Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Have lived in inner city Perth for a good number of years and if i was repeating the move i would go for Melbourne if i had the choice.
Perth these days is barely worth consideration in my view for all the reasons given,but the big one in my book is the high cost of so many things for example eating out here is pricer than Melbourne but often found to be of inferior quality. and although we are supposed to be going through a boom in this state,where is the social dividend? Lots of talk over the years with regards to eradicating the Dullsville tag but with only very limited success.
My partner being away in Melbourne,as it happens, on business for four days last week i took it upon myself to rediscover the delights of Perth.
On a Thursday evening there was an almost non existant city vibe.On my walk from my house to the city..twenty minutes i passed two people in total on the footpath.
CBD had a few folk walking around but most appeared to be Asian,perhaps tourists for the most part along with a few foreign students and backpackers...not many long time locals from what i could observe.Probably all home in front of the tv as folk tend to do a lot here.Looked in a few pubs a couple had a far crowd one had three punters...a couple of Asian eating houses were full while rest almost empty.
Hard to come to terms with this was the centre of a city approaching one and a half million people yet so lacking in energy and vibe which in reality can barely be considered as belonging in the ranks of a city.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Have lived in inner city Perth for a good number of years and if i was repeating the move i would go for Melbourne if i had the choice.
Perth these days is barely worth consideration in my view for all the reasons given,but the big one in my book is the high cost of so many things for example eating out here is pricer than Melbourne but often found to be of inferior quality. and although we are supposed to be going through a boom in this state,where is the social dividend? Lots of talk over the years with regards to eradicating the Dullsville tag but with only very limited success.
My partner being away in Melbourne,as it happens, on business for four days last week i took it upon myself to rediscover the delights of Perth.
On a Thursday evening there was an almost non existant city vibe.On my walk from my house to the city..twenty minutes i passed two people in total on the footpath.
CBD had a few folk walking around but most appeared to be Asian,perhaps tourists for the most part along with a few foreign students and backpackers...not many long time locals from what i could observe.Probably all home in front of the tv as folk tend to do a lot here.Looked in a few pubs a couple had a far crowd one had three punters...a couple of Asian eating houses were full while rest almost empty.
Hard to come to terms with this was the centre of a city approaching one and a half million people yet so lacking in energy and vibe which in reality can barely be considered as belonging in the ranks of a city.
Thanks for the short but very informative post.

I think, there is too much unnecessary restrictions in Perth, which is not conducive for growth and prosperity,
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I think something that's been niggling away at us is the fact that we know more people in Perth and the idea of moving there isn't as scary as is the thought of moving to Melbourne cos we only know one couple there and for me I sort of feel like I'll be more alone. I've always thought that if you're gonna move all that way why move to a place just because you know people but now now im sort of thinking I'm gonna need all the shoulders to cry on that I can find and some familiar faces from home would be nice.....
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I think something that's been niggling away at us is the fact that we know more people in Perth and the idea of moving there isn't as scary as is the thought of moving to Melbourne cos we only know one couple there and for me I sort of feel like I'll be more alone. I've always thought that if you're gonna move all that way why move to a place just because you know people but now now im sort of thinking I'm gonna need all the shoulders to cry on that I can find and some familiar faces from home would be nice.....
I feel the same, we know lots of people in perth having lived there for 6 years and are planning to return to oz this year hopefully but something is telling me not to go back to perth and to give queensland a try, my husband really wants to head to queensland too. I am scared because i dont know anybody and being at home with young children it would be useful to have ready made friends, but it seems silly to head back to perth when i didnt really love it all that much and the idea of going back there doesnt excite me - iykwim
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
I feel the same, we know lots of people in perth having lived there for 6 years and are planning to return to oz this year hopefully but something is telling me not to go back to perth and to give queensland a try, my husband really wants to head to queensland too. I am scared because i dont know anybody and being at home with young children it would be useful to have ready made friends, but it seems silly to head back to perth when i didnt really love it all that much and the idea of going back there doesnt excite me - iykwim
It's hard isn't it, do you go with the safe option? I think my husband would prefer us to go to Perth if only for the fact that I'll have some 'support' and possibly it may make it easier for me to settle, because of the emotional creature I am homesickness is gonna be a big issue!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
We validated in Perth as OH has relatives there (auntie, uncle plus 2 cousins and their families) and we thought it would be wise to go somewhere where there was family to help us but to be honest even that fact could not persuade us to live there - feel really bad that we are not going to Perth for them as they were delighted when they heard we were thinking of emigrating and were fantastic to us while we were in Perth .

The only person we know in Melly is an ex work colleage of mine so, although someone is better then no-one, its quite a scary prospect going it alone - still wont sway us back to Perth tho!!

Kari

p.s. as ex pats we should all be prepared to become surrogate family to other ex pats; we're all in the same position at the end of the day
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the OH are trying to weigh up what we think are pros and cons about each city to make a final decision on where to live. So far the only thing Perth has over Melbourne is cleanliness, we found Perth a lot cleaner. But I'd like to hear from people who live in either place or who may have lived in both, what you think the pros and cons are of living in either city.

Thanks
Perth is prettier, cleaner and warmer. It is "easy" to live here, not a lot of traffic etc. It is also quieter, has less vibrancy, is more remote and has a bit of an "up itself" attitude. Having said that, I love it here.

I also love Melbourne and suspect I would love living there also. It has great shops and cafes, better shopping hours and a lot of vibrancy. Weather is average, and it is quite grey.

If you are young, I would pick Melbs. If you have a family, I would pick Perth (but don't live in teh Northern suburbs a long way from the city)
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Weather is average, and it is quite grey.
Yes. You haven't lived here yet have you? You may be pleasantly surprised.

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Perth is prettier, cleaner and warmer.
I agree with that definitely.

If you are young, I would pick Melbs. If you have a family, I would pick Perth (but don't live in teh Northern suburbs a long way from the city)

So what if you're young AND have a young family??

Last edited by suzyambrose; Feb 25th 2010 at 11:06 am.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:43 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

We're heading to Melbourne next year with two teenage daughters. We've never lived there, but had two visits, staying once in Docklands & once in St. Kilda...the second time particularly, we feel like we really got "under the skin" of the city.

Loved it: the vibe, the music scene, the bakeries, the shopping - even the graffiti - did you know you can take walking tours especially to see the most popular area for urban art

Queen Vic market is fantastic & they have the night markets too, which are great; transport anywhere is so cheap & easy & safe - we saw kids at all times of the day & evening travelling about both in & out of school uniforms & they were polite & well behaved...we walked the streets at all times of the night (jet lag) & felt totally secure.

Can't comment on Perth as I have never been - I do have online friends there, but I just think you have to go where you feel is right for you & your family. Online friends are great, but I feel it isn't fair to assume you can rely on them for support when you are making a decision about where to live.

Best of luck
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Any comments about keysborough.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shafanm
Any comments about keysborough.
Do a search I'm sure you'll find plenty.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do a search I'm sure you'll find plenty.
Your correct, But nothing like from those who live in that area
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks guys great pro's and con's. And we've finally made our decision and it's definitely Melbourne. I knew in my heart that's where I wanted to go but we just had to look at every option.

I love Mornington and St Kilda
I think you have made a great decision..all the best
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee

Loved it: the vibe, the music scene, the bakeries, the shopping - even the graffiti - did you know you can take walking tours especially to see the most popular area for urban art

Queen Vic market is fantastic & they have the night markets too, which are great; transport anywhere is so cheap & easy & safe - we saw kids at all times of the day & evening travelling about both in & out of school uniforms & they were polite & well behaved...we walked the streets at all times of the night (jet lag) & felt totally secure.

Can't comment on Perth as I have never been - I do have online friends there, but I just think you have to go where you feel is right for you & your family. Online friends are great, but I feel it isn't fair to assume you can rely on them for support when you are making a decision about where to live.

Best of luck
Believe it or not, Melbourne is one of the Main Cultural centers of the World for Graffiti art.... It's one of the main reasons the top international Graffiti Artists head here.

We should go on one of those walks ourselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_art_in_Melbourne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.