Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the lowdown on the bugs

the lowdown on the bugs

Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future
Default Re: the lowdown on the bugs

We have been here 4 years now. Seen about 12 snakes - 1 every 4 months - only 1 venomous. Lot's of spiders but only one group of redbacks that were in any way dangerous. It really is amazing how quick you get accustomed to the bugs.

What I can't get accustomed to is flies. Most of the time they are no problem, this week after storms and humid conditions there everywhere. Thankfully, they will only be around for a few days and then it's back to paradise.

Mike.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:39 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Sorry ... ... altho must admit I didn't hang around to take a pic of the 2" cockroach I just see scattering around the kitchen!

(honest!)

Trust me, you'll be fine! ... NONE of these creatures have any interest in you. They say if a Redback was to crawl over you in your sleep, it WON'T bite you on it's way over, it'll just pass.

They'll ONLY bite if YOU give them reason to!

A can of this might be reason tho:

http://www.elgeka-ferfelis.ro/poze/B...%20Mortein.jpg

I'm off to bed but if I don't post again, I might be wrong about the Redback ...
I need as many cans of that stuff as poss i can tell you but judging by your sense of humour thats the bloody spray that attracts them Gd its a good job i can laugh at things and myself eh would be quite good to meet up with you if you in brizzy? i think we'd get on well

If its ok with you can i pm you when we get there??

Cheers for the laughs

clair
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, they are terrible out here, always having to fight them off when you go to bed
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-storyspider.jpg  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba
I need as many cans of that stuff as poss i can tell you but judging by your sense of humour thats the bloody spray that attracts them Gd its a good job i can laugh at things and myself eh would be quite good to meet up with you if you in brizzy? i think we'd get on well

If its ok with you can i pm you when we get there??

Cheers for the laughs

clair
Naah they don't like that Mortein at all! ... and altho not used it yet, they do an outdoor version which must be stronger. I'd like a small 'pocket' version to carry around with you as like someone else said the fly's can be more agg at the mo. We was outside in a cafe yesterday and these bloody 2 flies were playing 'chase' with each other round our table as we waited for our meals. I soooo wanted to ruin their fun and pop one off! ...

I'm 45 mins down the road from Brisbane at the Gold Coast but by all means pm us when you're here for a meet ... To be honest BE always have 'meet ups' both in Brisbane and the Gold Coast so don't worry about meeting up with fellow expats, it won't be long after you arrive that another will be arranged ...

Originally Posted by chrispy
Yup, they are terrible out here, always having to fight them off when you go to bed
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:10 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Don't see hardly any spiders here...there was an orb spider that seemed to like a spot between two trees outside but left probably cos OH was always going outside shining a torch in it's face.
What annoys me is all the ants, little tiny ones, green ones, black ones....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:23 am
Banned

randomdelusion will become famous soon enoughrandomdelusion will become famous soon enough

Been here a long time and so far have had the cat bring in ;

a snake (grass snake)
4 birds
3 mice
uncountable cockroaches

(not all at once)

Have also had red backs in next doors back garden and funnel webs in ours, have had tarantulas in the house quite often, had a huge tarantula sitting on the doorknob when we came home late from the pub (quite freaked us out). We have a light pole in the front garden and spiders make huge webs from it to the front door so whenever we exit or enter there is a chance of getting webfaced and spiderheaded.

My own worst experience was getting out of the shower, grabbing my towel and finding a huge tarantula lodged in the towel which jumped on me and ran over me while i was naked, I screamed like a girl and ran from the bathroom to everyones amusement doing the spiderdance of fear.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=suzanne7575;5738146]I'm afraid i've got to ask as it is something hubby keeps bringing up. His main concern with emigrating to Oz is the spiders and snakes. I actually can't believe this is the only thing he is concerned abut cos I'm the one who hates spiders. I think he thiks we will get off the plane and have to walk over a carpet of spiders and snakes who are all going to kill us
QUOTE]

Have posted this here before but here goes. Just a harmless carpet python who sat on our bird feeder for 2 days at the end of our verandah. Didn't seem to mind us taking photos - with a zoom lense!!! They will bite if seriously pissed off but aren't poisonous.
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-100_0842.jpg  
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:09 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pominNoosa
Have posted this here before but here goes. Just a harmless carpet python who sat on our bird feeder for 2 days at the end of our verandah. Didn't seem to mind us taking photos - with a zoom lense!!! They will bite if seriously pissed off but aren't poisonous.
Awwwww ... I want a spider! ... NOT!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:33 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Naah they don't like that Mortein at all! ... and altho not used it yet, they do an outdoor version which must be stronger. I'd like a small 'pocket' version to carry around with you as like someone else said the fly's can be more agg at the mo. We was outside in a cafe yesterday and these bloody 2 flies were playing 'chase' with each other round our table as we waited for our meals. I soooo wanted to ruin their fun and pop one off! ...

I'm 45 mins down the road from Brisbane at the Gold Coast but by all means pm us when you're here for a meet ... To be honest BE always have 'meet ups' both in Brisbane and the Gold Coast so don't worry about meeting up with fellow expats, it won't be long after you arrive that another will be arranged ...

Hiya,

Thanks for all the info i'm sure i'll find it ok if what you say is true It would be great to meet up with some ep's just to give us a low down on everything, i'm sure you did the same I will just have to stay in touch with the website to find out anyway thanks for all your help and good humour
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:32 pm
I've agreed to go!

Mumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant futureMumof1 has a brilliant future

Cripes!!! That's it, I'm not going!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:36 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

I wanna 8 legged freaks to be on the film choice on our way over that surely would scare our kids shitless but by then it woud be too late.

HOHOHAHAHOHHAHAHAHAAAAARRRRR - Evil Laugh
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:45 pm
Bird

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
I wanna 8 legged freaks to be on the film choice on our way over that surely would scare our kids shitless but by then it woud be too late.

HOHOHAHAHOHHAHAHAHAAAAARRRRR - Evil Laugh
Mine would probably throw themselves off the plane bless them
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Seems like the bloody aussie bugs don't like the heat either, they are all coming in the house to cool down, had three spiders and a chuffin' great big cockroach to remove this morning, including a huntsman in the cats water bowl No wonder she is a nervous wreck!!
On a cuddlier note, had three possums round last night, they are quite social when they want to be.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:56 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You want to keep the true Aussie daddy long legs in your house as they will kill redbacks and huntsman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_long-legs_spider

Large huntsmans are fun. Its bad enough that they can reach plate size, but they can also run like the clappers