Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Originally Posted by swigski
With regards to the driving thing, the rules for TEMPORARY visitors have changed from April 2008. These people have to be in NSW for 6 months before they can apply for a NSW drivers licence and then it gets marked with a Q and is only valid for 12 months.

Here is the link to the info:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...swlicence.html

Check out page 10 where it has been discussed b4
Hi swigski, I am totally aware of the new rules etc. What I was trying to get at is that I don't think you'll need the PSV (Category D) on your licence. Category D is for carrying passengers for hire or reward. If you are not carrying passengers for hire or reward, you can carry any number of passengers on a C1 licence up to the 7.5t weight limit.

So for all those TEMP visa applicants thinking that they need to go out and get Category D PSV on their UK licence, probably don't and C1 will suffice.

I will confirm tomorrow.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

This is also quoted in the RTA website:

"If you are a visiting car licence holder you may drive vehicles of the kind covered by a NSW class C driver licence (up to 4.5 tonnes GVM and seating up to 12 adults, including the driver). "

The Light Rigid is the next class up i.e. More than 4.5 tonnes but no more than 8T.Carry more than 12 adults including driver. Towed trailer of no more than 9t.
Permanent visa holders need to get this within 2 months of commencing employment i.e. end of induction.

You would however be able to drive any class of vehicles on the Temp NSW licence with Q on but only after 6 months so this is where the problem is arising I think?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

Hi for the module requirements I downloaded altered (tidied up) these edexcel pages.

http://www.londonairambulanceservice...D_training.pdf

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/31802.pdf

As has already been mentioned the RPL process is very strict and even withthe straighforward HPC registered individuals each application is still considered individually. So the only way forward would be to contact and discuss.

Talking t o a regular city based ICP he gets around $1800 to $2200 in the hand this is just on the late meals and call offs he receives. i.e. no additional overtime shifts. The money is hugely dependant on where and when you work. but that gives you an idea of the earnings.

As for the work. Recently ended up on Bondi Beach in 40oC whizzing along the sand on the back of a Surf Rescue quad with all our gear for a patient. Got there and the 'Bondi Rescue' film crew were there catching everything (had to adopt my professional look).

As for never getting out of Sydney I know of people who work in the inner west/southern Sydney stations who travel in from the Central Coast so depends how much of a compromise you're prepared to make.

Sorry for interrupting the Licencing conversation.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Boweaver;7246342]Hi for the module requirements I downloaded altered (tidied up) these edexcel pages.

As has already been mentioned the RPL process is very strict and even withthe straighforward HPC registered individuals each application is still considered individually. So the only way forward would be to contact and discuss.

Many thanks for that, and thanks to all of you for your help!!

Just waiting for police clearance docs to come back. Had e-mail from ASNSW yesterday asking if i'd sent it to them yet. Will take that as a good sign!!
They've been very helpful on phone
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:25 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boweaver
Hi for the module requirements I downloaded altered (tidied up) these edexcel pages.

Talking t o a regular city based ICP he gets around $1800 to $2200 in the hand this is just on the late meals and call offs he receives. i.e. no additional overtime shifts. The money is hugely dependant on where and when you work. but that gives you an idea of the earnings.

As for the work. Recently ended up on Bondi Beach in 40oC whizzing along the sand on the back of a Surf Rescue quad with all our gear for a patient. Got there and the 'Bondi Rescue' film crew were there catching everything (had to adopt my professional look).

As for never getting out of Sydney I know of people who work in the inner west/southern Sydney stations who travel in from the Central Coast so depends how much of a compromise you're prepared to make.

Sorry for interrupting the Licencing conversation.
Thanks for getting the figures for earnings. Helps a lot when loking at the rental prices in Sydney!!

Might have to look to outer suburbs myself I think.

As for Bondi, Hope you didn't sweat too much while the rest of us were freezing our knackers off over here!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bullying caused woman's suicide, inquiry told
Natasha Wallace Health Reporter
July 9, 2008

CHRISTINE HODDER, 38, was a much-loved woman with a husband and a three-year-old daughter, and had almost completed her Bachelor of Nursing degree when she killed herself in her backyard.

Ms Hodder, after enduring years of bullying by male colleagues at Cowra ambulance station, where she was the first and only female officer, hanged herself on her child's swing in April, 2005, a parliamentary inquiry into the NSW Ambulance Service has heard.

She could not even leave her car at work because the tyres were let down, her toilet at work was urinated "all over" and she was constantly ridiculed by fellow officers in front of patients, her mother-in-law, Carolynn Hodder, has told the inquiry in a written submission. She believed her death was the culmination of

sustained victimisation by colleagues since she started at Cowra in 1999. She said the bullying went up the line to management and was ignored.

Christine Hodder had lodged two formal complaints, one in 2001 and another a few months before she died, about bullying and harassment by several officers and had twice been on stress leave.

In a five-page complaint dated February 20, 2005, which has been made public, Christine Hodder said she felt she had never been accepted there because she was a woman.

"In the past six years I have been badly treated as other staff members collectively bullied, belittled and intimidated me," she said.

"The staff in this station has constantly alienated and attacked my character and physical appearance since my arrival."

She felt "totally ridiculed" and officers had said she had a "hairy lip" and that her "hair looked like one of the Aboriginal ladies at the mission", she said.

Yesterday her husband Jason, who is struggling to cope with his wife's death while caring for their daughter, Brittany, now 6, said several managers told him that bullying was a problem but were not prepared to speak publicly or put it in writing for fear of litigation.

"Every high-ranking ambulance person I spoke to was quite happy off the record to say this is really, really bad … and told me that they don't see that much is going to happen [change]," Mr Hodder told the Herald. "This is why it nearly took me as well … I've only just survived."

Mrs Hodder said that on the day before her daughter-in-law died she had told her she felt the situation was hopeless and she had lost faith in management over dealing with her complaints.

"She felt that nobody cared and there was nowhere she could go. Nobody listened," Mrs Hodder told the Herald.

In her submission, Mrs Hodder described Christine, who immigrated from France when she was 15, as "a clever, shy, beautiful girl in both appearance and manner".

"Christine initially laughed off the harassment from her fellow officers, but it was relentless, and when it continued over the years, it became very hard to bear. She often said, 'What is wrong with me? Why do they hate me so much?' There were so many incidents perpetrated against Christine," she wrote.

"She took her own life by hanging herself from her daughter's swing in the family backyard. We didn't see it coming, and I cannot even begin to describe the utter horror, disbelief, grief, and unbelievable sadness we feel because she isn't in our lives any more.

"We miss her, and what utterly saddens me is she will never see her beloved daughter grow up. For the people who have caused this devastation, the whole chapter is finished. Unfortunately for us, the life of a much-loved wonderful girl is also finished. We will never see Christine again."

She urged the inquiry to ask "serious questions" of the NSW Ambulance Service.

"Why they have allowed these types of behaviours to continue to the point where people from that one station are transferring away, going on stress leave and in Christine's case becoming so demoralised and depressed that she committed suicide."

In July, 2005, the chief executive of the NSW Ambulance Service, Greg Rochford, wrote to Mr Hodder and said an investigation had been completed.

The letter, also made public, reveals the service began the investigation three days before Christine Hodder died and found a culture of male dominance, "acceptance of poor standards of cleanliness" and "white-anting".

It recommended staff receive training in workplaces free of harassment and bullying, that the service should explore how to change the behaviour of staff, and that no female officer be appointed to Cowra for six months.

No officer was disciplined.

Last week Christine Hodder's former colleague Phil Roxburgh gave evidence that she had been victimised, that management ignored her complaints and that he himself was bullied when he tried to support her.

http://www.blogcatalog.com/topic/nsw+ambulance/

Can someone speak to the hazing present at ASNSW? Is it out of control like the article suggests, or an isolated incident? If nobody wants to speak in a public forum about this subject, you can PM me.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

It's all a thing of the past. They've 'Respectful Workplace Training' now you know.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Not been on hear lately as i've been busy studying for my IPC viva next week! Hope you are all well and your applications are going ok. If anyone needs any advice, please get in touch.

I have stated this group on facebook:
"I had the balls to make the move!! Poms working ( or will be) for ASNSW."

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3664388&ref=mf

please fell free to join up - all the more the better for us to have a moan!!!!

chris
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:27 am
Banned

Hope all goes well Chris.

Just joined the group on facebook.

Great idea!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:46 am
Banned

GOT MY VISA APPROVAL TODAY!!

Can't believe it. Looks like I will definitely be on the March 16th course. Hoping to fly out on the 28th Feb!

Visa was lodged on the 20th Jan. They then asked for the meds on the same day which arrived on the 26th. They were finalized on the 6th and visa granted on the 9th!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:48 am
Just Joined

ellie10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations that is fantastic news, bet you can't wait. Where are mine!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right on! Congrats! Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

chillifarm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swigski
GOT MY VISA APPROVAL TODAY!!

Can't believe it. Looks like I will definitely be on the March 16th course. Hoping to fly out on the 28th Feb!

Visa was lodged on the 20th Jan. They then asked for the meds on the same day which arrived on the 26th. They were finalized on the 6th and visa granted on the 9th!!
Congratulations mate.
All the best
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

ellie10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: NSW Ambulance service

FIFTEEN MONTHS LATER THE VISA HAS FINALLY BEEN GRANTED!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:08 pm
Banned

Congrats!! Makes all your perserverance worth it!

See you on March 16th then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.