Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Notified a few weeks ago my application was complete, now just have to wait for the new labour agreement to employ international paras to go through. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later so we can all rest a little easier!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

Have they put a hold on recruiting internationally or something? Whats the story there?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

From what I was told from recruitment, the Labour agreement to employ international paras expires 30 Sept 2009, so, ASNSW is waiting on a renewal from the NSW Health Department before they process anymore visas. Thats all I know.. Have you heard anything more?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

Nope didn't even hear that bit.
There's a bit of resistance to the whole lnternational RPL thing from some of the troops on the ground as they've been slow on putting on the inhouse ICP courses.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

More IC paras the better, if you ask me! The email didn't sound discouraging, seems like the visas might be on hold due to an administrative hiccup which may or may not slow the process down a bit. The lack of others hearing about this is probably a good indication that things will progress as normal, eventually.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope things progress ok, haven't heard anything about the delay. Although references haven't been contacted yet.
An expat ambo formerly from my area in UK is coming over v.soon to visit his old work colleagues at my station, I'll see if he can shed any light on the situation.

Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

An expat ambo formerly from my area in UK is coming over v.soon to visit his old work colleagues at my station, I'll see if he can shed any light on the situation.

[/QUOTE]

Nothing heard about any delays from expat ambo mate.
Hope things get moving soon, did hear that reference checks can take a while. At least it'll give things time for the exchange rate to pick up, I hope!!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Good to hear A friend from my station just got his skills assessed, and is in the process of scheduling his interview, which is a good sign for us! My references are already in and am just waiting for the formal letter of offer so I can lodge my visa. Hopefully it comes soon!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 10:29 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

They have just interviewed for an ICP course and are in the process of upgrading current level 4 staff to ICP status so may keep some of the discontent down for a while.
Reference checks don't take long. They just email the referees. Mine were done in a day. Just had a 2.5 % pay increase for this year. Management had been trying to attach lots of conditions for a slightly bigger increase but the staff rejected it.
Xchange rate is dire at the moment but OZ (so far) seems to be relatively unaffected. Hopefully, things will change, house prices crash and rate will go back up
3 jobs today on ICP car, 2 of which were no-transport!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

trotters101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Apologies for this but just about to put my application in and want to make sure I've got up to date info.

The way I see it going is this;

1) Fill in application form and send with letter from med director/clinical manager regarding skills and any certificates from courses

2) hopefully get accepted and invited for interview

3) get through interview

4) get job offer

5) apply for visa

6) provide immunisation and criminal checks (ACPO)

7) do driving license light rigid thing on arrival in OZ

8) start work, get paid!!!

Have I got this right or not? I'm thinking of leaving the UK in May 2010 to work my way down to arrive in Oz in Nov 2010. Have I left enough time do you think?

All replies gratefully received.

Trotters

Last edited by trotters101; Oct 8th 2009 at 9:15 am.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by trotters101
Hello everyone,

Apologies for this but just about to put my application in and want to make sure I've got up to date info.

The way I see it going is this;

1) Fill in application form and send with letter from med director/clinical manager regarding skills and any certificates from courses

2) hopefully get accepted and invited for interview

3) get through interview

4) get job offer

5) apply for visa

6) provide immunisation and criminal checks (ACPO)

7) do driving license light rigid thing on arrival in OZ

8) start work, get paid!!!

Have I got this right or not? I'm thinking of leaving the UK in May 2010 to work my way down to arrive in Oz in Nov 2010. Have I left enough time do you think?

All replies gratefully received.

Trotters
Hi, thats pretty much the way it works, at least in theory anyway.
The best advice I can give is to spend time reading through this thread right from the start, it gives you a really good idea how everyone has progressed from initial application through to job offers and then actual employment.
It's a good idea to get immunisation details from occy health/GP early as possible, as they were asked for when I had interview, also ACPO was required when I sent off application forms other items to send initially are HPC cert, Paramedic & Tech IHCD certs, clinical scope of practice, copies of driving licence & birth cert etc, curriculam documents (there is a link to these on page 21 of this thread) and anything else that you may think will boost your chances, e.g thrombolysis certs or diploma/degree certs.
The whole process doea take time and things move quick then slow, then quick again. Also don't forget RPL form, presuming you have been sent one?
Good luck and shout if you need any advice

Last edited by I wan tee go oz; Oct 9th 2009 at 3:52 pm. Reason: tired and spelt loads wrong, too many night shifts!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Ok guys, a quick update.

Well, I've pretty much finished the whole process now and only have 3 weeks left before my official sign off date as ICP. The 10 weeks mentoring as a P1 was hard work for a number of reasons:

1) The large amount of calls and lack of beds at hospital (in fact, this is gonna be on the news tonight). This invariably leads to working past the end of your shift. The latest I finished after a day shift was 2300 - 4hrs! Late finishes as a GD crew is pretty much guaranteed.

2) You are usually placed with a P1 but can also be placed with a L2 which means you are, in effect, clinical mentor to them. As an ICP, you have a far greater understanding of underlying processes and want to treat as such, but you can't. This can be frustrating as lower clinical grades usually don't know what they don't know. Myself and a few other internationals have given feedback that we should be mentored at ICP level throughout.

The VIVA was pretty straight forward. 5 scenario based questions then interpret a few ECGs. The scenarios weren't designed to catch you out, just to see that you were safe to treat your patients. You are asked for what drugs dosages you would give and then you can check your reference card. If you forget or are unsure, just say so and then check your card...it's no biggie and what it's there for. The ECG's were straight forward - nothing complex to catch you out. They don't expect you to be fully conversant with the ASNSW protocols/ pharmacology....only that you are safe.

Once on the IC car, the call volume drops off substantially as you are usually only responded to the higher 1A and 1B catagories or as backup when requested. For example, yesterday day shift I dealt with 3 patients and only one went to hospital. The day before we only had 4 jobs with quick turn-arounds at hospital (ie, the patients were sick so bypassed triage and straight into resus). This meant we had a good few hours on station (after cruising around the city for a while and drinking coffee at the cafes ).

Night shifts are usually much quieter....you get to erm, rest, as the GD crews keep getting sent on calls. I sometimes feel a little guilty about this as I'm used to first in, first out.

I am really enjoying working on the IC car as generally, you are treating pretty sick patients so are using more of your skills and pharmacology. I haven't done a routine admission or a discharge home on the IC car as this is usually handled by the GD crews. There is more respect for the IC crews here, which is nice.

Another weird thing I have noticed is the lack of alcohol related incidents. Sure, there is some but it is nowhere near that of back home. I am used to 90% of a Fri/ Sat workload being alcohol fuelled. Here, I find it to be less than 10%.

Looking at our rostas, it looks like there'll be 2x ICP's working on a car together (there's 4 RPL ICP's at our station to help fill the gaps). This works well when you have to treat a really sick patient. Hopefully it'll stay that way as this is how it is supposed to be.

The blue "proby" epaulettes are both good and bad. Good in that you are expected to make a mistake, so when you do it isn't a problem. Bad in that you are treated like a proby by most staff that don't specifically know you. This can be embarrassing...both for them and you. Again, this issue has been raised and it "is being looked at" by the powers that be.

Well, wage wise I would say I am a little better off at the moment. My take home pay, per fortnight, is roughly $2,500 (+/- $100) but that includes my salary packaging. We get a payrise after being signed off as ICP which I am looking forward to....just in time for Christmas lol.

Now to the bad bit. A couple of RPL guys I know are working at another station and have had a really bad time with the other members of staff. On this particular station, there is a lot of resentment towards internationals "taking their jobs". This is the P1's who want to progress but can't because no courses were being run. One RPL guy was put with a P1 mentor who turned out to be the individual responsible for lodging a grievence about the RPL's. Needless to say, it didn't work out well. It's a shame as we are not taking "their jobs". These jobs have been advertised as ICP positions.... positions which they are not qualified to even apply for.

However, at my station, the staff have been fantastic in every way. Very supportive and keen to learn from me, as I am from them. I have been made to feel very welcome and I do feel at home here. Sure, there is the usual banter (regularly about them needing an interpreter to understand me) but you don't become an ambo if you can't take the banter. Besides, I give as good as I get and it makes for a fun shift .

As an idea of my costs....I am currently renting a large 3 bedroom apartment just on the doorstep of Parramatta. Beautiful views, 2 minute walk to the park etc. Close enough to be in the city with a 25 minute walk (or 5 mins by car). The apartment is a new build and is in a nice area. I am paying $470 per week in rent. Over here however, the water and coucil tax is included in my rental fee so it is not too bad. I have just had my first quarterly electricity bill and it was $160 - much cheaper than UK. I had a monthly gas bill and it amounted to $22. I pay roughly $180 -200 every fortnight for groceries and that is for 2 of us. Petrol is $1.21/ litre at the servo next to me. $70/m for Naked ADSL2+ and $80/m for my iPhone contract.

I certainly don't regret the move!

Last edited by theotherphil; Nov 9th 2009 at 12:32 am.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:47 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Ok guys, a quick update.

Well, I've pretty much finished the whole process now and only have 3 weeks left before my official sign off date as ICP. The 10 weeks mentoring as a P1 was hard work for a number of reasons:

1) The large amount of calls and lack of beds at hospital (in fact, this is gonna be on the news tonight). This invariably leads to working past the end of your shift. The latest I finished after a day shift was 2300 - 4hrs! Late finishes as a GD crew is pretty much guaranteed.

2) You are usually placed with a P1 but can also be placed with a L2 which means you are, in effect, clinical mentor to them. As an ICP, you have a far greater understanding of underlying processes and want to treat as such, but you can't. This can be frustrating as lower clinical grades usually don't know what they don't know. Myself and a few other internationals have given feedback that we should be mentored at ICP level throughout.

The VIVA was pretty straight forward. 5 scenario based questions then interpret a few ECGs. The scenarios weren't designed to catch you out, just to see that you were safe to treat your patients. You are asked for what drugs dosages you would give and then you can check your reference card. If you forget or are unsure, just say so and then check your card...it's no biggie and what it's there for. The ECG's were straight forward - nothing complex to catch you out. They don't expect you to be fully conversant with the ASNSW protocols/ pharmacology....only that you are safe.

Once on the IC car, the call volume drops off substantially as you are usually only responded to the higher 1A and 1B catagories or as backup when requested. For example, yesterday day shift I dealt with 3 patients and only one went to hospital. The day before we only had 4 jobs with quick turn-arounds at hospital (ie, the patients were sick so bypassed triage and straight into resus). This meant we had a good few hours on station (after cruising around the city for a while and drinking coffee at the cafes ).

Night shifts are usually much quieter....you get to erm, rest, as the GD crews keep getting sent on calls. I sometimes feel a little guilty about this as I'm used to first in, first out.

I am really enjoying working on the IC car as generally, you are treating pretty sick patients so are using more of your skills and pharmacology. I haven't done a routine admission or a discharge home on the IC car as this is usually handled by the GD crews. There is more respect for the IC crews here, which is nice.

Another weird thing I have noticed is the lack of alcohol related incidents. Sure, there is some but it is nowhere near that of back home. I am used to 90% of a Fri/ Sat workload being alcohol fuelled. Here, I find it to be less than 10%.

Looking at our rostas, it looks like there'll be 2x ICP's working on a car together (there's 4 RPL ICP's at our station to help fill the gaps). This works well when you have to treat a really sick patient. Hopefully it'll stay that way as this is how it is supposed to be.

The blue "proby" epaulettes are both good and bad. Good in that you are expected to make a mistake, so when you do it isn't a problem. Bad in that you are treated like a proby by most staff that don't specifically know you. This can be embarrassing...both for them and you. Again, this issue has been raised and it "is being looked at" by the powers that be.

Well, wage wise I would say I am a little better off at the moment. My take home pay, per fortnight, is roughly $2,500 (+/- $100) but that includes my salary packaging. We get a payrise after being signed off as ICP which I am looking forward to....just in time for Christmas lol.

Now to the bad bit. A couple of RPL guys I know are working at another station and have had a really bad time with the other members of staff. On this particular station, there is a lot of resentment towards internationals "taking their jobs". This is the P1's who want to progress but can't because no courses were being run. One RPL guy was put with a P1 mentor who turned out to be the individual responsible for lodging a grievence about the RPL's. Needless to say, it didn't work out well. It's a shame as we are not taking "their jobs". These jobs have been advertised as ICP positions.... positions which they are not qualified to even apply for.

However, at my station, the staff have been fantastic in every way. Very supportive and keen to learn from me, as I am from them. I have been made to feel very welcome and I do feel at home here. Sure, there is the usual banter (regularly about them needing an interpreter to understand me) but you don't become an ambo if you can't take the banter. Besides, I give as good as I get and it makes for a fun shift .

As an idea of my costs....I am currently renting a large 3 bedroom apartment just on the doorstep of Parramatta. Beautiful views, 2 minute walk to the park etc. Close enough to be in the city with a 25 minute walk (or 5 mins by car). The apartment is a new build and is in a nice area. I am paying $470 per week in rent. Over here however, the water and coucil tax is included in my rental fee so it is not too bad. I have just had my first quarterly electricity bill and it was $160 - much cheaper than UK. I had a monthly gas bill and it amounted to $22. I pay roughly $180 -200 every fortnight for groceries and that is for 2 of us. Petrol is $1.21/ litre at the servo next to me. $70/m for Naked ADSL2+ and $80/m for my iPhone contract.

I certainly don't regret the move!
Hi Phil, Great stuff! Sounds like your settling well. What station you at?

To balance what Phil says, my salary packaging has just finished for this year and without as many late finishes on the IC roster, your pay will average around $2200 before any OT.
In comparison, if you want to live nearer to the city and expect a 3 bedroom house, expect to pay $750 a week up. My quarterly Gas & Electric bill was $650 but that is with 2 kids and groceries for a family of four are $300 a week.

Similar to Phil, I'm glad I made the move!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Glad you are both enjoying things and thanks for all the info,
it's much appreciated

Had a letter from ASNSW today, confirming what was recently posted here about delays in International applicants sponsorship.
Hopefully things sorted by new year, unable to move until next spring anyway so it ain't too bad

C'mon exchange rate, perk up a bit!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:25 pm
cot jockey

bcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

After weeks of trying to get information on ASNSW, I found this great site and have spend many, many hours quietly reading this and other posts.

I'm a Canadian living in British Columbia and we've just been legislated back to work by the provincial government after a 7 month "strike". It's been in the last few months that a number of us in BC are fed up and are looking to AUZ to further our careers and enjoy a new lifestyle where I NEVER have to shovel snow again!

Although this site is geared for brits, I have found no other site so far that is this informative on ASNSW for anyone wanting to immigrate there for para work.

Thanks again! I hope to have my application in soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.