Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wakerley, chandler, birkdale

wakerley, chandler, birkdale

Old May 25th 2005, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Default wakerley, chandler, birkdale

hi everyone!!!!

anyone give me some info on these areas??
we have a daughter who will be starting year 3 (age 7) so a GOOD primary school is needed
i like look of theese places what are they really like???

BEV
Old May 25th 2005, 10:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wakerley, chandler, birkdale

Hi Bev,

Birkdale is the only one of those 3 suburbs with a primary school in the actual suburb. Birkdale has 2 schools, Birkdale State & Birkdale South State. Mixed reports on how good they are. There is also a catholic school (Mary McKillop from memory) & Redlands College is close by. There is definitely a "good" area of Birkdale & a "bad" one, so be warned. The suburb is quite well established, with a mix of older & new houses, shoping, transport etc. Train into the CBD takes around 40-45 mins.

Chandler is almost exclusively acreage properties. Depending on where in the suburb (it stretches a long way & is cut in 2 by Old Cleveland Rd), depends on what school you would use. There is a good state school at Belmont & one at Gumdale (which used to be a sleep "country" school, but has now swelled & experienced massive growth due to the new estates in the area). Also depending on where you live in the suburb, be aware that Brisbane City Council has a dump at Chandler, so you may be close to that (its on the southern side of Old Cleveland Rd, if you look at a map & will be marked "transfer station"). There are no shops etc in the area, closest shopping is at Carindale/Belmont & no transport links to the city.

Wakerley is a mix of new estates & acreage properties. Schoolwise its serviced by Gumdale State, Manly West State & probably to a lesser degree Wondall Rd State schools depending on where you live in the suburb. There is also Moreton Bay College (girls) & Moreton Bay Boys College (boys obviously! ) if you are after a private school. There is a new shopping centre with supermarket (Woolworths), bakery, deli, fruitshop etc right on Manly Rd & an efficient BCC bus service runs down Manly Rd to the CBD.

Have a look at the Brisbane bayside forum if you want to ask more question, particularly about Birkdale. Brisbane Bayside Brits

If you have anything specific to ask, please feel free to pm me as I live in the area & have kids at one of the schools mentioned.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; May 25th 2005 at 10:26 pm. Reason: changed tip to dump!
Old May 28th 2005, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi Bev,

Birkdale is the only one of those 3 suburbs with a primary school in the actual suburb. Birkdale has 2 schools, Birkdale State & Birkdale South State. Mixed reports on how good they are. There is also a catholic school (Mary McKillop from memory) & Redlands College is close by. There is definitely a "good" area of Birkdale & a "bad" one, so be warned. The suburb is quite well established, with a mix of older & new houses, shoping, transport etc. Train into the CBD takes around 40-45 mins.

Chandler is almost exclusively acreage properties. Depending on where in the suburb (it stretches a long way & is cut in 2 by Old Cleveland Rd), depends on what school you would use. There is a good state school at Belmont & one at Gumdale (which used to be a sleep "country" school, but has now swelled & experienced massive growth due to the new estates in the area). Also depending on where you live in the suburb, be aware that Brisbane City Council has a dump at Chandler, so you may be close to that (its on the southern side of Old Cleveland Rd, if you look at a map & will be marked "transfer station"). There are no shops etc in the area, closest shopping is at Carindale/Belmont & no transport links to the city.

Wakerley is a mix of new estates & acreage properties. Schoolwise its serviced by Gumdale State, Manly West State & probably to a lesser degree Wondall Rd State schools depending on where you live in the suburb. There is also Moreton Bay College (girls) & Moreton Bay Boys College (boys obviously! ) if you are after a private school. There is a new shopping centre with supermarket (Woolworths), bakery, deli, fruitshop etc right on Manly Rd & an efficient BCC bus service runs down Manly Rd to the CBD.

Have a look at the Brisbane bayside forum if you want to ask more question, particularly about Birkdale. Brisbane Bayside Brits

If you have anything specific to ask, please feel free to pm me as I live in the area & have kids at one of the schools mentioned.

thanks for info
i will check out bayside brits site
someone recommended albany creek?? i think it is other side of river?
Bev..
Old May 28th 2005, 9:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebopaloola
thanks for info
i will check out bayside brits site
someone recommended albany creek?? i think it is other side of river?
Bev..
Yes, its in the northern suburbs, cant help you with info though as I dont know much about it .
Old May 28th 2005, 10:03 pm
Xoe
Bayside Resident

Xoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

There's also Saint Anthonys Catholic school near Birkdale (Alex Hills) which is a good school aswell.

Just wondering, I live in Birkdale, where is the "bad" area?? I've been here 7 months and have only seen good spots, so I'm interested to know where these are supposed to be?

cheers