Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:38 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi all. I'm Phil, new here. I've been a Para just over 3 yrs with NWAS in Preston. Applied for ASNSW mid Oct '08. Haven't heard anything back yet. E-mailed last week just to check my application had been received, but still waiting on a reply. Have a few Q's, if anyone can answer, i'd be grateful!

How long did you have to wait after submitting application?

Application form asked for choice of temp/permanent residency, do you get permanent easily?

Does having extra qual's stand you in better position regarding shortlist for interview etc? e.g Decon training, USAR, HART, mentoring etc

Been over to QLD last year to meet up with an ex colleague. So it's a choice of QAS and ASNSW at the mo!!
Hi Phil, I would give them a ring and explain that you have been patiently waiting for a reply to your application. Who knows, they may not have even received it. I submitted my application electronically and by post and I heard back within a week.
I've got a permanent. With a Temp, recent changes to NSW driving laws mean you would have to get a PSV on your UK licence before moving to NSW as they will not grant a licence if on a Temp Visa. You need the equivalent, which is Light Rigid in NSW.Permanent also gives you the advantage of not paying for schoolfees if you have kids, access to medicare and benefits (after a qualifying period).
More qualifications you have would stand you in better stead of getting ICP with NSW through the RPL process.
Give them a ring. Really nice easy going people who are happy to help!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:46 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Hi BOWEAVER,

How is the induction/mentoring going?
How are you finding the job compared to the UK?
What is your average take home pay? (I take it you must be doing shifts by now??)
What was involved in the first 8 weeks induction?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope it's all going well for you.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

Hey all, quickly on the Temp v's Perm visa thing. My reasons for going for the Perm visa were that firstly they pay for it anyway, it's easier and cheaper to get a Perm Visa from outside Oz and if I went f or the Temp and liked it I'd only end up going for the Perm anyway but at my own expense at a later date.

It's going pretty well, so far I've completed the 8 weeks in the AEC (Ambo Education Centre) and I've been on the road now for 3 weeks going into my 4th. I've met up with a few ex Paramedics from England and a couple from Ireland also at various stages of the RPL process. Currently I'm in the SAC for this part of my RPL

The job itself is exactly the same as the UK, same patients, same staff, hospitals and their lot are all the same too. Some of the LAS guys have commented that it's not as busy. As you know you can only do one call at a time. I'd say for me the biggest change is that Culture here, where at home we have simply differing clinical levels here those clinical levels seem to carry rank as well (maybe my perception). Level is by the colour of your epaulette sleeves and you are treated as such, newbies being referred to as probies, so you do get the odd one or two Level 2s and P1s (the almost qualified and qualified Paramedics) who've a few years to catch up on you treating you as though you're still wet behind the ears, personally I find it amusing. The only main challenges are like when you all started yourself, there's new equipment, new vehicles, procedures etc to all get your head around asap while still having the challenges and stresses of moving yourself or yourself and your family half way around the world. A challenge that perhaps isn't quite recognised by those Educators in the AEC. Finally the other challenge I found is moving from the freedom of Clinical decision making that 'Guidelines' (JRCALC) give you to having to follow 'Protocols' though obviously circumstances and real life dictate this

What is your average take home pay? (I take it you must be doing shifts by now??)

At the minute I'm on a Trainee Paramedic wage, I haven't compared this to either my letter of offer or other RPL guys cause I'm basically lazy and haven't gotten around to it. During my time in the AEC my net was $1428 and my first two weeks on the road got me $2228 with the only over time being the meal penalties you gain not getting lunch or being called off.

It's an interesting experience that's for sure. Basically you're in with a brand spanking new class of ambos who are doing their basic tech course. Depending where they live some get accommodation at the AEC which is something akin to Prisoner Cell Block H only worse as you have the smello vision. For the first few weeks you get to go along to all the exciting stuff like Organisational Awareness, Occupational Health & Safety, and Manual Handling, there are a few classes they like you to attend like CPR etc thought that gets confusing as Level 5s or ICPs (same thing) have a completely different protocol and use Lifepacks instead of Zolls on automatic. You also get to wear an embarrassing blue jump suit or smurf suit as they're called here, completely inappropriate for the weather and literally shrink and continue to do so for the duration of the course. THis provides much hilarity among the classmates and anyone else who comes into the school as the operational staff get to wear the proper blue Uniform. As the 8 weeks progress you spend less and less time with the rest of the new class and do what is called SDL or self directed learning, basically go away and read something. Should there be other classes on at the same time e.g. Qualified Paramedic (P1) or Level 5 (ICP) they'll try and get you in on some of theirs but its basically what they can arrange and the corporate stuff always takes precedence over the stupid stuff like oh let me see, INTUBATION and eh PEAD CPR! There's no assessment other than the use of the MRD (mechanical restraint device) and all in all it's pretty cruisey as they say.

Hope gives you an idea as to what to expect. It's another bloody hot sunny day here in Sydney, I can see the Harbour from my place, hear the Boats and ferries in the distance and going to have to get the day started at some point. I occassionally think about home but I only have to stick on the news or the bbc web site an that brings me back to reality, Christmas wasn't a problem as they don't even do it right here though how can you in 30oC+ temps...lol.

Back to dayshift tomorrow which means VDI'ing truck, shoot the breeze with the Ambos, head into town grab the first Coffee of the day and maybe get to hang out below the Bridge for a while, watching the city come to life.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:45 am
Banned

Thanks for all that info. Induction sure sounds interesting!

Where abouts are you living? Did you find getting a place easy when you arrived? Are you part of a two man crew or third manning?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

I'm living in the Balmain Rozelle area. I was all set for going to the beaches but because I'm lazy and didn't organise things very well I ended up having a look around the AEC while I was staying there. Balmain is a great spot with a few ambos living around here. It's very self contained and you wouldn't have to leave for anything if you didn't need to. It takes me about 15mins getting to work in the morning (driving) and about 150m or so from me I can grab a ferry into Circular Quay.
As far as ease of finding a place is concerned I am maybe in a different boat than most as I came over on my own and wanted to flat share from the beginning. As far as I'm aware the process of actually renting a place outright takes a bit of time as it's done through estate agents :curse: so there are specific viewing days and you are basically vetted, if you're thinking about comming try and get some references bank manager for example. There are other threads on here about renting on Sydney so I'd check them out.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

oh yeah and you do a week of 3rd person or manning etc during your 8 week induction course (in the ridiculous blue suit) at the moment I'm on an Ambulance with a crew mate. P1 level.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Thanks for all that info! Do you think that your level of autonomy increases to a similar standard as UK once you get to work at ICP level or are they still stuck to rigid protocols? Not that it bothers me too much but I do like to tell the timewasters to make their own way to hospital if they feel they need to, if ya know what I mean
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

chillifarm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi all. I'm Phil, new here. I've been a Para just over 3 yrs with NWAS in Preston. Applied for ASNSW mid Oct '08. Haven't heard anything back yet. E-mailed last week just to check my application had been received, but still waiting on a reply. Have a few Q's, if anyone can answer, i'd be grateful!

How long did you have to wait after submitting application?

Application form asked for choice of temp/permanent residency, do you get permanent easily?

Does having extra qual's stand you in better position regarding shortlist for interview etc? e.g Decon training, USAR, HART, mentoring etc

Been over to QLD last year to meet up with an ex colleague. So it's a choice of QAS and ASNSW at the mo!!
Hi Phil

I'm currently a paramedic of 18yrs experience working in the south west (originally from Lancs though).

Applied to ASNSW mid-November 08.

I rang them at the end of Nov and they acknowledged receipt of my application verbally and subsequently by email.

I then rang them again last week for an update and was told that the RPL panel is not sitting to assess applications until the end of January.

Have emailed them three times so far. One replied to, two not.

Swigski is right with his advice. Just ring them direct. It's easier. (although I don't recommend using your mobile as I did on nights last week. Cost me a tenner for 7 mins!!).

Hope this helps and good luck mate.

Chris (chillifarm)
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Swigski, theotherphil, chillifarm and guys for your replies.
Will give ASNSW a ring Thurs eve (UK time), and see whats happening. Sent application by snail mail and training dept at NWAS were insistent on sending scope of practice by e-mail. I'm waging good money that one or the other or both hasn't arrived there!! :curse:

Will let ya all know.

Cheers
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boweaver, what kind of shift are you on? Days or nights? 8, 12, or 24 hr?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

hi boweaver, you dont live that far from me. fancy a beer at the london or somewhere?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

robbost is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boweaver
Hey all, quickly on the Temp v's Perm visa thing. My reasons for going for the Perm visa were that firstly they pay for it anyway, it's easier and cheaper to get a Perm Visa from outside Oz and if I went f or the Temp and liked it I'd only end up going for the Perm anyway but at my own expense at a later date.

It's going pretty well, so far I've completed the 8 weeks in the AEC (Ambo Education Centre) and I've been on the road now for 3 weeks going into my 4th. I've met up with a few ex Paramedics from England and a couple from Ireland also at various stages of the RPL process. Currently I'm in the SAC for this part of my RPL

The job itself is exactly the same as the UK, same patients, same staff, hospitals and their lot are all the same too. Some of the LAS guys have commented that it's not as busy. As you know you can only do one call at a time. I'd say for me the biggest change is that Culture here, where at home we have simply differing clinical levels here those clinical levels seem to carry rank as well (maybe my perception). Level is by the colour of your epaulette sleeves and you are treated as such, newbies being referred to as probies, so you do get the odd one or two Level 2s and P1s (the almost qualified and qualified Paramedics) who've a few years to catch up on you treating you as though you're still wet behind the ears, personally I find it amusing. The only main challenges are like when you all started yourself, there's new equipment, new vehicles, procedures etc to all get your head around asap while still having the challenges and stresses of moving yourself or yourself and your family half way around the world. A challenge that perhaps isn't quite recognised by those Educators in the AEC. Finally the other challenge I found is moving from the freedom of Clinical decision making that 'Guidelines' (JRCALC) give you to having to follow 'Protocols' though obviously circumstances and real life dictate this

At the minute I'm on a Trainee Paramedic wage, I haven't compared this to either my letter of offer or other RPL guys cause I'm basically lazy and haven't gotten around to it. During my time in the AEC my net was $1428 and my first two weeks on the road got me $2228 with the only over time being the meal penalties you gain not getting lunch or being called off.

It's an interesting experience that's for sure. Basically you're in with a brand spanking new class of ambos who are doing their basic tech course. Depending where they live some get accommodation at the AEC which is something akin to Prisoner Cell Block H only worse as you have the smello vision. For the first few weeks you get to go along to all the exciting stuff like Organisational Awareness, Occupational Health & Safety, and Manual Handling, there are a few classes they like you to attend like CPR etc thought that gets confusing as Level 5s or ICPs (same thing) have a completely different protocol and use Lifepacks instead of Zolls on automatic. You also get to wear an embarrassing blue jump suit or smurf suit as they're called here, completely inappropriate for the weather and literally shrink and continue to do so for the duration of the course. THis provides much hilarity among the classmates and anyone else who comes into the school as the operational staff get to wear the proper blue Uniform. As the 8 weeks progress you spend less and less time with the rest of the new class and do what is called SDL or self directed learning, basically go away and read something. Should there be other classes on at the same time e.g. Qualified Paramedic (P1) or Level 5 (ICP) they'll try and get you in on some of theirs but its basically what they can arrange and the corporate stuff always takes precedence over the stupid stuff like oh let me see, INTUBATION and eh PEAD CPR! There's no assessment other than the use of the MRD (mechanical restraint device) and all in all it's pretty cruisey as they say.

Hope gives you an idea as to what to expect. It's another bloody hot sunny day here in Sydney, I can see the Harbour from my place, hear the Boats and ferries in the distance and going to have to get the day started at some point. I occassionally think about home but I only have to stick on the news or the bbc web site an that brings me back to reality, Christmas wasn't a problem as they don't even do it right here though how can you in 30oC+ temps...lol.

Back to dayshift tomorrow which means VDI'ing truck, shoot the breeze with the Ambos, head into town grab the first Coffee of the day and maybe get to hang out below the Bridge for a while, watching the city come to life.

Hi there, the info you1ve given is a great help as i am due to start on 6thjuly........we`ll be going out on the 6th june and based on the northern beaches. Can i ask about your pay award?
You say that in AEC you`re bring home pay is $1428 is that per week , and am i persuming that fortnightly is is $2228 with tax deducted etc , have you any idea what ICP fortnightly bring home pay is when you get there i`d appreciate your comments , cheers boweaver..
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

I currently work 4 on 4 off, two days then two nights. Days are 0700 - 1700 and nights are 1700 - 0700 (14hrs but you only get paid for 13!)

Disregard my comments about pay as I've realised they've been getting it wrong from day one and am off to sort it. If you are interested what your basic is check the pay award link on the ASNSW site and see what your letter of offer compares to.

And always up for a pint.

(It's 08.45 and 21oC looks like its gonna be another bloody good day in Sydney)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

robbost is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: NSW Ambulance service

Originally Posted by Boweaver
I currently work 4 on 4 off, two days then two nights. Days are 0700 - 1700 and nights are 1700 - 0700 (14hrs but you only get paid for 13!)

Disregard my comments about pay as I've realised they've been getting it wrong from day one and am off to sort it. If you are interested what your basic is check the pay award link on the ASNSW site and see what your letter of offer compares to.

And always up for a pint.

(It's 08.45 and 21oC looks like its gonna be another bloody good day in Sydney)
Cheers for that, i`ve already been on the link . My basic initially is basic of $55000, then onto $64000 as ICP ,thats written on my letter of offer , i`d appreciate it if you could back to me with the salary figs.
I also thought that asnsw were doing away with 14 hour shifts , doesnt bother me but as i said i`d be thankful if you can send some info.
Last , thing , how did you go aroung your nhs pension transfer to QROPS , ie cost , length of time it took?Thanks again boweaver, drinks all round!!
PS THE SUNS OUT HERE TOO.....2`C THOUGH
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

There's a lot of things in the middle of change here, a bit like the Agenda For Change with each side arguing for different conditions. It's far from settled as far as I know. They're also looking at a 4 on 5 off rota but there's enough to worry about without getting caught up in the politics at this stage.

I won't be able to get any figures on ICP's annual take home just yeat but will have an ask about when I get back.

With regards to the pension, I only had 6 years done with the NHS and just let my Pension sit. Nothing to organise just stopped paying it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.