Reload this Page >

the lowdown on the bugs

the lowdown on the bugs

Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the lowdown on the bugs

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
okay suitably freaked by the one on the bog roll. Is it true that they live under the toilet seat and bite you on the bum when you go for a pee in the night?????
Yeah the bog roll one has done it's rounds. If you check the one on the toilet seat with newspaper it's the same spider, it's not actually a real pic ... really??? ...

Yeah I've lifted the toilet seat to see 3 once ...

No I didn't, just teasing! ... ... but I DO check to be on the safe side!

100% honest, apart from the few Redbacks recently (and until a few weeks ago not seen one!) I've seen prob 4 or 5 Hunstsmen in 22 months. We have a couple of little spiders floating about, but they're almost cute. Probably turn out to be the deadliest of em all! ...

Bix is further north than me so all his are prob real.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Bix is further north than me so all his are prob real.
Yeah, they are all real life experiences.

Spiders aren't a big problem though and I've not seen a snake yet in over 3 years in the tropics.

I had a bit of a phobia about insects before coming here but have now learnt to live with them.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't generally kill them any more Paul.
Yeah the one next to the ciggies was the first I've let loose, the rest got the foot as I say. Altho thinking about it now I remember throwing it out the door and it ran back to the house so I gave it one spray of Mortein and it ran in the opposite direction ... laughing at me admittedly ...

I'll try to do the same with any in the future! ...

Originally Posted by Bix
I had a bit of a phobia about insects before coming here but have now learnt to live with them.
I think you have to! My daughter is terrified of them but she'll come round in the long run I reckon.

Either that or keep bloody screaming when she see's one! ... and the scream is worse than the spider ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Hey Bix do you hear the bones go when you step on them?

I remember the first I see (and the biggest) on the hallway wall when we came back from taking the dog for a walk one eve. I showed the dog it, he wasn't bothered! ... ... so Nic ran for the Mortein. I gave it a good ole spray and it just flew along the wall. I chased it again spraying it and it ended up in the garage and before it could run under the car, he got the foot!

I heard bones break and it wasn't mine! ...
Don't worry! Spiders don't have bones! You probably heard the legs and body popping, a bit like balloons!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Don't worry! Spiders don't have bones! You probably heard the legs and body popping, a bit like balloons!
I think he / she was more worried! ... ... but cheers for the explanation.

I've had to use the foot on a couple of bigger ones and I KNOW I heard sommit break, or pop as you put it.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:49 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

I hope use see this pic not to sure how to upload We found this guy in are bedroom one nyt i ain`t afraid of spiders but i was that nyt A nice big hairy huntsman
Attached Images  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by irishfamily
I hope use see this pic not to sure how to upload We found this guy in are bedroom one nyt i ain`t afraid of spiders but i was that nyt A nice big hairy huntsman
Bah! ... that's a Daddy Long Legs!

Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
the size of a CD

i have a cd here on my desk now and it's hard to imagine a spider that big.

you see stupidly i really fancy living in far north QLD, so I'm probably just lining myself up for some scary beasts aren't I????

Not quite the size of a CD but heres one. We have had a bigger hairier one in the lounge but didnt get to take a photo as our puppy wanted to play with it. I wouldnt worry too much about spiders as you get used to them I had a massive phobia about any spider no metter how small in the UK and was so scared Iwould panic and really freak out, coming here has made me overcome my fear.

Marie....Ps I still wont touch them mind, hubbie does the catching part
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-spider-jug.jpg   the lowdown on the bugs-cd-spider.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Snapped this one in New Farm park, Brisbane, while walking home a wee bit tipsy on Boxing Day.....think it's a pretty impressive example of a Golden Orb - probably wouldn't have been able to get quite this close without the Dutch courage!
Attached Thumbnails the lowdown on the bugs-orb.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Nice pics! ...
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi thought I would add, I took the children to Hungry Jacks last week and they came running in to tell me that there was a spider with an orange back in the play area - right so off I went to investigate and yes you've guessed correctly - it was a redback! Off I went to tell the staff - their response, some spotty sixteen year old came out shrugged his shoulders, took his shoe off and walloped it!
No Mortein in sight!
Lindsey
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We've had our fair share of redbacks and huntsmans in the house but they're nothing compared to the scorpion that was running round the house this week
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:00 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
This aint a hairnet !!!!!

Every bloody tree here is covered with webs.....and what lives in webs ?

Well, perhaps I exagerate a little.....this was in a zoo
Excuse me while I vomit
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi thought I would add, I took the children to Hungry Jacks last week and they came running in to tell me that there was a spider with an orange back in the play area - right so off I went to investigate and yes you've guessed correctly - it was a redback! Off I went to tell the staff - their response, some spotty sixteen year old came out shrugged his shoulders, took his shoe off and walloped it!
No Mortein in sight!
Lindsey
I must admit Mortein DOES finish them off easy, unlike ole mate the Huntsman!

Shoe works first time tho with all!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:23 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

I must admit Mortein DOES finish them off easy, unlike ole mate the Huntsman!

Shoe works first time tho with all!
Hey over here in Tassie, I have actually seen Scorpions!!!!!
Seen a few Hunstman and like other people have said Spider Killers does not seem to work!!! I was thinking of trying hairspray!!!!
YOu get used to them and manage to live with them,
Good luck on your move!!!!
Gary and Vikky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.