Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the lowdown on the bugs

the lowdown on the bugs

Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the lowdown on the bugs

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
the size of a CD

i have a cd here on my desk now and it's hard to imagine a spider that big.

you see stupidly i really fancy living in far north QLD, so I'm probably just lining myself up for some scary beasts aren't I????
That would be the leg span - I haven't seen them that big though.

The actual spider itself is not big.

I thought all these Strayan spiders would be like tarantulas etc- fat and hairy. Many are a lot smaller.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:26 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Yeah the bog roll one has done it's rounds. If you check the one on the toilet seat with newspaper it's the same spider, it's not actually a real pic ... really??? ...

Yeah I've lifted the toilet seat to see 3 once ...

No I didn't, just teasing! ... ... but I DO check to be on the safe side!

100% honest, apart from the few Redbacks recently (and until a few weeks ago not seen one!) I've seen prob 4 or 5 Hunstsmen in 22 months. We have a couple of little spiders floating about, but they're almost cute. Probably turn out to be the deadliest of em all! ...

Bix is further north than me so all his are prob real.
This posts remind me that I will start making my hubby put the toilet seat UP when we come back to Aussie!

I lived two years in Sydney and saw alot more spiders there than I did in the 2 years I spend in Cairns.

My worst exp. - I opened the door to a friend one night (in Sydney) and a spider was on the outside, so I slammed the door in my friends face (bad I know but I don't like the spiders much!) I then felt guilty, so I opened the door again and the bloody spider was coming over the top of the door and leaped off it towards me - I swear he was angry at me (the spider) and it started running towards me until I jumped on a chair. Lucky my friend saved me....Possibly the spider was scared and wasn't actually after me, but that's how it felt at the time!

But I don't recall seeing any bigger than a 20p in Cairns.
Same goes with snakes - only ever saw one as roadkill or in the Zoos....
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:43 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

Well its the ugliest daddy long legs i`ve ever seen lol.Next time i see one i`ll parcel it up and send it to use lmao
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:47 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Hey Bix do you hear the bones go when you step on them?

I remember the first I see (and the biggest) on the hallway wall when we came back from taking the dog for a walk one eve. I showed the dog it, he wasn't bothered! ... ... so Nic ran for the Mortein. I gave it a good ole spray and it just flew along the wall. I chased it again spraying it and it ended up in the garage and before it could run under the car, he got the foot!

I heard bones break and it wasn't mine! ...
Hey there

just read about your encounter with the horrid speicies and wondered where to get aything that will kill these bastards when they step foot inside your house or for that matter outside or anywhere near cos i am shitting myself!!!

Thanks
Clair
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The ones my missus hates are the little harmless ones that jump.
They don't crawl as such but have a very jerkey movement and when anything gets near them they literally jump away.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:29 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bix
They don't crawl as such but have a very jerkey movement and when anything gets near them they literally jump away.
I hate anyone of them trust me mate am soo scared even i dont believe me!!! The om is pretty laid back even though he dont like them either!! we make a pretty good pair eh!!!

They wont stop us tho we'll come over no matter what and if it gets too much wr'll just come on back again!! with our tails between our legs aaarrrggghhhh.............
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Know where you're coming from but within 12 months you'll look back and wonder what you were worried about.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:37 pm
Bird

Originally Posted by Bix
Know where you're coming from but within 12 months you'll look back and wonder what you were worried about.
God i hope you're right!! lts of people have said the same thing and that along the lines of if we were younger we woulod have done it ourselves!! it obviously proves that we among a lot of others are the bravest or not as we battle to overcome our fears of the tiny town!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:15 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba
Hey there

just read about your encounter with the horrid speicies and wondered where to get aything that will kill these bastards when they step foot inside your house or for that matter outside or anywhere near cos i am shitting myself!!!

Thanks
Clair
You get your house sprayed and this will stop most coming in. Our house is due for another spray and that's the only reason we've got this nest of Redbacks in at the mo.

Originally Posted by Bix
Oh they crack me up! As you say you've only got to go slightly close and they start hopping away ... quite funny I think.

Originally Posted by Bix
Exactly!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:12 pm
Bird

You get your house sprayed and this will stop most coming in. Our house is due for another spray and that's the only reason we've got this nest of Redbacks in at the mo.

Oh they crack me up! As you say you've only got to go slightly close and they start hopping away ... quite funny I think.

Exactly!
God i am soo glad you lot are sayng all this i can tell you it really is putting my mind at rest i cant thank you enough xxxxxxx
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:21 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to say it but we live in the middle of the Gold Coast and our house is like a zoo. Stacks of lizards, cane toads, frogs, huntsmen, possums ect and the odd redback.

About five months ago I parked on the drive and a tiger snake was making its way across the drive. It went straight past our front door. I actually found the whole experience quite liberating. My neighbour and I followed the snake with a broom out of the garden and the snake couldn't get away fast enough. It was totally disinterested.

So the point is, alot of people never see snakes. Some do. My neighbours have been here 25 years and never seen one. It took me two days, but they really aren't interested in humans. There are snakes all over the place but most Aussie snakes are not aggressive.

Paul.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by diddy
About five months ago I parked on the drive and a tiger was making its way across the drive.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Ok, today's offerings:

See these 2 this morning:

Redback on the right, dunno about the left but it to my untrained eye it looks harmless ...

This one I'd like to know what it is (the boy reckons a baby Huntsman but I take that with salt) as we have a few that run around. They don't bother at all as they look quite sweet, we say they're our pets ...lol, but I'm sure someone will tell me they're the deadliest of the lot! ...

Pic don't show size, but about the size of a penny.

Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:17 pm
Bird

Ok, today's offerings:

See these 2 this morning:

Redback on the right, dunno about the left but it to my untrained eye it looks harmless ...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...os/7875444.jpg

This one I'd like to know what it is (the boy reckons a baby Huntsman but I take that with salt) as we have a few that run around. They don't bother at all as they look quite sweet, we say they're our pets ...lol, but I'm sure someone will tell me they're the deadliest of the lot! ...

Pic don't show size, but about the size of a penny.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...os/3496544.jpg
You are not making this easy on me are you!!! I dont think they are cute at all they look better on the bottom of a shoe!!!!! This is the only that makes me want to change my mind!!! They are sooo scary looking, i dont know how you manage to take photos i really dont, i wouldn't be around long enough to get the camera out let alone take a photo!!! House sprayers beware you'll spend a lot of time in my house i can tell you... anyone got their number......
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba
You are not making this easy on me are you!!! I dont think they are cute at all they look better on the bottom of a shoe!!!!! This is the only that makes me want to change my mind!!! They are sooo scary looking, i dont know how you manage to take photos i really dont, i wouldn't be around long enough to get the camera out let alone take a photo!!! House sprayers beware you'll spend a lot of time in my house i can tell you... anyone got their number......

Sorry ... ... altho must admit I didn't hang around to take a pic of the 2" cockroach I just see scattering around the kitchen!

(honest!)

Trust me, you'll be fine! ... NONE of these creatures have any interest in you. They say if a Redback was to crawl over you in your sleep, it WON'T bite you on it's way over, it'll just pass.

They'll ONLY bite if YOU give them reason to!

A can of this might be reason tho:

I'm off to bed but if I don't post again, I might be wrong about the Redback ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.