Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the lowdown on the bugs

the lowdown on the bugs

Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default the lowdown on the bugs

I'm afraid i've got to ask as it is something hubby keeps bringing up. His main concern with emigrating to Oz is the spiders and snakes. I actually can't believe this is the only thing he is concerned abut cos I'm the one who hates spiders. I think he thiks we will get off the plane and have to walk over a carpet of spiders and snakes who are all going to kill us

I understand Oz does have the most species of poisonous snakes and spiders in the world and the most deadly but honestly it can't be that bad or else no-one would live there.

Please warn me if you are going to add huge piccies please
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:17 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice
Default Re: the lowdown on the bugs

I felt the same until we visited
We didnt see any snakes (except for in the zoo) and only one spider which turned out to be a harmless Orb weaver and it wasnt that big, we just freaked cos it was a spider
My friend who lived in Oz all her childhood recollects seeing one spider in the house, she lived close to the bush and spent hours playing in there. I don't think they are as common as we think, especially in the city areas.
Now watch, everyone will come on with their horror stories and scare the s**t out of us both
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:21 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
I'm afraid i've got to ask as it is something hubby keeps bringing up. His main concern with emigrating to Oz is the spiders and snakes. I actually can't believe this is the only thing he is concerned abut cos I'm the one who hates spiders. I think he thiks we will get off the plane and have to walk over a carpet of spiders and snakes who are all going to kill us

I understand Oz does have the most species of poisonous snakes and spiders in the world and the most deadly but honestly it can't be that bad or else no-one would live there.

Been here 22 months, never seen a snake but do see spiders a bit. We get Huntsmen which ARE big (size of a CD is the biggest) but they're your friends as they take care of cockroaches ... ... and currently have a nest of Redbacks (smaller than a 10p) somewhere as have seen a few recently, yes indoors! ...

Saying that, last time someone died from a Redback is 1821 ...

More chance of getting run over by a hoon than dying from a spider!

That's it for us!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
Now watch, everyone will come on with their horror stories and scare the s**t out of us both
I have REAL life pics if you want?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I felt the same until we visited
We didnt see any snakes (except for in the zoo) and only one spider which turned out to be a harmless Orb weaver and it wasnt that big, we just freaked cos it was a spider
My friend who lived in Oz all her childhood recollects seeing one spider in the house, she lived close to the bush and spent hours playing in there. I don't think they are as common as we think, especially in the city areas.
I live near the beach in Sydney. Been here for 29 years. We wouldn't even get one huntsman a year. I've never seen a whitetail or a funnelweb. I have seen a couple of redbacks but never indoors. There haven't been snakes around here for about 100 years (since the first houses were built).

Of course if you want to live in sub-tropical Brisbane, or in Perth amongst the sanddunes, or in the furthest reaches of suburbia anywhere that backs onto bushland then the chances are you'd get rather more wildlife than I do.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:27 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

oh yeah, another thing, whilst over there we saw spider spray in the supermarkets, i'm planning on spraying all the kids outdoor toys and furniture with it just to be on the safe side
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Been here 22 months, never seen a snake but do see spiders a bit. We get Huntsmen which ARE big (size of a CD is the biggest) but they're your friends as they take care of cockroaches ... ... and currently have a nest of Redbacks (smaller than a 10p) somewhere as have seen a few recently, yes indoors! ...

That's it for us!
the size of a CD

i have a cd here on my desk now and it's hard to imagine a spider that big.

you see stupidly i really fancy living in far north QLD, so I'm probably just lining myself up for some scary beasts aren't I????
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

I have REAL life pics if you want?
go on then! desensitisation and all that
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:32 am
Aussie wannabe!!

That's it for us!
nest of redbacks
we were told whilst we were there not to worry about huntsmen aswell but i still wouldnt fancy meeting one, they look soooo scary
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:38 am
Account Closed

oh yeah, another thing, whilst over there we saw spider spray in the supermarkets, i'm planning on spraying all the kids outdoor toys and furniture with it just to be on the safe side
I wouldn't bother, the Huntsmen laugh at me when I get out the spray! ...

(WARNING! ... PICS TO FOLLOW!!!)

>

>

>

>

>

>

A Redback in my house recently:

And a small Huntsman:

Can you see how he's winking at me? ...

Seriously, it's all part of the package and NO ONE in this household likes em but ARE getting used to seeing the odd one here and there.

They aint that bad ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

go on then! desensitisation and all that
This aint a hairnet !!!!!

Every bloody tree here is covered with webs.....and what lives in webs ?

Well, perhaps I exagerate a little.....this was in a zoo
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-100_1517.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:43 am
Account Closed

nest of redbacks
Yeah seen 4 or 5 in the last few weeks. Phoned rental agent and they said they've had a few complaints and put it down to the rain, they apparently come inside to get out of it!

To be honest the Redbacks just sit in corners up in the ceiling, don't move till you spray them or whatever, but the Huntsmen move bloody quick and the spray don't seem to do much. they DO say they'll look after all the other little nasties, and to leave em alone ... ... but sorry to all nature lovers but they get it!

ALTHO! ... the one next to the ciggies I threw out the door rather than giving the foot treatment ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
This aint a hairnet !!!!!
I'm sure Ena Sharples used to wear one of them!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

This little chap made it's home right outside my donger.
Had to remember he was there when I got back in the evening in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-17-1-05-108-800-x-694-.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

A visit to Lake Barrine on the Tablelands and what was in the public loo ?
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-100_1350-800-x-772-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.