Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Me and the OH are trying to weigh up what we think are pros and cons about each city to make a final decision on where to live. So far the only thing Perth has over Melbourne is cleanliness, we found Perth a lot cleaner. But I'd like to hear from people who live in either place or who may have lived in both, what you think the pros and cons are of living in either city.

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Me and the OH are trying to weigh up what we think are pros and cons about each city to make a final decision on where to live. So far the only thing Perth has over Melbourne is cleanliness, we found Perth a lot cleaner. But I'd like to hear from people who live in either place or who may have lived in both, what you think the pros and cons are of living in either city.

Thanks
If you mean a bit of graffiti, then you can dismiss that really. Melbourne is very clean, really compared to many European cities. (What do people mean by clean anyhow - do they walk down the street, with a magnifying glass- do they enter shops and buildings and run a gloved-finger along the top of the door?)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If you mean a bit of graffiti, then you can dismiss that really. Melbourne is very clean, really compared to many European cities. (What do people mean by clean anyhow - do they walk down the street, with a magnifying glass- do they enter shops and buildings and run a gloved-finger along the top of the door?)

Yeah that's exactly what I mean I take my mr sheen wherever I travel just incase, I mean come on! arsey.

It's nothing to do with graffiti I saw just as much graffiti in Perth as I did in Melbourne. It might be clean compared to european cities but it's Perth I'm talking about and it's not as clean as there.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:37 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

That's like comparing Piccadilly Gardens with Deansgate.... both are a long way off from where I live and I wouldn't want to live in either of them.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's like comparing Piccadilly Gardens with Deansgate.... both are a long way off from where I live and I wouldn't want to live in either of them.
Fair enough!

Anyone who does live in either of them please reply
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:52 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

all I can say is that I live in perth and I havent been to melbourne. I agree that perth is a clean city,all I can say about melbourne is that the weather is unpredictable from what Ive been told...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay.I live in Perth and am very happy there but cant compare to Melbourne as I have never lived there.I find it mostly clean and its a shame about the graffiti.However for you I would focus on where your husband can get a job and where you can afford to live.On your husbands wage as a barber which city can he make it stretch the most.Perth can be very expensive.As lovely as it is if you are struggling to make ends meet its not pretty.Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Okay.I live in Perth and am very happy there but cant compare to Melbourne as I have never lived there.I find it mostly clean and its a shame about the graffiti.However for you I would focus on where your husband can get a job and where you can afford to live.On your husbands wage as a barber which city can he make it stretch the most.Perth can be very expensive.As lovely as it is if you are struggling to make ends meet its not pretty.Good luck with your decision.
To be honest I think my husband could probably get a job anywhere since everyone needs their cut it's not state specific but, like you say, where can we make the wage stretch the most? and how do you find out without living in both places? At least in Melbourne I could shop at aldi!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think my husband could probably get a job anywhere since everyone needs their cut it's not state specific but, like you say, where can we make the wage stretch the most? and how do you find out without living in both places? At least in Melbourne I could shop at aldi!
Its the same with my husband being a chef as people always need feeding.Getting the job is the easy part.Getting a decent wage to survive on and pay the mortgage,school fees,petrol,gas,food,insurance,phone,car repairs,doctors,and icecream for the kids.Well thats the tricky bit.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Its the same with my husband being a chef as people always need feeding.Getting the job is the easy part.Getting a decent wage to survive on and pay the mortgage,school fees,petrol,gas,food,insurance,phone,car repairs,doctors,and icecream for the kids.Well thats the tricky bit.
That's true, unfortunately barbering isn't one of the well paid jobs and hopefully my husband will open his own barbers in one day and it will be a success like his shop here
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:28 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Perth has lots of sunny days, sunsets over the sea and a resources sector making money (and pushing up house prices). It is miles and miles from anywhere though.

Melbourne has mucho weather, seems to be doing well in jobs recently, lots of things going on (big city) and is close enough to other places to actually reach them. However, it has *weather* and its size means the suburbs are getting disjoint and commuting is a drag over a transport system that creaks.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

I lived in central Perth for about 5 weeks and North Melbourne for 6 months. So my view will be rather limited.

I'll give my recollections ( a bit hazy since it was 3 years ago)

Perth

Pros

Clean
Warm weather
Fremantle
Cottesloe Beach
Good public transport system
Interesting bars/restaurants in Northbridge.
Margerat River region

Cons

Oppresive heat
Weird shopping hours, most places closing around 6pm.
Northbridge at 1am
Gangs that hang around the train station

Melbourne

Pros

Culture & Festivals
Bars & Restaurants
4 Seasons in 1 day
Surrounding countryside
Queen Victoria Markets
Sport
The vibe of the city
Locals seem friendlier
Decent public transport..jurys out on that

Cons

King St and CBD at weekends
Idiots at Flinders St Station
4 Seasons in 1 day
Bouncers at bars and clubs
AFL considered the be all and end all of sport.

That list may or may not be of any use to anyone. BTW I am moving back to Melbourne in 2 weeks so that might answer your question
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leedelta
I lived in central Perth for about 5 weeks and North Melbourne for 6 months. So my view will be rather limited.

I'll give my recollections ( a bit hazy since it was 3 years ago)

Perth

Pros

Clean
Warm weather
Fremantle
Cottesloe Beach
Good public transport system
Interesting bars/restaurants in Northbridge.
Margerat River region

Cons

Oppresive heat
Weird shopping hours, most places closing around 6pm.
Northbridge at 1am
Gangs that hang around the train station

Melbourne

Pros

Culture & Festivals
Bars & Restaurants
4 Seasons in 1 day
Surrounding countryside
Queen Victoria Markets
Sport
The vibe of the city
Locals seem friendlier
Decent public transport..jurys out on that

Cons

King St and CBD at weekends
Idiots at Flinders St Station
4 Seasons in 1 day
Bouncers at bars and clubs
AFL considered the be all and end all of sport.

That list may or may not be of any use to anyone. BTW I am moving back to Melbourne in 2 weeks so that might answer your question

Interesting....less cons for Perth but they seem more valid if you know what I mean. Any particular reason for the move back to Melbourne?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GarryP
Perth has lots of sunny days, sunsets over the sea and a resources sector making money (and pushing up house prices). It is miles and miles from anywhere though.

Melbourne has mucho weather, seems to be doing well in jobs recently, lots of things going on (big city) and is close enough to other places to actually reach them. However, it has *weather* and its size means the suburbs are getting disjoint and commuting is a drag over a transport system that creaks.
Are there any plans to update the public transport system in Melbourne do you know?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I have lived in both , more of a difference than pros and cons to my mind.
Perth
As some above have said its warmer
Better planning to a degree ( desal water 1st in Aust.Only passenger rail built in last 10 years)
NO ROAD TOLLS
Good roads (where I live anyway )

Melbourne
Better rail and tram connections
Better Airport
Climate of four seasons -more European
Better / best cafe culture in Aust. -eating out etc
Has real newspapers

They both have heat waves
food is similar- price
Housing will set you back in both

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.