Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Couple of queries on cable internet and shipping out my current networking kit.

Couple of queries on cable internet and shipping out my current networking kit.

Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

alexstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of queries on cable internet and shipping out my current networking kit.

Just a quick one.

Cable Internet:
I am moving to melb in July and am looking to get the fastest internet connection available to me. I have been looking at the bigpond 30mb cable service which is as good as im gonna get compared to my 50mb virgin line here in london. My sister who lives in Melbourne has said that alot of her friends have advised not to touch bigpond due to reliability issues. Anyone had any issues with their cable service?

Wireless:
I have a substantial home setup with my network here at home however i have read somewhere that you arnt able to ship certain items that transmit certain types of radio frequencies. Are there any issues my shipping current kit?

I have noticed on a couple of sites that there are australian variants of wireless models but i cannot see how they are any different to the UK spec ones.

It would be a substantial additional outlay to start replacing my 300meg wireless network here at home when i move out to melb in July.

Homeplug:
I also use homeplugs (200meg ones) here in the house to transmit secure data from my file server to other machines in the house. Has anyone had any experience of using UK home plugs through convertors? Again these are substantially more expensive in australia should i have to replace them.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

sammarsh1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couple of queries on cable internet and shipping out my current networking kit.

I'll do my best to answer these but i dont have any "facts"

RE: Transmitting wifi kit; you should be fine. They arent powered on so they wont be emitting any signals. Better still, wrap them in ASD bags just to illustrate this.

The spectrum question (replacing all your 300Mb kit): Providing there is no Aus. rules and regulations on the unlicensed usage of the 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz range, your wifi kit will work fine and as it did in the UK. Probably worth looking this point up on the internet though (australia licensed spectrum) should be a good search term.

Homeplugs again should work fine, but bear in mind running them through any kind of extra layer (another fusebox, an adapter etc) will give you a performance hit, sometimes a big one.

Hope this helped,
Sam.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Couple of queries on cable internet and shipping out my current networking kit.

cheers sam.

i know too ewll about performance hits with the home plugs as one of them here only hits 50mb out of the available 200mb
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

sammarsh1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah they are a pig - it depends on so much though; generally the grade of copper in the electrical circuit affects it most, but other things such as appliances plugged in etc can set it off too. Generally i use them for connectivity only and not for performance dependent things I.e. Steaming movies over them is generally a problem!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

yup....thinking of going all hard wired with a gig switch next
Old Feb 28th 2010, 10:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Couple of queries on cable internet and shipping out my current networking kit.

Originally Posted by alexstein
Homeplug:
I also use homeplugs (200meg ones) here in the house to transmit secure data from my file server to other machines in the house. Has anyone had any experience of using UK home plugs through convertors? Again these are substantially more expensive in australia should i have to replace them.
They are more expensive in Australia, so keep your UK ones. I have a pair of Netgear 200Mbps plugs and they work perfectly well over here.

Old Feb 28th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers bud
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Also check out Optusnet for Cable,
you will no go far wrong researching here - just remember cable or ADSL internet is not available in all areas of Melbourne

http://broadbandguide.com.au/?gclid=...FcgvpAodrGufeA