Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:20 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

www.melbourne.com
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Heres the new inner city rail upgrade.... A new tunnel creating more track in the inner part of Melbourne.

http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/web2...7?OpenDocument
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:59 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

lived in both prefer Melb and will move back there as soon as I can, reasons:

Melbourne
good things
loved the weather - the cool changes and seasons are fantastic, no sea breeze
Gorgeous calm swimming in the bay (mornington, Seaford etc)
housing more affordable
7 day week trading
the city - Oh I LOVE it!
Great transport system
more culture
lots to do
not isolated can drive to Adelaide, Sydney etc...
can go snowboarding in the winter for the day
better schools

Bad things
no water
toll roads

Perth
Scary (as mentioned) I dont feel safe too many Hoons and graffiti, people they will write on anything here!
Bad transport
nothing open
hot,hot,hot for days on end with no relief, then weeks and weeks of rain and more rain!
Very expensive
beaches packed
too isolated (this is my main problem with Perth)
quiet, sleepy and stuck in a time warp
housing unaffordable
too windy
bad schools

I can't really think of anything good to say about Perth, oh maybe the wages here are higher, but then so is cost of living........
God I am depressed now can't wait to get back to Melbs!

Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:48 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
lived in both prefer Melb and will move back there as soon as I can, reasons:

Melbourne
good things
loved the weather - the cool changes and seasons are fantastic, no sea breeze
Gorgeous calm swimming in the bay (mornington, Seaford etc)
housing more affordable
7 day week trading
the city - Oh I LOVE it!
Great transport system
more culture
lots to do
not isolated can drive to Adelaide, Sydney etc...
can go snowboarding in the winter for the day
better schools

Bad things
no water
toll roads

Perth
Scary (as mentioned) I dont feel safe too many Hoons and graffiti, people they will write on anything here!
Bad transport
nothing open
hot,hot,hot for days on end with no relief, then weeks and weeks of rain and more rain!
Very expensive
beaches packed
too isolated (this is my main problem with Perth)
quiet, sleepy and stuck in a time warp
housing unaffordable
too windy
bad schools

I can't really think of anything good to say about Perth, oh maybe the wages here are higher, but then so is cost of living........
God I am depressed now can't wait to get back to Melbs!

Good luck
Thanks for that, thats a good pro's and con's

Last edited by Beachband; Jan 15th 2010 at 4:50 am.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:08 am
Just Joined

janlouise will become famous soon enoughjanlouise will become famous soon enough

Ok, Perth.

The main thing you have to understand about Perth is that if you look at a map of Western Australia, and even South Australia, and Northern Territory, you will see that there is Perth, and a very long long drive to the next city...

The isolation is something that you would have to enjoy. But this has its plus sides too...it can intensify things...take the music scene for example...Perth bands are very good as unlike bands on the east coast that can just do the pub circuit and build up a name, they are stuck in the same circuit in the same city. To make it big they have to go to the east coast and start again really. You can apply this isolation rule to all sorts of things in Perth. The teachers are the best and most well behaved teachers in Australia. Their discipline is to be shifted out to whoop whoop if they misbehave, lol. This is certainly an aspect of Perth that you have to think about (the isolation)

Melbourne
Melbourne is the centre of a very populated state. Sure the weather is weepier than perth, but it all depends whether you like the heat or the cool changes. You should look up the monthly weather reports from both cities. Perth is usually much hotter, Melbourne more mellow.

Melbourne has the advantage of being accessable to a lot more places. It has every type of school you could wish, lots of theatre, museums, sport, Universities, eateries of every culture, and it also has been called the shopping capitol of Australia. It has trams and trains that can get you anywhere within the city, and a seaside or mountain weekend away is only 3 or 4 hours drive.

It really depends on whether you want isolation and the intensity that comes with it, or to be in the middle of a busy very populated area?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Thanks guys great pro's and con's. And we've finally made our decision and it's definitely Melbourne. I knew in my heart that's where I wanted to go but we just had to look at every option.

I love Mornington and St Kilda
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:08 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Thanks guys great pro's and con's. And we've finally made our decision and it's definitely Melbourne. I knew in my heart that's where I wanted to go but we just had to look at every option.

Great choice!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to stop reading all these comments as it is making me want to move to MelbourneSue.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Just have to look at schools now, already looked at a few. I think we'll probably be looking around Frankston/Seaford areas so if anyone can tell me which primary schools I shouldn't bother looking at please let me know

Last edited by suzyambrose; Jan 15th 2010 at 10:06 am.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:26 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Just have to look at schools now, already looked at a few. I think we'll probably be looking around Frankston/Seaford areas so if anyone can tell me which primary schools I shouldn't bother looking at please let me know
Great choice, I am very envious right now. We used to live in Aspendale, when I get back there I would love to live in Mornington, its my fave place. As for schools I dont have children and so know of any good ones apart from Mentone was good and the kids seemed nice there, but thats a bit further down if you are going to live around Seaford it might be too far.

Seaford is better than Frankston, there is a lovely stretch of beach there, its heaven and still pretty affordable. Frankston is a lot cheeper, but it used to get bad wrap when I was there, although I think that they are trying to 'do it up' and it does look nicer now, and has good shopping and restaurants.

Ohhh I might have to hassle my hubby some more tonight, I want to move back there! We go every year back there for holiday, might book one now

Good luck
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

We validated our visas in Perth and, until our validation reccie, Perth was the state we wanted to emigrate to mainly because OH has relatives there BUT ... after visiting we could not see ourselves ever living there for all the cons people have listed here and more.

We have never visited Melbourne but just from research we feel sure it'll hold so much more for us a family, things like:

- proximity to other states meaning that we wouldn't have to get on a plane to visit one or more of the closer ones.

- a more euopean look to a lot of the properties which we personally like (colourbond fencing and Stepford-Wives-McMansion hell is NOT for us!). Many properties are 2 storey, which means that the block of land isn't almost entirely taken up by a bungalow).

- 4 distinct seasons (I never really thought I would say this in the early days of wanting to emigrate but I would definitely miss a bit of frost now and again)

- to have a choice in the winter to visit some snow (or not!!).

I am sure there are many more good reasons I'll come across as I continue my research on Melbourne while we wait to get there!

Wishing you all the best with your move. Have you had any thoughts on where abouts you would like to go in Melbourne?

Kari
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mohogony
What a brilliant link, the photography is amazing
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Melbourne VS Peth
any comments for job opportunities for pastry chef's among the above two cities.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:04 am
Just Joined

janlouise will become famous soon enoughjanlouise will become famous soon enough

Just off the top of my head from the Melbourne perspective, they have lots of different bakerys in Melbourne. There is a French one and a Dutch one I have been to. There are also Italian and Greek ones, and I assume many more. If you are after a more multicultural experience, and would like to expand your knowledge base, then this would be something to consider.

I have only been to Perth once on a Uni trip, and we didn't do bakerys then, so I can't speak for Perth, sorry.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Try a few of these links

http://www.chefjobs.com.au/

http://www.careerjet.com.au/search/jobs?s=pastry&l=

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.