Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:41 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
maybe i am wrong...i dunno anymore !

Sorry i didnt contact you Karl but i forgot you bloody number

Just for the record Its windy,rainy and cold at the mo in Cov

Lee
Well, it certainly ain't no easy thing, this emigrating lark. Do you have any other options besides Melbourne? Why were you looking at Melbourne in particular?

It was a bit chilly here yesterday, but it's on it's way back up to the high 20's/low 30's
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:45 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Well, it certainly ain't no easy thing, this emigrating lark. Do you have any other options besides Melbourne? Why were you looking at Melbourne in particular?

It was a bit chilly here yesterday, but it's on it's way back up to the high 20's/low 30's
I just liked the sound of the place Climate seemed right,plenty of work(so i'm told) and Vic seems the most liveable state...those were the main reasons.
I have a 136 visa so i could potentially live anywhere....even blighty !

God i was cold when we got back....it was FREEZING when we got back to the house :curse:

Lee
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:52 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I just liked the sound of the place Climate seemed right,plenty of work(so i'm told) and Vic seems the most liveable state...those were the main reasons.
I have a 136 visa so i could potentially live anywhere....even blighty !

God i was cold when we got back....it was FREEZING when we got back to the house :curse:

Lee
Well, you'll just get the rose tinted view if you read my posts.....everything worked out great, and I'm living in my kind of paradise

But we're all different and that's what makes the World so great

On the weather issue, remember that this was probably the worst summer for the past 5 years....and at times it was bloody hot, but it don't stay like that forever

Sounds like you got some serious thinking to be doing
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:57 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you'll just get the rose tinted view if you read my posts.....everything worked out great, and I'm living in my kind of paradise

But we're all different and that's what makes the World so great

On the weather issue, remember that this was probably the worst summer for the past 5 years....and at times it was bloody hot, but it don't stay like that forever

Sounds like you got some serious thinking to be doing
When you say 'bad summer' do you mean not much sun?

To be honest i can't do anymore thinking,i'm all thought out

Just wish Melb had grabbed me by the balls a bit more..so to speak,but maybe thats a good thing......arggghhhh...i dunno !

Last edited by stuckinblighty; Mar 1st 2008 at 5:59 am.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:00 am
Take it easy

When you say 'bad summer' do you mean not much sun?

To be honest i can't do anymore thinking,i'm all thought out

Just wish Melb had grabbed me by the balls a bit more..so to speak,but maybe thats a good thing......arggghhhh...i dunno !
What about the rest of the family? What do they reckon?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:03 am
pink 'n' bouncy

What about the rest of the family? What do they reckon?
The missus wants to go for it and the kids liked the beaches.

I'm the worrier as you can probably tell
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

TELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the rough

When you coming over?
Hi
Fingers crossed September'ish. Really depends on house sale. Definitely before Christmas!

Never been in Melbourne but sounds perfect for us.

T
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:56 am
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by TELLYADDICT
Hi

T
thats what i thought

till i visited the place

Lee
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:16 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lee, I really do know what you mean. I did a reccie in 2005 and went to Perth and Sydney, came back and told everyone I didn't know what all the fuss was about. Melbourne seems like an urban sprawl at times. But you know, Sydney might seem spectacular but the harbour ain't all that. Never been to Brisbane, Darwin or Cairns so can't comment.

Adelaide seems nice but smallish for my liking. Perth even seemed small last time I visited it.

Remember the place itself is not everything. Its finding friends and your own watering hole, knowing your favourite Thai and what aisle in Bunnings to get the right widget that finally makes things home.

We go from everything we know to everything new and strangely it is when things become more familiar that it seems to slowly drift into place.

Right now there is no other place that I would rather be (and you know my story)!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:20 am
Take it easy

The missus wants to go for it and the kids liked the beaches.

I'm the worrier as you can probably tell
No harm worrying

Now do as your missus wants
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:22 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by TELLYADDICT
Hi
Fingers crossed September'ish. Really depends on house sale. Definitely before Christmas!

T
Good one, the spring here can be a bit dodgy weatherwise, but I reckon the worst time to come is the middle of summer, as it is the hardest to acclimatise.....that's when I turned up

Hope everyting goes smoothly for you....house selling can be a right pain
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:26 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good one, the spring here can be a bit dodgy weatherwise, but I reckon the worst time to come is the middle of summer, as it is the hardest to acclimatise.....that's when I turned up

Hope everyting goes smoothly for you....house selling can be a right pain

I arrived March and just froze my girlies off all winter waiting for the summer again!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:30 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by busterboy
I arrived March and just froze my girlies off all winter waiting for the summer again!
I arrived March 1st, from 0C to 37C
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Sianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the rough

Booked the flights last night, arriving 7th May!
Can't wait. Just wish the bloody house would sell.:curse:
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:49 am
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by busterboy
Lee, I really do know what you mean. I did a reccie in 2005 and went to Perth and Sydney, came back and told everyone I didn't know what all the fuss was about. Melbourne seems like an urban sprawl at times. But you know, Sydney might seem spectacular but the harbour ain't all that. Never been to Brisbane, Darwin or Cairns so can't comment.

Adelaide seems nice but smallish for my liking. Perth even seemed small last time I visited it.

Remember the place itself is not everything. Its finding friends and your own watering hole, knowing your favourite Thai and what aisle in Bunnings to get the right widget that finally makes things home.

We go from everything we know to everything new and strangely it is when things become more familiar that it seems to slowly drift into place.

Right now there is no other place that I would rather be (and you know my story)!
good post BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.