Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

A 457 visa is only a temporary visa, and i have found most government agencys will only employ people who are pemanent visa holders or citizens for permanent positions. They may consider temp visa holders for temp positions.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by evomedia
Hi guys,

My partner was a registered UK paramedic back in the UK with 10 years front line experience, she has just moved over to Sydney a week ago as I recently was transferred to my works Sydney office on a Sponsored 457 visa.

Obviously my partner and my little boy came with me on my Visa, and we were under the impression that she would be able to work here on my 457 visa and as Paramedics still seem in demand on the most wanted list that she would have few issues just applying for the service when we got here.

We seem to be wrong, after countless emails with no response she finally got someone on the phone from recruitment, the conversation basically went

"Hi I'm Amanda, I've recently arrived in the country, I'm a qualified Paramedic here on a 457 visa do you have any vacancies at present..."

Answer, "we know about 457 visas and won't employ you unless your a perminent resident" and they then put phone down on her without even waiting for her reply

As you can imagine she then called me in flood of tears...

Can someone give us some advice, as they were so rude to her she's basically lost as to what to do next. She loves the service and just wants some advice on if she needs to get another type of visa, or if they just won't recruit UK paramedics any more. Sure others here either work for the service or know the best process, she is already in Sydney and is feeling very lost without any friends around and has no idea how to put her 10 years of front line experience to good use. Seems madness to just discount highly qualified front line staff like this. So any help is desperately needed
Hi EvoMedia, this seems unusual as I am working for ASNSW on a 457 as are many others. I have just been sponsored for Permanent Residency and my papers were submitted last week. I've been here 26 months now working as Intensive Care Para.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

evomedia is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe they have recently changed their recruitment policy then, seems stupid really especially as the 457 gives tax relief on food and accommodation. It seems like pointless management policy rather than an actual thought out stance. She has 4 years on the 457 and can switch over easily enough but would lose all the advantages of the 457 visa.

I thought the government was trying to move away from points based to the 457 as it means they get more targeted people, anyway, looks like she'll have to do yet another visa application and another set of fees for pretty much no reason. Otherwise by the time she can apply she'll be practically de-skilled.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

crellins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Seriousley thinking of moving down to Aus with the family, can anyone tell me what paramedic recruitment is like at the moment.

What is the pay like and what job locations are available.
I know there was some visa issues last year with regards to LA, has it been resolved yet.

Thank you in advance

Sean
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crellins
Hi All,

Seriousley thinking of moving down to Aus with the family, can anyone tell me what paramedic recruitment is like at the moment.

What is the pay like and what job locations are available.
I know there was some visa issues last year with regards to LA, has it been resolved yet.

Thank you in advance

Sean
Hi,

LA is ongoing and probably will not be resolved.
Try St. John amb in WA.
They are having a massive recruitment drive at the mo.
There is a thread on this site, just search SJAA.
Predominantly people are based in Perth, although you can go into a country location after a period of time if you wish. Pay is between $76k to $85 basic, depending on how long you've been a Para in UK. Techs also sponsored in, and go straight onto Para training after doing conversion course.

If WA is not for you, then QLD service are recruiting, or if you can get a permanent visa, Victoria service are recruiting frequently. Not sure about S. Aus.

Phil
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Well all I can say is that I'm frankly shocked by all this... so as an update, my partner is basically stuck in Sydney then with no prospect of getting work as a paramedic thanks to their employment policy now, so that's her 10 years front line experience down the drain then. Well done NSW for ruining a persons career. Why is it that the people who do the most for others get the worst deals in life?

By the time she becomes a permanent resident in 4 years she'll be as good as deskilled, so again well done NSW health for taking an experienced paramedic off the road for good essentially. Someone should tell the authorities to get a grip and consider its real people they are talking about here, and what happens when you have qualified people sat in the country being rejected for any possibility of work, it means their skills slowly evaporate. I find it frankly unbelievable and disgusting to turn experienced paramedics into unskilled workers,

So whats her option to move half way across Australia to get a job? yep what a great option, my job in Sydney and we have a boy of 18 months old, so shall I pull the family apart so she can work?

It's management policy gone mad yet again, I don't understand how people can be treated so badly when they spend their whole life helping others. She is only here because my job moved, she didn't come to take a job from anyone or on a whim, she's here but basically has been told sorry you may as well throw your training in a pit and bury it.

Its not like we didn't try to get information before the move, I spent 3 months emailing them asking about recruitment before we left without a single response. Unbelievable really. If they intend to destroy peoples chance at work then at least reply to their emails before they arrive, it not hard, thats what makes me the most frustrated, that no one could even be bothered to reply and say that sorry we don't accept your type of visa any more.

Do all organisations dealing with care of other have so little respect for the people providing the care. Frankly as a bystander and someone working in a different career its made me feel sick having to watch her feel so much despair at how this turned out, what a welcome to a new country! Honestly a 457 visa is a work visa, she's entitled to work, she had to have a medical to work as a paramedic, she's here for 4 years and can then become a resident anyway, but the only people who seem to ignore that fact is NSW health. So she's entitled to work but the service refuse to let her. She's in the country even, I simply find it astounding, even the health minister took an interest in this and described the situation as madness. She doesn't require sponsorship as she's already here, why not just allow people to work? Its nothing less than discrimination and makes no sense, all it does it turn experienced front line staff into yet another unskilled jobless person.

It means she'll have to work in menial low paid work... what a way to treat medical professionals is all I can say. Complete pointless policy making that does nothing but harm hard working medical professionals, its just stupidity to stop just one type of work visa from being able to work, all it does it cost people their livelihood. She's had to accept now that unless we move back to the UK and I give up my job that she'll not be able to work again front line. I can understand that people looking for sponsorship to come in could be refused or told no, but when she came in via my visa it simply makes no sense not to employ her, its just throwing experience down the drain then.

What makes it even worse is if anyone tried to find this out in advance and type 457 plus "Intensive Care Ambulance Paramedic" they'll find lists of sites that say a 457 visa is accepted to work as a paramedic, if that's changed then tell the people coming in would be a good start, even our visa person coming in knew nothing about this. All that's happened is she's arrived and then been told no you can work.

Last edited by evomedia; Aug 15th 2011 at 5:34 am.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=evomedia;9559757]Well all I can say is that I'm frankly shocked by all this... so as an update, my partner is basically stuck in Sydney then with no prospect of getting work as a paramedic thanks to their employment policy now, so that's her 10 years front line experience down the drain then. Well done NSW ambulance service for ruining a persons career. Why is it that the people who do the most for others get the worst deals in life?....

That must be beyond frustrating for you both.
I went over July '09 for fitness/medical/interview, passed the lot, returned home, then heard nothing for ages, until rumours of LA being withdrawn etc.
I'm sure there were others in the same position as me also. Was a bit annoyed that I went all that way and at great cost only to find out later that the LA was actually withdrawn when I was there!
Although it was NSW health that withdrew the LA, much to ASNSW's disapointment.
Maybe your partner could apply for one of the private ambulance services in NSW or voluntary, e.g. St. John until the elusive LA is sorted, in order to keep her skills up?

Phil
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Its just the pointlessness of the policy, I can understand that primary applicants not be granted a 457 visa if they are not required, or even that NSW won't sponsor people to gain 457 visas, but its that she's my partner and I'm the 457 visa applicant, I was required, she was then granted entry as my partner, so its me who's needed, and she shouldn't be judged on her visa type, all thats going to happen is we are likely to just head back to the UK and my company will suffer for a LA agreement that doesn't consider 457 partners are not main applicants and will be here anyway.

That's the frustration, that she can't work even though she has a right to work. She wasn't refused a visa because its she was granted entry on mine. She's just being penalized for being here now, completely pointless policy, all it does is mean she's not going to be paying the tax she would have been. So from a country point of view its only detrimental

Last edited by evomedia; Aug 15th 2011 at 5:53 am.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Hi Guy's

this is for the colleagues who are all ready working in NSW.

I'm putting a paper together for a conference next year on clinical toxinology. I was hoping someone could give me a run down on the services education in terrestrial and marine envenomation. I.e. what type of training do you receive and also what management protocols do you have, antivenom, magnesium etc.

Feel free to pm me.

I'm an ex uk para now working for QAS and educate students/para's on clinical toxinology.

Cheers

John