Wikiposts

fed up with uk

Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:32 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: fed up with uk

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Medicare is federal, I can't understand why health and education aren't also.
Infact I'd be in favour of getting rid of state govts altogether, but leaving the senate in place. Either that or leaving them just with what should be state matters and having core issues handled by feds, but with some safeguards set in place so that standard of living for middle and lower income people can't be eroded any further.

Proportional representation could also be a better model to work with than the current preferrential voting system.
Having a standard education system with a common curriculum, starting age, uni entrance requirements would be excellent. For the teachers a national qualification and points system would help.

I would rather see some anti-pork barrelling legislation before the federal level takes on too much more. 1/20th of the pre election regional grants went to non coalition seats. A national roads authority would make sense.

The main problem with centralising too much is the powers that be become too disconnected from the reality on the ground. If the bureacracy is on too large a scale you can lose the economies of scale.

What I like about the senate is the rationalising power it has on legislation. Sadly in a few months the coalition will have full control of the senate and that reasoning force will be lost.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:33 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
For those who say 'same shit, different country' I totally agree.

HOWEVER, Australia doesn't have President Blair

No, but we have deputy sheriff man of steel little Johnny Howard. Who has just after winning an election promising to keep healthcare costs down has increased the "safety net" amount which basically means that low-income families using the public health system are worse off.

And regarding your other point about "spin", the Australian government played this down by saying that it was a "non-core" election promise - whatever that is.

NJJ
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:36 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Unfortunately that's the problem with politics, there is no answer!

Everyone wants as much as possible, but wants to pay as least as possible for it, and then complain that the people in charge can't give them the impossible.

I saw Peter Costello on TV last night. He answered loads of questions extremely well, and all very calmly, without actually giving an answer on anything

Anyway, back to the original point As BAY said; "all politicians are iffy"
Agreed. I also agree that there is no perfect answer. I do beleive that a clearer division of responsibilities would help in Oz. (I'm not saying this has been achieved in the UK.)

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:36 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge

I find Australian polly's speech easier on the ear, not quite so arrogant, A Pommy polly would get all agitated and just get louder and more obtuse.

Badge

hang on a minute here - I though you lived in Victoria too. Have you not found that grupenfuhrer Bracks is one of the most arrogant politicians you have ever seen??

NJJ
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by NJJ
No, but we have deputy sheriff man of steel little Johnny Howard. Who has just after winning an election promising to keep healthcare costs down has increased the "safety net" amount which basically means that low-income families using the public health system are worse off.

And regarding your other point about "spin", the Australian government played this down by saying that it was a "non-core" election promise - whatever that is.

NJJ
They forgot about not sending anymore troops to Iraq as well.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:40 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Megalania
Now she knew how to handle a hand-bag.

Yes - poor old Dennis!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by NJJ
Yes - poor old Dennis!!
Bring on the Gordons.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormz
eh? I don`t think they mentioned anything remotely racist in the post. I think you`re way off with a comment like that.

You really have to live somewhere to get an idea of what it`s like, is what the point is.

I lived in S.A. for 6 years, pre letting Mandela (terrorist) out. I also wouldn`t like to live there again, apartheid or no apartheid.

Thanks for clarifying. No racist comments intended at all! If anything I am the complete opposite, having grown up within apartheid it teaches you a lot about people.

I was merely stating that I have lived in another country and accept that each country is different.

Theresa
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:20 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Your choice Jim but i have little uns so must think of their best interests first. stability is of paramount improtance to them, NZ or Taz WOULD PROBABLY RANK HIGH 2nd and 3rd before i consider coming back to UK
mmm bit confused here Tasmania is part of Australia not a seperate country
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:41 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DagBoy
So ..... are you too young to remember Maggie Thatcher?

Cheers,

DagBoy
Yes I remember Maggie. Whats your point ?

I was talking about President Blair because he is our current PM. In doing so I am not pinning my political allegance to the Conservatives or any other party. I just happen to dislike him for the reasons I have already mentioned. There are many many Labour supporters who also dislike him.

It amuses me how people try to defend him by saying other politicans, past and present, do and say iffy things. Of course they do, I agree most politicians are iffy.

However, my main concern is with President Blair because he is our current PM and he is responsible for leading this country. And I don't like it

Although fed up with President Blair and the UK this is not my reason for going to Australia. I am going to Australia for the adventure and the experience of living in another country.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:52 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
That could be his Achilles heel

A.
woops

I can't even blame the
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:55 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwichild
state govt only affects those in that state and premiers from same party still don't all follow same line. Federal gov is where the real issues lie and that's the bloody liberals. Wait till they get the senate in July, all the lower income in OZ will be screwed. Gimme Blair anyday.
You can have him.

What about a swap, you send us some sunny days and we will send Blair, and throw in Brown as well, if you want
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
You can have him.

What about a swap, you send us some sunny days and we will send Blair, and throw in Brown as well, if you want
For that you have to have Howard and Tony Abbot as well.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:17 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
For that you have to have Howard and Tony Abbot as well.

I see bracks is in london at the moment too, at the expense of the Victorian tax payer no doubt. Perhaps this is why he couldn't afford that freeway - he'd have missed out on his holiday....
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not ALL Health is State controlled.
Hospitals are State
GP's are Federal

I feel that if it was just one government then things would get done better, and faster, as less time and effort would be spent by the pollies fighting each other, just for the sake of objecting.

And again with Education: Federal government is more involved with Private Education, whereas the States control "State" schools.
So that's another for my list:
Stamp Duty, State School Education and Hospitals are State Controlled.
That's what I love about you Aussies - "pollies" ?? I've been reading this, and Pollies has been going right over my head, now the pennies dropped and I'm laughing my head off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.