Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Thought I'd throw this one into the pot

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...30#post5465430

This is a link to a post regarding our first year in Melbourne. Hope helps any of you still on the top half of the world.

Good luck all

Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

hi everyone

we are heading to mornington in may, just got visa grant today. its gr8. anyone going to mornington area kep in touch, can meet for nights out or in as they do in oz.

Diane
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by posh10
hi everyone

we are heading to mornington in may, just got visa grant today. its gr8. anyone going to mornington area kep in touch, can meet for nights out or in as they do in oz.

Diane
Hi Diane

Jason flies on the 3rd April, will be staying in the CBD initially, but we are looking to settle Mornington way, once the children and I arrive, looking forward to meeting you Congrats on the visa, hope you are celebrating tonight

Tracy
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Guys

Plenty of people do commute from Mornington, they accept the 1 hr 20 min+ drive in return for living in Mornington.

Buzzy
Wallan and Kinglake would be the Furthest distance that anyone travels that works as a Pysch nurse at the Royal Melbourne... which is right next to the RCH. No Mornington Psych Nurses at the Royal Melbourne.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancfamily
Evening all,

We've changed our minds so much about where we will head to upon arrival, but we've now decided to go to Mornington or nearby.
We plan on 3-4 weeks of visiting the different areas and schools etc before we commit to a rental property.

OH has accepted the long commute to the cbd, in return for living in beautiful surrounds

Laura

Consider Geelong and it's surrounds, it's a much easier trip in than Mornington... especially by train.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:34 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31
Hi, please could anyone offer some advise on the Western Melbourne areas.
We are looking for nice suburbs, good schooling and any other general advise you can throw at us. The Deers park region looks pretty good? Can anyone confirm this or give us there views on this part of the world?
Would be good to hear from anyone who has experience of these area's.
Deer Park is about 10 minutes from where I am. To be honest, it's not quite my cup of tea it's fairly run down in parts and when we looked at neighbouring Cairnlea (which is lovely) the real estate agents face put us off when we asked if there was much trouble from Deer Park . Saying that, a lot of kids from Deer Park get swimming lessons with my kids and they and their families all seem like really lovely people.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Hey

Enjoying reading this thread and can't wait to get over there.

Moving over permanently around Aug/sept but over on my validation trip in April.

I will be in Melbourne with a friend from Sydney from the 1oth of April for a week. Are there any meet ups on the weekend of 11/12/13th of April and if so can we come!!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Im a psych nurse and live in Mornington. Been here 2 years, building in Mt Martha.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:05 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Hi All,
Hoping to move to Melbourne in August and have been looking at the following areas:

Vermont, Vermont South, Ringwood, Heathmont, Bayswater, Wantirna, Scoresby and Nunawading.

My sister lives in Glen Iris (but jumped on the ladder 11 years ago) and there's no way we could live in the surrounding areas - but would like to be near her as such.

Anyone feel like commenting on these areas with regards to:

1. Commuting to CBD?
2. Good schools?
3. Good reputations as an area?
4. Any other comments?

Thanks a million!
Irish Gal
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the rough

Anyone got any comments on Dingly Village good or bad?
We're landing on 7th May, but we've got 4 weeks accommodation with OH job in CBD before we have to start looking for rentals.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:30 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Hi All,
Hoping to move to Melbourne in August and have been looking at the following areas:

Vermont, Vermont South, Ringwood, Heathmont, Bayswater, Wantirna, Scoresby and Nunawading.

My sister lives in Glen Iris (but jumped on the ladder 11 years ago) and there's no way we could live in the surrounding areas - but would like to be near her as such.

Anyone feel like commenting on these areas with regards to:

1. Commuting to CBD?
2. Good schools?
3. Good reputations as an area?
4. Any other comments?

Thanks a million!
Irish Gal

Sorry but I don't know those suburbs too good. However, a few points.

1.Commuting to CBD could be a pain if you have to use the freeways at rush hour and public transport is also packed at rush hours. However, this may be a price you pay for living in your own dream area.

2. There are good and bad schools in all areas, so I don't think this is a big problem. When you are finally narrowing your search down to a couple of areas, then check upon the schools.

3. Again, reputations can be misleading. For instance Ringwood has had a bit of a rough rep, but I think it's fine. Then again, like all places there is good and bad. Essentially, if you can see mostly good in somewhere, then the place will be ok.

4. Which brings me to my final comment. I suggest you don't commit to anywhere before you land. Rent as cheaply as you can in any area for 6 months or one year and check out the suburbs which you have shortlisted. And be prepared to be flexible. You hear all sorts of things on here about how good or bad some places are but everyone is different and what some people like others hate. You will be the same and you won't know what is right for you until you've had a feel for the place.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be more specific.
Originally Posted by Sianystar
Anyone got any comments on Dingly Village good or bad?
We're landing on 7th May, but we've got 4 weeks accommodation with OH job in CBD before we have to start looking for rentals.
Dingly Village is ok. It has been a bit of a building site recently as they've been building a new freeway nearby which means getting to Frankston, and therefore Mornington will be easier. Dingly is probably 15 minutes drive to the sea....maybe Black Rock or Sandringham....and not far from Oakleigh to the North (great if you like Greek food) and Moorabbin to the South. It can feel a bit out of the way (although it isn't), but that can be a good thing.

Commuting to the CBD may be a bit of a pain. Driving in rush hour is no fun, and I'm not sure there is a train line so you may have to drive to your nearest Frankston line train which will be busy.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice! I think we'll be doing the renting thing for at least a year anyway (thats if we ever sell our house here :curse
Only 8 weeks to go
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:27 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sianystar
Thanks for the advice! I think we'll be doing the renting thing for at least a year anyway (thats if we ever sell our house here :curse
Only 8 weeks to go
No worries...and don't be hassled with renting. It can be a bit tough to find places in some areas but there are properties out there for those who are looking. I'd pick somewhere not too far out from the CBD if you're not too familiar with Melbourne. A central(ish) location gives a good base to travel around. Then choose south if you want the sea, North if you want the city feel, East for suburbia, and West if you like living dangerously

Only joking...anywhere within about 10Km's of CBD is seen as central
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:53 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Thanks Shakmaty. I suppose I'm just anxious to get over there and trying to research in advance. I'll still be heading for East though as that's where my sister is based!
Take care
Irish Gal
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:58 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Thanks Shakmaty. I suppose I'm just anxious to get over there and trying to research in advance. I'll still be heading for East though as that's where my sister is based!
Take care
Irish Gal
No worries. Don't discount renting around Glen Iris/Burwood/Ashburton/Ashwood etc, while you're looking for an area you want to permanently settle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.