Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia

Moving to Australia

Old May 30th 2016, 8:48 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia

Jeez, is it any wonder newbies don't stick around any more? I'm not at all surprised.
Old May 30th 2016, 10:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rebeccarathmill
Again OPTIONS! really I thought these forums was meant to be helpful, I've asked a couple of questions about 2 countries I'm interested in and got snotty nose people with attitude comments. Ridiculous 😴
Firstly, welcome. Secondly it's an internet forum and therefore there are a million possible answers. Quoll gave you a link to enable you to work out if you can get a visa. Other people have commented randomly because frankly apart from you finding a visa that works for you, there's little anyone can add until you have done a little homework on both Canada and Australia and have more detailed questions to ask.

It's a long hard journey migrating, if you get offended by a few harmless strangers making comments you don't appreciate, you will lose a massive amount of help and support and information we as 'been there, done that' migrants can offer.

We're just people on the internet, do what you do in real life, ignore what you consider unhelpful and appreciate the help. Word to the wise though, some of what you may consider unhelpful could possibly end up being the most helpful piece of advice you get.

As for other people coming along and doing the whole 'everyone's so nasty no wonder newbies don't hang around' imo you are as much a problem as those who make unhelpful comments.
Old May 30th 2016, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Bean85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
You must have been prolific with your posting - grand total of three posts!
Not just my posts actually, other people. It's disgusting and you've just proved my point!
What a lovely person you seem to be.
Old May 30th 2016, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Jeez, is it any wonder newbies don't stick around any more? I'm not at all surprised.
awful isn't it, not helpful at all. Theirs just no need
Old May 30th 2016, 11:52 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
You must have been prolific with your posting - grand total of three posts!

To the ones who think we are rude.
Few times a week, every week, every year, people come and post how bad things are in UK, they want to move away from multiculturalism and into sunshine with high wages and cheap housing..
Time and time again we point out that visas, if they qualify for them, will drain them out of $10k after all is done.
Australia is no longer cheap and jobs ARE hard to come by unless you have niche in certain highly qualified area.

So not probably being narky towards OP, more so people having to repeat the same comments atleast three times a week all year around.
These are...

Do you qualify for visa? If you don't, all else is moot!
Do you understand that Oz is full of foreigners therefore multicultural life is inevitable. As such if you want to leave that behind it'll be infront of you again.

Do you have money to survive upto a year without a job? Jobs are scarce in certain areas and with certain occupations, just because they are on skilled list (teachers, accountants etc), they actually shouldn't be on the list. I currently know 7 aussie trained teachers working as cleaners and waitresses)

Weather? You want to move for the weather? I don't leave the house much for about 2mths straight due to heat and pay through the nose to have an aircon.
So does everyone else and therefore the power cuts.
Or two months in winter where it rains sideways and upwards and like the last 2 weekends, power was out total of 57hrs due to storms and my bedroom was +5 degrees thanks to the quality of the building. Yep, fantastic weather, don't get me even started on bushfires and flooding!

So yes, we may come across as narky but when someone wants to run away (and like I said these postings are more frequent than ever), this is what you'll be coming to. It's not all sunshine, jobs are hard to come by and no, being part of commonwealth doesn't make you eligible for a visa.

That doesn't make it rude, it's a polite way to say, click on the BE search button and someone has already asked the same question 3 days ago, a week ago and atleast 40 times in the last 6mths.

I know all the newbies will find this rude as they have a dream.
I have nothing against dreams but this is the reality shot I hope you take aboard.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teza

To the ones who think we are rude.
Few times a week, every week, every year, people come and post how bad things are in UK, they want to move away from multiculturalism and into sunshine with high wages and cheap housing..
Time and time again we point out that visas, if they qualify for them, will drain them out of $10k after all is done.
Australia is no longer cheap and jobs ARE hard to come by unless you have niche in certain highly qualified area.

So not probably being narky towards OP, more so people having to repeat the same comments atleast three times a week all year around.
These are...

Do you qualify for visa? If you don't, all else is moot!
Do you understand that Oz is full of foreigners therefore multicultural life is inevitable. As such if you want to leave that behind it'll be infront of you again.

Do you have money to survive upto a year without a job? Jobs are scarce in certain areas and with certain occupations, just because they are on skilled list (teachers, accountants etc), they actually shouldn't be on the list. I currently know 7 aussie trained teachers working as cleaners and waitresses)

Weather? You want to move for the weather? I don't leave the house much for about 2mths straight due to heat and pay through the nose to have an aircon.
So does everyone else and therefore the power cuts.
Or two months in winter where it rains sideways and upwards and like the last 2 weekends, power was out total of 57hrs due to storms and my bedroom was +5 degrees thanks to the quality of the building. Yep, fantastic weather, don't get me even started on bushfires and flooding!

So yes, we may come across as narky but when someone wants to run away (and like I said these postings are more frequent than ever), this is what you'll be coming to. It's not all sunshine, jobs are hard to come by and no, being part of commonwealth doesn't make you eligible for a visa.

That doesn't make it rude, it's a polite way to say, click on the BE search button and someone has already asked the same question 3 days ago, a week ago and atleast 40 times in the last 6mths.

I know all the newbies will find this rude as they have a dream.
I have nothing against dreams but this is the reality shot I hope you take aboard.
Are you paid to reply to people on here? For your service of taking time out to reply?? If not then I cannot understand how you can complain about people repeating questions etc. You are not made to reply to people of you think their question is ' stupid' or they should do more research then don't reply!! Their is no need at all to be impatient with people, it's your choice to come on here and see these comments. Everyone has to start somewhere you were probably in that position one time over & not such an ' expert'

I hadn't looked on here for a few weeks & ive today remind myself just why!

Last edited by Bean85; May 30th 2016 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bean85
Are you paid to reply to people on here? For your device of taking time out to reply?? If not then I cannot understand how you can complain about people repeating questions etc. You are not made to reply to people of you think their question is ' stupid' or they should do more research then don't reply!! Their is no need at all to be impatient with people, it's your choice to come on here and see these comments. Everyone has to start somewhere you were probably in that position one time over & not such an ' expert'

Which is Teza's point. Nothing she's written is rude, it's facts, it's honest. BE is an awesome site with fantastic information, support etc etc. Everyone has been there and wants to hand back the help they've had. Some facts are not pretty and to just give the positives is the most unhelpful thing anyone can do.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:35 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bean85
Are you paid to reply to people on here? For your service of taking time out to reply?? If not then I cannot understand how you can complain about people repeating questions etc. You are not made to reply to people of you think their question is ' stupid' or they should do more research then don't reply!! Their is no need at all to be impatient with people, it's your choice to come on here and see these comments. Everyone has to start somewhere you were probably in that position one time over & not such an ' expert'

If you look at my history, I've been in Australia for 18 years and I know the immigration process.
That's the whole point, no one gets paid, we all volunteer our time and a little search goes a long way.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
.... Some facts are not pretty and to just give the positives is the most unhelpful thing anyone can do.
Unfortunately some people confuse unvarnished facts with rudeness. The truth is often ugly, especially when compared to the nonsense about living in other countries portrayed both in fictional and "reality" TV shows.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 30th 2016 at 12:56 pm.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

If you look at my history, I've been in Australia for 18 years and I know the immigration process.
That's the whole point, no one gets paid, we all volunteer our time and a little search goes a long way.
I didn't look at your history because I don't particularly care enough. And if your only putting your time into maybe you've got a little too much time on your hands! A little advice is all people are looking for here. Not to have it pushed down their throat & to be made to feel bad for not knowing enough about the country. I'm sure all those 18 year ago you were just as naive & clueless however, you won't remember that as your now so well educated...
Old May 30th 2016, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this where all the narcissists hang out then? Lol
Old May 30th 2016, 1:12 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Wow, you need a Helluva thicker skin than that if you're planning a life in Oz. You just proved my point, newbies don't want to hear the facts.
Good luck with your move.

Even as recently as 5 yrs ago I would've shouted from rooftops, make the move, best thing ever.
And then came the mining boom and unbelievable cost of living, cost of housing and unemployment,
Naive, of course I was naive 18yrs ago, that was before the Internet!!
However, since then they invented Google and even the search function on BE?
Old May 30th 2016, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... However, since then they invented Google and even the search function on BE?
And "reality" TV.
Old May 30th 2016, 1:26 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And "reality" TV.
haha too true, how many tv shows makes it so easy to hop into a plane and move to Oz or USA?
Old May 30th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Wow, you need a Helluva thicker skin than that if you're planning a life in Oz. You just proved my point, newbies don't want to hear the facts.
Good luck with your move.

Even as recently as 5 yrs ago I would've shouted from rooftops, make the move, best thing ever.
And then came the mining boom and unbelievable cost of living, cost of housing and unemployment,
Naive, of course I was naive 18yrs ago, that was before the Internet!!
However, since then they invented Google and even the search function on BE?
The term ' newbies' is possibly the most patronising word I've seen used. My plan to move to Australia will be over 5-6 year time frame giving me time to research and I have a lot of family and friends who live their & so I dont need your sarcastic good luck. I stopped looking for advice on here about how to move after about a week of joining because of people like you. And so glad I did it gave me a much more positive approach & I didn't feel like I had to know everything their is about Australia in a week of being on a forum! Ridiculous, I'm so happy for you all that you are confident you know everything about Australia that's great maybe some people are taking that journey a little slower and taking everything as it comes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.