so far! On the other hand, I've had some nice night shifts - just last week, I only did 3 jobs on one of them (never left station til 2130 and then had plenty of time in a bed, not a chair). There's also some nice benefits - salary packaging, meal entertainment, novated lease cars etc. However, I am not here because of the job....the job is what pays for what I do in my time off. Let me just say that 5 days off is real nice . I had been permanent relief in the UK for over 5 years so was lucky to get more than 2 off at a time without requesting leave! 4 on and 5 days off rocks!

The people here are great, real friendly and I'm building my social network very well. I feel I have really landed on my feet and am so glad I made the move....my quality of life has certainly improved. I'm on a run of 5 off and have been out in glorious sunshine, 21c all day and not a cloud in sight. Oh, did I mention I was loving the 5 days off??
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck on your interview! Just relax and answer everything honestly and you will be fine. They wont contact your references until about a month after the interview. FYI from what I hear the October class is full and the earliest induction class is March. Plenty of time to get everything in order!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Recently returned from Sydney after testing, med & interview etc....enjoyed it and took in the sights as well. All round a great experience!!
Had e-mail to say i've passed and choosing between SAC, Bankstown and Parrmatta for induction period. As well as reference checks to be completed.
Hopefully all will be ok.

Thanks to all here who've given advice, and I hope you're all settling in and are enjoying it!

Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

grubman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well down and it's good that you found out quickly. I go in 7 weeks time and can't wait! . Looking forward to the whole experience. Were you happy with the way everything went and did they give you an indication of when they want you go? Good that you get a few choices.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grubman
Well down and it's good that you found out quickly. I go in 7 weeks time and can't wait! . Looking forward to the whole experience. Were you happy with the way everything went and did they give you an indication of when they want you go? Good that you get a few choices.
Thanks
Good luck for your test week!
Was very happy with the way it went, spent a lot of time worrying prior to going, and found that I need not have worried so much!
At the mo i'm waiting for reference checks and courses are avail for nxt spring onwards.
Long road ahead, but it'll be well worth it all

Last edited by I wan tee go oz; Aug 15th 2009 at 7:24 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:42 pm
Banned

Recently returned from Sydney after testing, med & interview etc....enjoyed it and took in the sights as well. All round a great experience!!
Had e-mail to say i've passed and choosing between SAC, Bankstown and Parrmatta for induction period. As well as reference checks to be completed.
Hopefully all will be ok.

Thanks to all here who've given advice, and I hope you're all settling in and are enjoying it!

With regards to choosing your station, it is not for the induction period. That should be your permanent station AFTER your induction.
I was given the SAC but have not seen the place yet and this seems to be the case with a lot of the RPL ers. Basically, during your 20 weeks on road, you will have 10 at P1 level somewhere and 10 at IC level somewhere. You may then be lucky to get the station you opted for??
Is just something you should bear in mind when it comes to deciding where to live
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

With regards to choosing your station, it is not for the induction period. That should be your permanent station AFTER your induction.
I was given the SAC but have not seen the place yet and this seems to be the case with a lot of the RPL ers. Basically, during your 20 weeks on road, you will have 10 at P1 level somewhere and 10 at IC level somewhere. You may then be lucky to get the station you opted for??
Is just something you should bear in mind when it comes to deciding where to live
Hi Swigski, ta for that, its what I meant to write, must have been tired or

Hope you're enjoying it, presume you must have had viva etc by now and well on way if not already finished induction
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:11 am
Banned

Hi Swigski, ta for that, its what I meant to write, must have been tired or

Hope you're enjoying it, presume you must have had viva etc by now and well on way if not already finished induction
Hi, Yes still enjoying it. Had viva last week which I passed. Have 4 weeks left then hopefully get the letter confirming my ability to practice as an ICP.
Viva is really nothing to worry about so long as you learn the protocol book well which you will have ample time for in your 8 week induction!!
The guy who deals with RPL staff is swopping roles with someone else this week and the viva format is going to change apparently. As long as you know your stuff should be no probs.

Good luck and try and enjoy it. Can get quite stressful at times initially but you just need to remember why you wanted to make the move in the first place.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:38 am
Just Joined

robbost is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Yes still enjoying it. Had viva last week which I passed. Have 4 weeks left then hopefully get the letter confirming my ability to practice as an ICP.
Viva is really nothing to worry about so long as you learn the protocol book well which you will have ample time for in your 8 week induction!!
The guy who deals with RPL staff is swopping roles with someone else this week and the viva format is going to change apparently. As long as you know your stuff should be no probs.

Good luck and try and enjoy it. Can get quite stressful at times initially but you just need to remember why you wanted to make the move in the first place.
Hi Swigski, congrats on your viva success last week, i met you last week at the AEC after and before your testing , glad things went well for you .Here is my e-mail address
you asked for so you could forward some info.
[email protected] much appreciated and have fun in Rockdale !!....ps in respect to the stations you`ve been offered , the 3 you mentioned are the busiest in Sydney so batten down the hatches and take a deep breath !!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Swigski and good luck to u

Still waiting for reference checks to come through.

Hope everyone else is doing ok, and good luck to anyone going for testing, medical etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.