Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Hoping to move in June. My mother in law is at the last stages of cancer so we'll obviously wait etc.
Sorry to hear that, it's a sad time for you..

(but honestly, if it were my m-in-law I'd be happy) Thank goodness she's in Sydney and not here!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:05 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by talbot
Sorry to hear that, it's a sad time for you..

(but honestly, if it were my m-in-law I'd be happy) Thank goodness she's in Sydney and not here!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Where in Ireland are you? I did a stint as a radiographer at "Our Lady's" in Navan, Co Meath for just 2 months(in 1991) and had to leave because I loved the crack too much and couldn't save for the backpacking I was to do around Europe, so asked the Agency to send me somewhere boring, so I was sent to Shoreham-by-sea in west sussex where I saved very fast!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:38 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
mate, I'd steer clear it's a bit of a dump and has a really bad reputation

have you considered upper beaconsfield I hear that's nice.
Well actually it was more the Berwick area we took a liking to...is that a dump aswell ?

Lee
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:36 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Where in Ireland are you? I did a stint as a radiographer at "Our Lady's" in Navan, Co Meath for just 2 months(in 1991) and had to leave because I loved the crack too much and couldn't save for the backpacking I was to do around Europe, so asked the Agency to send me somewhere boring, so I was sent to Shoreham-by-sea in west sussex where I saved very fast!!
We're in Limerick. Our radiographer was Australian - and am taking it as a good omen
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

shannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really niceshannon9 is just really nice

Hoping to move in June. My mother in law is at the last stages of cancer so we'll obviously wait etc.
Where in ireland are you from.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that - hope things go ok for your move.

Give me a shout if there's anything I can help with when you get here!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:11 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Well actually it was more the Berwick area we took a liking to...is that a dump aswell ?

Lee
I hear you get a better quality off neighbour there
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you get a better quality off neighbour there
North of the Highway mate is the mantra I believe. (Seriously it has been said).

Some people try to pass of Narre as Berwick.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

mate, I'd steer clear it's a bit of a dump and has a really bad reputation

have you considered upper beaconsfield I hear that's nice.
It's a dump mate.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:51 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
North of the Highway mate is the mantra I believe. (Seriously it has been said).

For those of you looking at Berwick/Narre Warren/Cranbourne/Hallam, you should bookmark the local rag to help get a more local taste of news...
http://www.cranbourneleader.com.au/

All of these ares come under the Casey council, and again, you can get a better idea of a council area by having a good root around in their site.
http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/

Couple of things to be aware of if you intend to be working in the city and commuting from these suburbs....

'Transport issues'
http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/55802
"train passengers in Pakenham, Berwick, Narre Warren and Hallam had to contend with the highest percentage of cancelled trains in Melbourne last year, with a whopping 147.9 per cent jump."
Connex has been "working hard to deliver more services in the wake of three years of rapidly increasing patronage about 10 per cent each year "

....and leading on from that :

'Growing pains'
http://www.cranbourneleader.com.au/a..._csv_news.html
..the recent plans for the land release in Casey represents 20% of the TOTAL 90,000 blocks to be developed in the outer growth corridoors of Melbourne.
It's going to get big....and it could be painful for many years before the infrastructure plays catchup.
As Badge has pointed out before on this thread, and I agree, there will be no doubt be a lag for many years.

The summary of this is that if you are planning to buy as soon as you get here and you have not spent any time living in the area you are focusing on, then it is important to focus on the issues local to these areas and see if they may cause any conflict with your expectations as these could be gotchas that you may not otherwise have thought of. Issues that do not really appear in the regular news or ones that get glossed over as 'not really being a factor'.

The lure of all of these outer suburbs is obviously they are a helluva lot better priced than more established suburbs closer to town. The biggest factor I would think is whether realistically that you can work locally in these areas or will you have to be commuting into (or all over) the city from these areas.

Last edited by @boy; Mar 14th 2008 at 10:55 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

We live in Williamstown and everytime we visit anywhere else, I'm always happy to come back here. Because we're a peninsula, we don't have people driving through, we don't have any Macdonalds/Hungry Jack etc littering the streets, the marina with all the yachts is beautiful, as is the beach, and we're only about 20 mins from the city.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by @boy
For those of you looking at Berwick/Narre Warren/Cranbourne/Hallam, you should bookmark the local rag to help get a more local taste of news...
http://www.cranbourneleader.com.au/

All of these ares come under the Casey council, and again, you can get a better idea of a council area by having a good root around in their site.
http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/

Couple of things to be aware of if you intend to be working in the city and commuting from these suburbs....

'Transport issues'
http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/55802
"train passengers in Pakenham, Berwick, Narre Warren and Hallam had to contend with the highest percentage of cancelled trains in Melbourne last year, with a whopping 147.9 per cent jump."
Connex has been "working hard to deliver more services in the wake of three years of rapidly increasing patronage about 10 per cent each year "

....and leading on from that :

'Growing pains'
http://www.cranbourneleader.com.au/a..._csv_news.html
..the recent plans for the land release in Casey represents 20% of the TOTAL 90,000 blocks to be developed in the outer growth corridoors of Melbourne.
It's going to get big....and it could be painful for many years before the infrastructure plays catchup.
As Badge has pointed out before on this thread, and I agree, there will be no doubt be a lag for many years.

The lure of all of these outer suburbs is obviously they are a helluva lot better priced than more established suburbs closer to town. The biggest factor I would think is whether realistically that you can work locally in these areas or will you have to be commuting into (or all over) the city from these areas.
Nice one. Good sources. Berwick is definitely the jewel in the crown around there. It is the only place in the SE past Dandenong and industry with a sort of village/cafe feel. What was cow fields all around is now estates. It was a kind of oasis out there in the SE.

BTW I get the train and I've never noticed more than or two cancellations in 2.5 years - seems to be a thing on other lines so peak time trains seem OK. It is bad, the train fills at Hallam. When Officer develops it might get full earlier than Berwick.The other issue with the line is that after Hallam, it runs thorugh some of Melbourne's most highly charged and deprived areas. It's a wonder I personally haven't seen anything on my later trips back.

The reality is that Berwick and surrounds is changing a process which got speeded up 5-10 years ago. There are lots of socio-demographicalish type stuff going on. There are people in Olde Berwick (people use this term) and in some of the semirural villages who might not necessarily notice the noise down below, but the estates will get worse in my opinion. What was Olde Berwick will retain some of the charm, but the influx into Officer etc will start to choke it.

Hallam is far enough away with Fountain Gate between it and Berwick, and FG will absorb alot of the population and activity. FG is a worry - it breeds that US style social -demographic of breed, spend and shop.

Cranbourne - still lots of space there, but Berwick is the closest cafe joint to it unless people head for the sea down Thompsons Road. Cranbourne is still quite cheap for a reason.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 14th 2008 at 11:38 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:43 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Williamstown and everytime we visit anywhere else, I'm always happy to come back here. Because we're a peninsula, we don't have people driving through, we don't have any Macdonalds/Hungry Jack etc littering the streets, the marina with all the yachts is beautiful, as is the beach, and we're only about 20 mins from the city.
Agreed. Beautiful spot Williamstown. Where we first found our feet with friends for a month when we were fresh of the plane after first moving here.
What crazy house price changes in 5 years though ! A couple of hundred grand more expensive now.
If you intend to rent, definately a great option.
If you are looking to buy a family house there though, I would say you will struggle to find anything less than 650K.

If you can't afford Williamstown, Newport may be the next best option.

Last edited by @boy; Mar 14th 2008 at 11:46 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by @boy
Agreed. Beautiful spot Williamstown. Where we first found our feet with friends for a month when we were fresh of the plane after first moving here.
What crazy house price changes in 5 years though ! A couple of hundred grand more expensive now.
If you intend to rent, definately a great option.
If you are looking to buy a family house there though, I would say you will struggle to find anything less than 600K.

If you can't afford Williamstown, Newport is the next best option.
Yes, the house prices are stupid. We rented foe a year and eventually bought a lovely 4 bedroomed home for $630 last Jan. The auction was a bloody nightmare though. Estate agents here are the dregs of society - so superficially false and damn liars - could start another thread about them!
But we have our house so are happy.
It's in North Williamstown - south Willy is even more expensive. Our mortgage is higher than in the UK, but the lifestyle is worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.