Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by The howellers View Post
we like the sound of ferntree gulley but worried its a bit far out? what is chelsea like?
Thanks, tracey.x
To far out of where??

30 Mins to the beach, 5 mins to the rainforrest & 10 mins to the best shopping mall in Melbourne.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bordy View Post
To far out of where??

30 Mins to the beach, 5 mins to the rainforrest & 10 mins to the best shopping mall in Melbourne.
Ok Ok!! i get you! thank you! ( i meant the city centre and beach)x
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:45 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ok Ok!! i get you! thank you! ( i meant the city centre and beach)x
We can drive to city centre in 25 mins ( not in peak hour traffic ). You could have the same house at the beach as you have in Ferntree Gully but it will cost $100,000 more.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

We can drive to city centre in 25 mins ( not in peak hour traffic ). You could have the same house at the beach as you have in Ferntree Gully but it will cost $100,000 more.
sounds good..whereabouts are you?x
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:51 pm
The Godfather

sounds good..whereabouts are you?x
In a little place called Ferntree Gully.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

In a little place called Ferntree Gully.
oohh!
Now i get you!so you recommend it then?we sometimes chat to Rachel and Adam?(i think) they call themselves THE CROWS.Lovely couple, and very helpful.we move out in 3 weeks time!
im just waiting in for someone to come and look at my car.2 people didnt show.its so rude when all they need to do is call! got christmas shopping and packing to do!!!xx
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent View Post
Falling over small walls drunk carrying bowling balls

Hope the ribs are getting better Hugh.

they seem to have recovered.

what about his scottish bowling buddy though that did make me laugh

went to his works xmas nite out (in Glen Waverley) the guy is so quiet, his ozzie work mates got him drunk he woke up in a grass patch near his house and had put his shoes neatly together in he middle of the road

and he didn't wake up till 9am, then had to go to work, can you imagine how many people must have passed him, lol,

Last edited by Margaret3; Dec 16th 2007 at 12:59 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:57 pm
The Godfather

oohh!
Now i get you!so you recommend it then?we sometimes chat to Rachel and Adam?(i think) they call themselves THE CROWS.Lovely couple, and very helpful.we move out in 3 weeks time!
im just waiting in for someone to come and look at my car.2 people didnt show.its so rude when all they need to do is call! got christmas shopping and packing to do!!!xx
Rach & Adam are 10 mins up the road from us & yes they are both lovely.

ps Just don't take Rach on at a drinking competition.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the inside info! we are meeting them for a drink, so i will remember that!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rach your on
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:03 pm
The Godfather

And even I can't keep up with Margaret.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

And even I can't keep up with Margaret.
Blimey! sounds like the place to be! Husband will be happy!
(hope i sell my car today, then its one less thing to do before the big move!!)
fancy meeting up too? we can all try and get together!x
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:12 pm
The Godfather

Blimey! sounds like the place to be! Husband will be happy!
(hope i sell my car today, then its one less thing to do before the big move!!)
fancy meeting up too? we can all try and get together!x
I'm sure we will meet up if your heading around this area. Have you got accomodation sorted yet?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm sure we will meet up if your heading around this area. Have you got accomodation sorted yet?
Yes 4 weeks in 3 bed bungalow in frankston south(no jokes! we have been sent a truck load!!)x
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [MELBOURNE] Modern movers heading downtown, or up north

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
What I find amazing in all of this, and it's very difficult for me to get my head around, is the seemingly massive difference between UK migrants and and Aussie born and breds in where they wish to live. I can cite many cases like the following, however this next example surprised even me.

Surely it depends on the Aussie? I know plenty of them, born and bred who live where I do. In fact us, my Mum and one other family are the only poms in our community.

However, I do agree with you re the old house thing. Lets face it its not gonna impress the rellies sending back a pic of a three bed red brick is it?

When I first came to Aus (for a visit) I was 12 and my family here all lived in what was the Aussie dream at that time...a 3 or 4 bed modest home on no less than a 1/4 acre block. At the tender age of 12 my aspirations were set.

So twenty years later......I am also NOT a city person, but neither am i an "estate" person so began looking quite far out. When we realised the lack of decent schools, hospitals etc further out we came back in only to find burbs, which I dislike as much as the city.....ho hum....My Aussie dream certainly was about as far away from a 40 sq home on a 500 square block where you can touch your neighbors house without leaving your own yard, or a fenced/ walled community with a man made lake stuck in the middle of it, as it could be. However, land is pretty expensive, so plan B was to find a decent block, not in a burb.. with a liveable home... NOT easy.

We found where we live by accident, the wrong turn at a round a bout to get back to my cousins in Rowville and the dream was found again. 10 mins in any direction (other than north) leads you into faceless burberama, head North go through some nice places to live with established homes and you're up in the Dandenongs, a place that soothes my soul..

The rub was that it was only a three bed red brick, HARDLY the migrants dream. Not only that but it hadn't been touched since it was built in 1973! The area runs on tank water, septic tanks, LPG gas, all mod cons! But it was on a 1/4 acre and had an established garden backing onto a reserve. The big plus was that we had renovated our old house in the UK and made enough money to fund the purchase of this one and only needed money as we renovate. It was a true case of worse house, best street, but we did some homework on surrounding streets and median prices etc and decided we couldn't go wrong.

The house is now a four bed and worth nearly twice what we paid for it, a fair return for four years, and its not finished yet. It was very amusing to read the "top house prices" in the Age (I think) where we came in as having two of the top three expensive roads in the whole of Melbourne. They have as few facilities as us on the cheap seats, but much more land!

But I digress, none of that was meant to be a boast, (sorry if it came out that way cos we are monster skint LOL ) it was just to point out that everyones dreams are different.

For us the dream wasn't easy, it meant a few years hard work and a home that will never be perfect, or seemingly finished , lets face it, it has NO MEDIA ROOM! how will we ever survive? But for our troubles we live the dream everyday when we open the curtains, open the door, step out onto the veranda to peace, greenness and no neighbors houses that I can reach out and touch from my own back yard. I was so wrapped today when I was painting outside and a king parrot landed on the rail two feet away from me and stayed a good five minutes, but he was scared off by the cockatoos! When I send those pics home, thats when I feel proud, but to another it would be a nightmare.

I guess we're all different, but would urge people to look beyond the Mc mansion and at the bigger picture, you never know what you may find

Last edited by hevs; Dec 16th 2007 at 2:25 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.