Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

I'm giving up shattering people's illusions. If anyone thinks the weather here is shit, fine

And if that's deters you from coming to Melbourne, then.....

Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:32 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like business was brisk in the Auctions today...
All the rate rises do not seem to have slowed down the demand by much.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...69#post6066569
Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
hi Fraser . I was working a couple of streets over from your place on Friday.How hot was it?.I'd forgotten how the wind can whip up around there and blow all the dirt about.How the rellies coping with the heat?
Danny
They're coping ok mate, not nice in that wind is it?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

At last I find the Melbourne thread lol

You will be getting 1 extra ex-pat in that city when I get there on 29th of this month

Then off to Crown to put all the house sale money on black !
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
as the thread says m8

melbourne

was there last year

it does rain
That was the last time it friggin rained

It certainly rains no where near as much as Sydney or Brissy.....

Please rain god, fill my tanks. My pool is green and we need water to fill it up!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
That was the last time it friggin rained

It certainly rains no where near as much as Sydney or Brissy.....

Please rain god, fill my tanks. My pool is green and we need water to fill it up!
Know the feeling Hevs. Our pool would not be viable without the tanks which are full. But only because the water is not used for showering or drinking.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:53 pm

Tax in Melbourne (the two ends of the scale)
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...602384133.html
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi all we have talked and talked for ages about leaving this country as we have 3 young boys and feel this country is going one way. narrowed it down to oz and then further still to melbourne (more for the climate ) and have so many questions as have others. we are looking at doing a reccie in the 6 weeks summer holidays for a month to get a feel for ourselves but would like some help from you guys that are there already .
1. what are the schools like there compared to over here boys are 7,4,2
2. where is the best place to look at living , have looked at mornington penisula , mount martha and surrounding areas is this ideally suited for work , i am a plumber and primarily work on new build but will do any plumbing works , is there much work there for me and what is the average salary will i need to travel into the city for work or can it be local
3. also any tips on who to travel with and where to book cheap flights and to stay in a hotel or try and rent a house for the month
sorry have so many questions so will post them on here as and when i think of them all answers will GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi all we have talked and talked for ages about leaving this country as we have 3 young boys and feel this country is going one way. narrowed it down to oz and then further still to melbourne (more for the climate ) and have so many questions as have others. we are looking at doing a reccie in the 6 weeks summer holidays for a month to get a feel for ourselves but would like some help from you guys that are there already .
2. where is the best place to look at living , have looked at mornington penisula , mount martha and surrounding areas is this ideally suited for work , i am a plumber and primarily work on new build but will do any plumbing works , is there much work there for me and what is the average salary will i need to travel into the city for work or can it be local
3. also any tips on who to travel with and where to book cheap flights and to stay in a hotel or try and rent a house for the month
sorry have so many questions so will post them on here as and when i think of them all answers will GREATLY APPRECIATED

Am sure someone will be along to answer some of your questions, but in the meantime you may get some infor here regarding work and wages.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385198
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:27 pm

Rental vacancy rate below 1%
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...39#post6084539
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:34 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by @boy
God, how depressing! Still, better know ahead of time how tough its going to be. Let me know if any of your friends want to let out their houses to a lovely family from Ireland this summer (or should I say Winter).............
Irish Gal
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys

Hi, Im moving to Melbourne next week and have been there twice already - the area you are looking to move to is stunning. There is a rental problem in Melbourne at the moment but there is also a downturn in the market I'm told so its getting better.

I don't have kids but the OH's Aussie family say to send kids to Catholic schools as they provide better education than normal state ones.

We also found Singapore airlines to be the best value - booked directly off their website.

all the best for yout time there.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:14 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Hi, Im moving to Melbourne next week and have been there twice already - the area you are looking to move to is stunning. There is a rental problem in Melbourne at the moment but there is also a downturn in the market I'm told so its getting better.

I don't have kids but the OH's Aussie family say to send kids to Catholic schools as they provide better education than normal state ones.

We also found Singapore airlines to be the best value - booked directly off their website.

Hi Steve,
Good to read something optimistic about the property market in Melbourne.
Cheers - you've brightened my day
Irish Gal
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

If your child has learning difficulties (our boy is autistic) then don't use the Catholic schools as they don't have the funding for extra assistance that the state schools do...
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with this extremely generalized statement. If your child has learning difficulties state schools have far more funding to be able to cope, likewise state schools have far more funding-period AND often offer a far more varied curriculum. Its not always a case of you get what you pay for....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.