Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Life Downunder Revisted - Channel 4 8pm Yesterday

New Life Downunder Revisted - Channel 4 8pm Yesterday

Old Jan 8th 2005, 7:33 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life Downunder Revisted - Channel 4 8pm Yesterday

Originally Posted by Darren S
You only need to use the space provided on the TRA and not seperate sheets. You hae to give detail but not too much for every task otherwise it won't fit on the form. That's the way I filled in the TRA and was accepted- Only in rotherham so not far from you!
Darren
Darren - we did as you did & had our TRA rejected the first time saying that we had not included enough info. I think at the end of the day it depends what jobs you are getting assessed - in both mine & Prof princess's cases we are going for Chef which is a tricky one to prove........ we have taken prof advice on this one!! LOL
Old Jan 8th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I agree - that Esme.... she was so rude!
yep, she was a horrible child
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spalen
I introduced 'mullet man' to the thread.... so I ought to explain.

There was a melissa porter + that bald bloke with fake tan programme - get a new life, 1 hour on a family that were emigrating to Brisbane. Its a good show ..

The hubby was a funny bloke, electrician, and had cultivated a mullett haircut out of respect for Jo Mangle from Neighbours. He even rented a 'ute' when he got to brissie airport "because jo had one".

They had two kids, v.small about 3/4 , the wife was a fitness instructor. They did the programme, showed a bit of brisbane including some of South Bank, showed him getting work / electrician creditation etc. It was quite fun. They enjoyed it , and stayed at the end.

I think this was the last series or series -1 . This thing that was on last night was 1.5yrs old. and a whole host of families, there were at least 2 more, a welsh family who post on here sometimes and another I think whjo I remember bought thier own house and were having a pool laid with two older sons, dad was an air-con engineer and so was son #'1. There were hours of these weekly proggies - they're on SKY weekly , they used ot be on daily etc... They were on tongight somewhere earound channel 127 at about 6 pm and repeated at 7pm so watch out for them - tehy show a good slice of what life is like for these families. Obviously its edited to show the problems but hey-ho.

I think the reason that the great lady from Blackpool got to stay was she was married to the Aussie husband and domestic violence was involved - so (quite rightly) the Aussie Govt decide NOT to kick her out of the country just because her relationship breaks up for violence. That was the specific reason - Im only quoting what was on the programme so hope this doesnt cause anybody offence.

Whilst we're on the subject - Im not sure its appropriate to comment about Esme who is a child , If anyone commented about our children we'd go loopy so perhaps we (as adults) could drop the discussions in that respect. Chidlren cant' defend themselves so shouldnt be the subject of an open forum.
hi , im also dying to know how mullet man & family are doing , im surprised they havnt shown their update yet as i know they were flying out to do it in oct 2003 as we were then about to take part in the second series and one crew were fling out just b4 us to do it .
and i promise i will post our report on the reeve family update a yr after "get a new life " as so many have asked , but once i get started i find it hard to stop .
must just add my own comments on "mandy skeggs" ive read alot of peoples comments and did manage to catch part of the many many repeats featuring her , my god what was she like , -- but dont know if any of u in oz caught a follow up on her some months ago they had her on a show like current afairs or 60 mins giving her side , yes she did whinge a lot and slag the aussies down!!! but as we all know ther is a lot of good editing , they even took her out to bye new undies ,
i felt on our show all they really did was to show me crying & being home sick didnt really show me having loads of fun with kev & my boys and mostly kev fishing & playing golf !!! oh well that was pretty true , we still laugh about it .
anyway bye for now good luck to all still on their way ,
xx debs & co xxxx
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:20 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by debreeve
hi , im also dying to know how mullet man & family are doing , im surprised they havnt shown their update yet as i know they were flying out to do it in oct 2003 as we were then about to take part in the second series and one crew were fling out just b4 us to do it .
and i promise i will post our report on the reeve family update a yr after "get a new life " as so many have asked , but once i get started i find it hard to stop .
must just add my own comments on "mandy skeggs" ive read alot of peoples comments and did manage to catch part of the many many repeats featuring her , my god what was she like , -- but dont know if any of u in oz caught a follow up on her some months ago they had her on a show like current afairs or 60 mins giving her side , yes she did whinge a lot and slag the aussies down!!! but as we all know ther is a lot of good editing , they even took her out to bye new undies ,
i felt on our show all they really did was to show me crying & being home sick didnt really show me having loads of fun with kev & my boys and mostly kev fishing & playing golf !!! oh well that was pretty true , we still laugh about it .
anyway bye for now good luck to all still on their way ,
xx debs & co xxxx

I get the feeling that they would rather show the bad parts of a family's emmigration.

As you said, they didnt show you having fun.

But a moaner is a moaner no matter how its portrayed.

Marks and Spencers knickers Their underwear has gone way down in my opinion.

When i was in QLD, trying to find a decent bra was hard though, telling the woman in the shop i was a 36D, she replied, quite shocked, 'We dont have anything THAT big'.

Whilst I wish I would have a bust like a surft board, its isnt going to happen.

Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:59 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I get the feeling that they would rather show the bad parts of a family's emmigration.
I suppose there is less entertainment value in a family that settle in quickly and for whom everything goes smoothly. Don't they realise there are thousands of us saddo's actually watching this for educational purposes
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:12 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by worzel
I suppose there is less entertainment value in a family that settle in quickly and for whom everything goes smoothly. Don't they realise there are thousands of us saddo's actually watching this for educational purposes

I know. I could watch these programmes all night and then cry because Im not there.

I wish we could see their struggle just to get there though.

Diary of a would-be migrant or something.

Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
TV is for more for entertainment than education. The family which settles in quickly doesn't have entertainment value. Here's a 4 times married lady with a violent partner (great entertainment); here's a vicar's daughter with children from previous relationships and a partner who want to emigrate to patch things up (great entertainment); here's the archetypal 'pommie whinger' (great entertainment). Success story, 'normal' people (boring entertainment). This is how TV producers and sponsors think.

I'm surprised they didn't put the 3 families in a house or the jungle and get the viewers to vote them out!

OzTennis
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:48 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know. I could watch these programmes all night and then cry because Im not there.

I wish we could see their struggle just to get there though.

Diary of a would-be migrant or something.
At the last Sandown Park show there was a corner with a tv in it that was showing interviews with a few would-be emigrants. I didn't stay (as there were no seats) but there may have been an "after" to go with the "before".

I know what you mean though if someone did a video diary from the moment they decided to go, through telling family and friends, the ups and downs of the visa process and the first 12 months settling in they would probably sell thousands of copies on here / at the shows etc.

Now who do I know that is quite artistic like that? Hmmmm? You are aren't you Sam? You could intersperse it with clips of your pets and the weirdos on the bus to lighten the mood occassionally...
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

I quite enjoyed the show and laughed at "Mrs Moany". I felt sorry for her poor husband! I really liked the look of the Gold Coast and have thought about Perth. Decisions!! Why does it always seem that the hour or half hour they are on for goes so fast!
Old May 28th 2005, 8:13 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The program was about 3 families (or groups of people) - Singleton's from Blackpool, Russell's from Bath and Skeggs' from Hertfordshire.

Singleton was the 4 times married lady with 2 children who went on a spouse visa with an Aussie born (but sounded English) husband but she split up and eventually got permanent residency (because their relationship split up due to his violence); Russell was the vicar's daughter with 2 children from previous relationships who went on a business visa in the name of her partner who eventually returned to Bath so she was applying for her own business visa (had to achieve $200K turnover and employ two locals within 2 months); Skeggs is as said above is best remembered for her 'white hearses', 'traffic lights', 'you know what those Orstralians are like they would shoot my cats', 'those birds sound p****d off too' , 'they don't do knickers like M&S' etc comments.

Even though Mandy was still whinging she said she was settled in Perth and enjoying life there as were all the others (with the possible exception of the boy from Blackpool).

I seem to remember at least 2, possibly all 3, of them posting on here in the past - 'I'm not really like how I come across in the programs etc'.
Does anyone know if they still post on here? and what were they called?
Old May 28th 2005, 9:54 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Does anyone know if they still post on here? and what were they called?
...BUMP...
Hmmm, I was wondering too... just curious...

RT