Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:01 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by talbot
Yes, the house prices are stupid. We rented foe a year and eventually bought a lovely 4 bedroomed home for $630 last Jan. The auction was a bloody nightmare though. Estate agents here are the dregs of society - so superficially false and damn liars - could start another thread about them!
But we have our house so are happy.
It's in North Williamstown - south Willy is even more expensive. Our mortgage is higher than in the UK, but the lifestyle is worth it.
and you did well at $630k - congratulations ! I am always happy to hear when someone has put that house hunting nightmare behind them :-)
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by @boy
and you did well at $630k - congratulations ! I am always happy to hear when someone has put that house hunting nightmare behind them :-)
Aah you're a sweetie - thanx! Are you "in the nightmare?"
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:11 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It is such a relief when it is over.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by talbot
Aah you're a sweetie - thanx! Are you "in the nightmare?"
Thankfully no. We bought in Rosanna in March '05. Thought we bought at the peak ! Happy we made the plunge in hindsight.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Wel i loved melbourne,when we went there for a year, we bought the mewalys and for a giggle, we went to nearly all the sites in the back,that are listed as things to see, haha good fun it were.

we are also heading to brisssy,but melbourne cant be knocked, the only thing is the weather, to close to ours back, home with the exception of hotter summers

when it rains it, rains big
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
we are also heading to brisssy,but melbourne cant be knocked, the only thing is the weather, to close to ours back, home with the exception of hotter summers

You may be talking about Sydney ?
We have been here in Melbourne for 5 years.
The amount of times I have pulled an umbrella out of the closet in that time could be counted on fingers and toes !
Mainly a blue sky, no rain city.
I believe that was very different prior to 2000 - it used to rain a lot then ?

Last edited by @boy; Mar 15th 2008 at 9:21 am.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

You may be talking about Sydney ?
We have been here for 5 years.
The amount of times I have pulled an umbrella out of the closet in that time could be counted on fingers and toes !
Mainly a blue sky, no rain city.
I believe that was very different prior to 2000 - it used to rain a lot then ?
as the thread says m8

melbourne

was there last year

it does rain
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:20 am

as the thread says m8

melbourne

was there last year

it does rain
Never said it didnt rain. but it isn't often :-)
I just found when you said "the only thing is the weather, to close to ours back, home", I simply couldn't agree.

Very happy to agree to disagree though - that's all good !
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

as the thread says m8

melbourne

was there last year

it does rain
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm what is rain? We're actually having a drought and are on stage 3b water restrictions..........
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, when it rains it REALLY rains. That seems to happen about 1 day every 3 months as far as I can see.

Buzzy
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:52 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Geez what I'd give for some decent rain.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I agree, when it rains it REALLY rains. That seems to happen about 1 day every 3 months as far as I can see.

Buzzy
Oh but when it does rain it's on our lovely tin roof - a lullaby for me.........
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:38 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Wel i loved melbourne,when we went there for a year, we bought the mewalys and for a giggle, we went to nearly all the sites in the back,that are listed as things to see, haha good fun it were.

Melbourne is drier than Brissy, classier than brissy, has more going on than Brissy, hell melbourne kicks brissy's arse.

HTH
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:04 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Melbourne is drier than Brissy, classier than brissy, has more going on than Brissy, hell melbourne kicks brissy's arse.

HTH
hi Fraser . I was working a couple of streets over from your place on Friday.How hot was it?.I'd forgotten how the wind can whip up around there and blow all the dirt about.How the rellies coping with the heat?
Danny
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Never used to be like this even 4 years ago. I remember winter 2004 being not far off a Brit one in some ways but skewed warmer.

Winter 2006 seemed to be the start of this chronically dry patch.

All this downpour means our village is only down 50mm on the year average but we need more consistency.

My back yard is now just starting to cure in places - finally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.