Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:47 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Maybe the high British population in Perth draws us Brits there, I wonder what the ratio of Australians to british are there, and if it's higher than other oz cities?
In some newer Perth suburbs there are about 25% british people living there. In some of the older suburbs it can still be high but they would be the 10 pound pom british.

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABS...tversion=false

If you enter the suburb name you can find out the number of brits per suburb for anywhere in australia.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:00 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bmatthews
I hear Perth is very modern but never been there so not sure myself. Melbourne is not especially modern - you are right. Perth is isolated from - everywhere! That may be a consideration too.

Good luck!

Ben.
Also some find perth boring becasue its a small city and some complain about shops being closed and deserted streets. Melbourne has a much larger population and is a much larger city in size and is more multi-cultural and vibrant.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

Im moving to Perth in four weeks!! Does anyone think its a really good place to live?!

Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmo2552

Im moving to Perth in four weeks!! Does anyone think its a really good place to live?!

A lot of Aussies say it's the best city in Australia. So it doesnt matter what other people think, its what you think about it that counts.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Top 10 ethnic minorities in Perth metro area:

United Kingdom: 168,483
New Zealand: 33,751
Malaysia: 18,939
Italy: 18,701
South Africa: 18,683
India: 14,007
Singapore: 11,199
Vietnam: 10,081
Republic of Ireland: 7,706
People's Republic of China: 7,681
(Source).

The only capital with more Poms than Perth is Sydney (175,166).
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:13 am
Banned

bmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nicebmatthews is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
A lot of Aussies say it's the best city in Australia. So it doesnt matter what other people think, its what you think about it that counts.
No one's opinion is more correct than yours, even if they come out with facts and figures and stats to back their opinion up - it still doesn't invalidate yours!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I believe that the ratio of brits in Perth is considerably higher - and that is why I have no desire to live there!

I don't want to live with the sort of British people who would prefer to live with British people!!!!

Buzzy
Very well put, and funny too.

Wich is completely different of course to saying you don't like British people.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Very well put, and funny too.

Wich is completely different of course to saying you don't like British people.

Yeah, nothing like it at all!!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Yeah, nothing like it at all!!
To be fair, I am quite sure that no British expat knowingly wants to surround themselves with only British people - unless of course they are deliberately buying into a 'scene' because they are following friends and family over who they might have visited on holiday. Others want to focus on the spoils - the cars, the houses, parties, cocktail circuit. If that is Brit, so be it.

I think the economic migrants move to the same old estates, where their neighbours are kindreth spirits - 'which 4x4/jetski - kitchen tile colour..what do you do, where do you come from [it's like an edition of Blind Date]. Before they know it, they know only British people and then much later, some realise they have nothing in common with Australians which then does not bother them unduly - until someone tries to rub their noses in it.

Personally, I would say I am not that interested in living like some British migrants. A lifestyle thing, though, not a nationality thing.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
To be fair, I am quite sure that no British expat knowingly wants to surround themselves with only British people - unless of course they are deliberately buying into a 'scene' because they are following friends and family over who they might have visited on holiday. Others want to focus on the spoils - the cars, the houses, parties, cocktail circuit. If that is Brit, so be it.

I think the economic migrants move to the same old estates, where their neighbours are kindreth spirits - 'which 4x4/jetski - kitchen tile colour..what do you do, where do you come from [it's like an edition of Blind Date]. Before they know it, they know only British people and then much later, some realise they have nothing in common with Australians which then does not bother them unduly - until someone tries to rub their noses in it.

Personally, I would say I am not that interested in living like some British migrants. A lifestyle thing, though, not a nationality thing.
Yeah, completely agree .
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

z3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nice

There's certainly no place like Perth.
I'm moving back to perth by the end of next month, having spent 6 agonizing months in abu dhabi.
If anyone thinks that the weather is anywhere near hot in WA. Try to imagine 50 degrees coupled with a sand storm at al reem island.

Sometimes, you have to taste something much more bitter to realize the privileges you've had before.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by mohogony
Also some find perth boring becasue its a small city and some complain about shops being closed and deserted streets. Melbourne has a much larger population and is a much larger city in size and is more multi-cultural and vibrant.
I actually like Melbourne city centre the least of the Ozzie cities we've been to, to be honest I just couldn't get my head round the damn place. Our favorite city centre is actually brisbane. Easy to get round and they've got those buses with their own lane to get there (very cool), it was the only thing I did like about the place though.

If I could have the centre of Brisbane, with the lifestyle of Melbourne, with the cleanliness and prettiness of Perth I reckon it'd be a perfect Oz for me!