Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Visa holders and buying property in WA

457 Visa holders and buying property in WA

Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

cheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant future
Default 457 Visa holders and buying property in WA

Hi All,

We are in Perth on a 457 visa and to help us settle in we would like to buy a home to call our own.

Not being PR I know that we arent entitled to the first time buyers grant but can we still benefit from not paying stamp duty on a house that is less than 500k?

Any one know?

Cheers,

Cheekymoo
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:08 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: 457 Visa holders and buying property in WA

Originally Posted by cheekymoo
Hi All,

We are in Perth on a 457 visa and to help us settle in we would like to buy a home to call our own.

Not being PR I know that we arent entitled to the first time buyers grant but can we still benefit from not paying stamp duty on a house that is less than 500k?

Any one know?

Cheers,

Cheekymoo
I thought that the Stamp duty applied on almost all house values, not just on those greater than $500K.

We bought land in Perth in Dec2006 which was significantly below $500K and we had to pay stamp duty. However it could be different in each state.

Regards

Allan
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, just wanted to make sure you knew to get permission from the Foreign Investment Revivew Board (FIRB) before you buy.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:52 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

all i know is stamp duty is for houses under $500 for first time buyers only

(recently bought in)

Not sure if that covers temp visa's or not

Try Pm'ing Julesandco as they are on business visa so temp to, Jules may have more info for you!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

cheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by allankate
I thought that the Stamp duty applied on almost all house values, not just on those greater than $500K.

We bought land in Perth in Dec2006 which was significantly below $500K and we had to pay stamp duty. However it could be different in each state.

Regards

Allan
Thanks Allan, kinda thought that but before we take the leap I thought that I would ask that.

If only there was a document that held all of this useful information for us newbies.

I see from your profile that you are in Secret Harbour or heading towards it?
We have a rental property there and its paradise

Cheers,
Ann
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AHamm
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, just wanted to make sure you knew to get permission from the Foreign Investment Revivew Board (FIRB) before you buy.
Thanks AHamm, if and when we make an offer on the house I have been told to include subject to survey, finance, termite inspection and FIRB approval. Nothing is straightforward in australia... but all of it necessary I would expect?

Ann
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:48 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Any one know?

Cheers,

Cheekymoo
As a temp visa holder you get nadda, zip, zilch. No stamp duty concessions, no first time buyers grant.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:11 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

I see from your profile that you are in Secret Harbour or heading towards it?
We have a rental property there and its paradise

Cheers,
Ann
Hi Ann, yeah we went on a reccie back in Aug 06 and came back with some land in Secret Harbour, hoping for our visa any day now and the house build starts next month. Glad you like SH gives us some reassurance that what we're doing is the right thing. Where you looking at buying?

Allan
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by allankate
Hi Ann, yeah we went on a reccie back in Aug 06 and came back with some land in Secret Harbour, hoping for our visa any day now and the house build starts next month. Glad you like SH gives us some reassurance that what we're doing is the right thing. Where you looking at buying?

Allan
Looking at Golden Bay at the moment but will be staying in SH area as our Daughter of 14yrs attends Comet Bay College. I work in the city so I have a trek day and night but to come home to Secret Harbour is just amazing - you leave the biz of the city behind and land at the beach and a beautiful suburb.

My only concern is that the new builds take up all of the land and very little is left for the garden - we are looking at older properties that have smaller houses but much more land to enjoy. May have to put the plan on hold as we dont qualify for not paying stamp duty or first time buyers bonus and collectively this would amount to $22k - the price of a very nice swimming pool.
Need to stay in rental until we can apply for residency then house hunt. No worries though as we arent going back. no way!!!

Ann