Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Interesting....less cons for Perth but they seem more valid if you know what I mean. Any particular reason for the move back to Melbourne?
I was working there so I have a few friends in the city. Plus I fell in love with the city, there is a vibe in the city that I like.

I never felt quite safe in Perth, once the sun goes down it can turn nasty.

I only arrived in the city and I was warned about the main train station, I took awalk a 3am because i couldn't sleep and I spotted the teenage gangs on the walkways.

I also saw Asian kids being attacked at 9pm in Northbridge

A 3 am walk in Melbourne and most locals consider me to be the "dangerous element."

Queen St and the CBD can be rough as well but there are police patrols at least.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by mulben
I have lived in both , more of a difference than pros and cons to my mind.
Perth
As some above have said its warmer
Better planning to a degree ( desal water 1st in Aust.Only passenger rail built in last 10 years)
NO ROAD TOLLS
Good roads (where I live anyway )

Melbourne
Better rail and tram connections
Better Airport
Climate of four seasons -more European
Better / best cafe culture in Aust. -eating out etc
Has real newspapers

They both have heat waves
food is similar- price
Housing will set you back in both

So is there a particular reason why you chose to live in Perth?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Originally Posted by GarryP
Perth has lots of sunny days, sunsets over the sea
Melbourne also has both of those.

Buzzy
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:37 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Melbourne also has both of those.

Buzzy
Perth: 8.1hrs sunshine per day on average
Melbourne: 5.7hrs sunshine per day on average
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne and Perth pros and cons please :)

Originally Posted by GarryP
Perth: 8.1hrs sunshine per day on average
Melbourne: 5.7hrs sunshine per day on average
mmm you'll fit in very well in Australia. Australians love to have statistics quoted at them.

Buzzy
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:03 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Perth I honestly found boring as a youngish bloke, no life in the week and everywhere seems to go to sleep at about 8 in the evening...good beaches though....lots of flies...expensive....never been to Melbourne
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If one more person says that Melbourne has 4 seasons in one day, I cannot hold myself accountable for my actions....

All that happens is that a change comes through and it is universally welocmed, or a day that is cool and overcast gets sunny and hot by it's end....
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If one more person says that Melbourne has 4 seasons in one day, I cannot hold myself accountable for my actions....

All that happens is that a change comes through and it is universally welocmed, or a day that is cool and overcast gets sunny and hot by it's end....
Couldn't agree more!! At present with 40oC forecast today, after 43oC yesterday - I can't wait for the cool change to arrive bringing the temp down to low or mid twenties and if it's accompanied by a shower, the girls will love it. That's a big difference here (than the UK) the girls run out, dance in the rain and celebrate it
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:29 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Crow
Couldn't agree more!! At present with 40oC forecast today, after 43oC yesterday - I can't wait for the cool change to arrive bringing the temp down to low or mid twenties and if it's accompanied by a shower, the girls will love it. That's a big difference here (than the UK) the girls run out, dance in the rain and celebrate it
I feel for you 35c and I was done......40c + I can only imagine
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

So is there a particular reason why you chose to live in Perth?
At the time it was the cheapest coastal housing, warmer and good job prospects.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

On four seasons I meant Melbourne has actual seasons, Perth sort of fades from summer to winter
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leedelta
I was working there so I have a few friends in the city. Plus I fell in love with the city, there is a vibe in the city that I like.

I never felt quite safe in Perth, once the sun goes down it can turn nasty.

I only arrived in the city and I was warned about the main train station, I took awalk a 3am because i couldn't sleep and I spotted the teenage gangs on the walkways.

I also saw Asian kids being attacked at 9pm in Northbridge

A 3 am walk in Melbourne and most locals consider me to be the "dangerous element."

Queen St and the CBD can be rough as well but there are police patrols at least.
I must admit I agree about not feeling safe in Perth at night and about the gangs hanging around the train stations.I have only been here just over two years and it seems to have changed for the worse.

Graffiti and broken glass.Drink and drug problems.

Spring and autumn are lovely in Perth.The beaches are very natural and I find the people friendly.Sue.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Cant comment on Melbourne as we moved to Perth from Sydney. The things i like:
Long hot summer days and weekends on the beach.
Its very clean
Good public transport

Things i dont like:
It bloody expensive
Its remote
The shopping hours and general backward views
Racism
The wind - it is one of the windiest cities in the world
The people. We had people telling us how friendly the people of WA are before we left Sydney. Well i am assuming they had never actually been.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leedelta
I

Melbourne

Pros

Culture & Festivals
Perth has the International Arts Festival http://www.perthfestival.com.au/
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

One question I forgot to ask for those of you who've lived in either place with children, which is the most family oriented place or better for children?
For some reason I've always got that impression from Perth but I'm not exactly sure why
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

One question I forgot to ask for those of you who've lived in either place with children, which is the most family oriented place or better for children?
For some reason I've always got that impression from Perth but I'm not exactly sure why
Depends where you go. Both places will have good and bad. The slower pace of life in Perth makes it seem a no-brainer - on paper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.