Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:48 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Bordy
And even I can't keep up with Margaret.
Neither can Dan Murphys
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Neither can Dan Murphys
oiiii
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: [MELBOURNE] Modern movers heading downtown, or up north

Originally Posted by @boy
Very good point there Margaret. The attached article from the Domain section of todays Age highlights this in more detail. An interesting read and a good explanation as to why we have seen such ridiculous jumps in median house prices in a lot of Melbourne suburbs over the last 12 months.

i.e. Glen Waverley has increased 40% from 445K to 645k.

Rising demand and limited supply for homes near key secondary schools in the middle suburbs is a major contributor to the escalation of property prices.

p.s. When you click on the attached thumbnail, once the image opens, you may still need to right click on it and select 'view image' if it is still not readable (in order to be able to zoom on it)

I remember reading this,(there was a similiar article in The Herald recently) in glen waverley i would buy a rabbit hutch and paint it if i could, about the kids needing their own space , doesn' bother us too much, we had a tiny house in scotland and i would be more than happy with a rabbit hutch in glen waverley, we are well used to living on top of each other. This suburb, for the time being, has the things we need for our kids, so if that means continuing to rent (and we are definately here for 2 years as 16 year old now starting VCE), then that means renting. However if a rabbit hutch (coz thats all we will be able to afford here) becomes available then we would defo buy it, coz i dont think you could go wrong buying in this suburb.

There is a house in our street for sale, and it has quite a small garden, its a complete dump!!!! and its up for sale at $550, however its been up for sale for bout six weeks now, which is unusual here, so who knows?? perhaps things are slowing down a little???

Last edited by Margaret3; Dec 16th 2007 at 8:57 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:38 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Falling over small walls drunk carrying bowling balls

Hope the ribs are getting better Hugh.
ouch
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Surely it depends on the Aussie? I know plenty of them, born and bred who live where I do. In fact us, my Mum and one other family are the only poms in our community.

However, I do agree with you re the old house thing. Lets face it its not gonna impress the rellies sending back a pic of a three bed red brick is it?

When I first came to Aus (for a visit) I was 12 and my family here all lived in what was the Aussie dream at that time...a 3 or 4 bed modest home on no less than a 1/4 acre block. At the tender age of 12 my aspirations were set.

So twenty years later......I am also NOT a city person, but neither am i an "estate" person so began looking quite far out. When we realised the lack of decent schools, hospitals etc further out we came back in only to find burbs, which I dislike as much as the city.....ho hum....My Aussie dream certainly was about as far away from a 40 sq home on a 500 square block where you can touch your neighbors house without leaving your own yard, or a fenced/ walled community with a man made lake stuck in the middle of it, as it could be. However, land is pretty expensive, so plan B was to find a decent block, not in a burb.. with a liveable home... NOT easy.

We found where we live by accident, the wrong turn at a round a bout to get back to my cousins in Rowville and the dream was found again. 10 mins in any direction (other than north) leads you into faceless burberama, head North go through some nice places to live with established homes and you're up in the Dandenongs, a place that soothes my soul..

The rub was that it was only a three bed red brick, HARDLY the migrants dream. Not only that but it hadn't been touched since it was built in 1973! The area runs on tank water, septic tanks, LPG gas, all mod cons! But it was on a 1/4 acre and had an established garden backing onto a reserve. The big plus was that we had renovated our old house in the UK and made enough money to fund the purchase of this one and only needed money as we renovate. It was a true case of worse house, best street, but we did some homework on surrounding streets and median prices etc and decided we couldn't go wrong.

The house is now a four bed and worth nearly twice what we paid for it, a fair return for four years, and its not finished yet. It was very amusing to read the "top house prices" in the Age (I think) where we came in as having two of the top three expensive roads in the whole of Melbourne. They have as few facilities as us on the cheap seats, but much more land!

But I digress, none of that was meant to be a boast, (sorry if it came out that way cos we are monster skint LOL ) it was just to point out that everyones dreams are different.

For us the dream wasn't easy, it meant a few years hard work and a home that will never be perfect, or seemingly finished , lets face it, it has NO MEDIA ROOM! how will we ever survive? But for our troubles we live the dream everyday when we open the curtains, open the door, step out onto the veranda to peace, greenness and no neighbors houses that I can reach out and touch from my own back yard. I was so wrapped today when I was painting outside and a king parrot landed on the rail two feet away from me and stayed a good five minutes, but he was scared off by the cockatoos! When I send those pics home, thats when I feel proud, but to another it would be a nightmare.

I guess we're all different, but would urge people to look beyond the Mc mansion and at the bigger picture, you never know what you may find
Great post, What you've chosen is hardly a migrants dream as you say, and based far more on reality, which is the methodology that most Aussies seem to take. I suppose there is much less pressure on the locals on having to live the dream, after all they haven't travelled 12,000 miles to find it.

BTW Margaret when you chose Glen Waverly for the schools, you didn't half get it right. I know people that moved from this area, because they couldn't afford schools like PLC, and saw GW high as a viable alternative. Only state school I know that is it's equal would be University High in Parkville and boy is that zoned. Trying buying in Parkville lol
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:53 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
BTW Margaret when you chose Glen Waverly for the schools, you didn't half get it right. I know people that moved from this area, because they couldn't afford schools like PLC, and saw GW high as a viable alternative. Only state school I know that is it's equal would be University High in Parkville and boy is that zoned. Trying buying in Parkville lol

McKinnon Secondary, but the inflation there is also ridiculous
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Surely it depends on the Aussie? I know plenty of them, born and bred who live where I do. In fact us, my Mum and one other family are the only poms in our community.

However, I do agree with you re the old house thing. Lets face it its not gonna impress the rellies sending back a pic of a three bed red brick is it?

When I first came to Aus (for a visit) I was 12 and my family here all lived in what was the Aussie dream at that time...a 3 or 4 bed modest home on no less than a 1/4 acre block. At the tender age of 12 my aspirations were set.

So twenty years later......I am also NOT a city person, but neither am i an "estate" person so began looking quite far out. When we realised the lack of decent schools, hospitals etc further out we came back in only to find burbs, which I dislike as much as the city.....ho hum....My Aussie dream certainly was about as far away from a 40 sq home on a 500 square block where you can touch your neighbors house without leaving your own yard, or a fenced/ walled community with a man made lake stuck in the middle of it, as it could be. However, land is pretty expensive, so plan B was to find a decent block, not in a burb.. with a liveable home... NOT easy.

We found where we live by accident, the wrong turn at a round a bout to get back to my cousins in Rowville and the dream was found again. 10 mins in any direction (other than north) leads you into faceless burberama, head North go through some nice places to live with established homes and you're up in the Dandenongs, a place that soothes my soul..

The rub was that it was only a three bed red brick, HARDLY the migrants dream. Not only that but it hadn't been touched since it was built in 1973! The area runs on tank water, septic tanks, LPG gas, all mod cons! But it was on a 1/4 acre and had an established garden backing onto a reserve. The big plus was that we had renovated our old house in the UK and made enough money to fund the purchase of this one and only needed money as we renovate. It was a true case of worse house, best street, but we did some homework on surrounding streets and median prices etc and decided we couldn't go wrong.

The house is now a four bed and worth nearly twice what we paid for it, a fair return for four years, and its not finished yet. It was very amusing to read the "top house prices" in the Age (I think) where we came in as having two of the top three expensive roads in the whole of Melbourne. They have as few facilities as us on the cheap seats, but much more land!

But I digress, none of that was meant to be a boast, (sorry if it came out that way cos we are monster skint LOL ) it was just to point out that everyones dreams are different.

For us the dream wasn't easy, it meant a few years hard work and a home that will never be perfect, or seemingly finished , lets face it, it has NO MEDIA ROOM! how will we ever survive? But for our troubles we live the dream everyday when we open the curtains, open the door, step out onto the veranda to peace, greenness and no neighbors houses that I can reach out and touch from my own back yard. I was so wrapped today when I was painting outside and a king parrot landed on the rail two feet away from me and stayed a good five minutes, but he was scared off by the cockatoos! When I send those pics home, thats when I feel proud, but to another it would be a nightmare.

I guess we're all different, but would urge people to look beyond the Mc mansion and at the bigger picture, you never know what you may find
Sums it up for us too! I can't imagine being happier anywhere else. We still need to do a fair bit of work on the house, but it has soul (man ) and a settled, happy aura
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

What I find amazing in all of this, and it's very difficult for me to get my head around, is the seemingly massive difference between UK migrants and and Aussie born and breds in where they wish to live. I can cite many cases like the following, however this next example surprised even me.

Bumped into a recently married nursing couple in one of our local supermarkets yesterday. Together they would be earning between AUD 150,000 and 200,000. A a year so have a lot of buying power and choice as to where they can choose to live. Thing is they have bought an old ex commission home in Coburg, which they plan to totally renovate and extend. AFAIK, this isnt for profiteering but a lifechoice as they like being able to do the cafe breakfast and city entertainment thing. I cannot imagine any migrant from the UK moving to an ex commission area and doing it up, So why do you think the locals are more than willing, in fact doing this in droves. ? The local suburbs and now full of Medical and Teaching employees. This couple have been around, they've seen the world travelled, it's not lack of imagination, or influence. They probably know plenty of people in the outer reaches, in lifestyle type properties, so they've got plenty of comparison. It seems that the locals born Aussies aren't moving to the outer areas in the same numbers as migrants. I wonder why ? I still hardly ever hear a UK accent around these parts. Although there has been a very slight increase, I'm always pleased to hear one though.

I would imagine this situation is the same throughout the 3 main cities on the East Coast.

When we eventally get to Melbourne we hope to move to an area fairly close to the city to take advantage of it. I grew up in London, and then moved to rural Ireland and have spent seven happy years here (apart from the rain), but I'm now looking forward to living in the city again within walking distance from shops, cafes and life in general and a quick tram or train ride from the city. We don't have any kids, so we don't have to worry about schools, so maybe that has something to do with it. I suppose it boils down to what your priorities are, if you have kids you probably need more space, a decent garden and have easy access to good schools. Luckily Melbourne seems to have something to please everyone (am I allowed to say that Bordy )

Dolly
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:19 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dolly
Luckily Melbourne seems to have something to please everyone (am I allowed to say that Bordy )

Dolly
If you had any sense you would go to Perth or Brissie Dolly where its beautiful all year round. Not like this cold hole called Melbourne.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Great post

My teen doesn't go to Glen Waverley High, she goes to the 'other' state school there and i am glad we chose that over Glen Waverley High, as it has well over 2,000 pupils, there breaks and start and stop times are staggered as the pupils cant all fit in at the same time, i also know a family here (scottish, by coincidence, who sent there daughter who was 17 , they and their daughter were not happy with it at all and pulled her out).
I am sure, if not positive that the one i have chosen is better (and a bit of well kept secret in glen waverley)

Last edited by Margaret3; Dec 17th 2007 at 9:13 am.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
McKinnon Secondary, but the inflation there is also ridiculous
we tried here too shakmaty, but couldn't get a rental
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:12 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
we tried here too shakmaty, but couldn't get a rental

Not surprised...it's sewn up

Waverley is a good place, though
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
ps Just don't take Rach on at a drinking competition.
I'm a bit out of practice Though managed to get the little ones home after the carols (after a bottle of fizz)
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Rach your on
Now that sounds like a challenge I'll let you know next time they have strippers (male btw) at the Oak Tree That definitely accelerates the need for alcohol
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The howellers
Hi!
If you have lived there for a few years can i ask your advice?Hubbies potential employment around cheltenham/ferntree/clayton areas...
where is a nice area fairly close to the beach and not mega expensive, to bring up our 3 year old, with nice shops, cafes parks etc?
we like the sound of ferntree gulley but worried its a bit far out? what is chelsea like?
Thanks, tracey.x
Hi Tracey

We actually spent our first 5 months here around Chelsea. Bear in mind, it's only a couple of kms nearer the city than Ferntree etc. I liked it - beautiful beach - but didn't really have the village atmosphere or community feel that other areas do. It has a strip of shops - friendly people - up and coming - a few colourful characters (J&Ds, 10am, kids in tow!!). Hard to get much larger than a 3 bed in Chelsea and many of the larger plots are being sub-divided and townhouses/units being built.

For larger houses you could look at Chelsea Heights (our daughter went to kinder there). Good park there for the kids. Again, for me, not much atmosphere really. Prices have gone up - 4 beds are about $440K.

Not much in the way of 'nice' cafe life and local shops. Patterson Lakes has a little shopping centre - main mall would either be Bayside at Frankston or Southland at Cheltenham. Not many 'proper' pubs - a couple of hotel type places (Chelsea Heights Hotel and The Cove, Patterson Lakes).

Mordialloc would be a better base - nicer cafes and a few bars too. Not sure of current house prices though.

Hope that helps at bit - look forward to meeting you soon!

Rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.