expensive

Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:40 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expensive

Originally Posted by dor34
Hi Joho,

Is the $235 health ins for a month? Thanks.

Dor X

Thats about right...we have health insurance for 3 at $188 with AHM. It is more expensive as I took the pregnancy cover option.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

yes health is per month.

To rent my house would probably be $400ish a week.

Actually we are mostly still with the ins companies we first got when we came over. NRMA and AMII are the most popular. I havent bothered shopping around. The only reason we went onto the new phone plan was to try to reduce our monthly phone bill as now our kids are older and have lots of friends.

Jo
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:51 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
Cheers for your open-ness it is refreshing!

Call me a clunt, mind my own business etc, to buy $700.00 aweek, why buy, when you can rent for $400.00 aweek?

$300.00 aweek spare to go out and get rat arsed or what ever?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

dor34 will become famous soon enough

yes health is per month.

Actually we are mostly still with the ins companies we first got when we came over. NRMA and AMII are the most popular. I havent bothered shopping around. The only reason we went onto the new phone plan was to try to reduce our monthly phone bill as now our kids are older and have lots of friends.

Jo
Wow, thats very expensive and I thought Ireland was expensive for health insurance! Do you think it is crucial to have private health insurance in Oz? I know the health system here is dire and that we really need to take out private insurance but I thought that Medicare was quite good? Thanks.

Dor X
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I hated renting, you were scared to death all the time. Houses with pools to rent are rare round here and I wanted my own home.

We will probably down size in the next 2 or 3 years as the kids leave the nest or are pushed.......

Jo
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Prob a bit off topic but...

I have a morgage of $240,000 and it was killing me until I used a good financial budgeting system. I worked out all my expenses, I mean everthing from car rego to council rates, included food, entertainment and even some savings, and a small amount to cover unexpected expenses every bill that I recieve, then broke them all down into fortnightly payments (around $1650.00), got a bopo card (debit visa card) and paid that amount into it. Its worked out great, when a bill comes in I have the cash there ready for it, no lump sum coming out of my pay packet causing me to struggle for the next week. I highly recommend this system, it saved my bacon!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brendarover
Watch me get hung, drawn, and quartered, but here goes;

My guess, is 2010,2011,2012, things could be different, its two, or three, maybe up to four years away? By then, the exchange rate could be in the future migrants favour, which will help out a great deal, anything 2.5 upwards is about what i would expect, and require to make the exchange.

By then also, this boom in Australia may have ended, banks may have awoken to stupid lending practices, so tightened up lending muiltiples in Australia, like what is happening here in the UK. This will kill off rising house prices, could even bring them back down to earth, because lets not kid ourselves, to borrow 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 times the amount you earn yearly is pure and utter stupidity, just to buy a home, i say home, not an investment.

So with a better exchange rate and a correction in the amount you need to borrow to buy a home, along with so; throw in some needed wage inflation, but obviously lending rates may be high also.

But myself, i would rather borrow $200,000.00 at 16%, unlike now where you have to borrow $400,000.00 at 8%?

But we will see, at least with the PR visa, you have five years to wait and see. Get the visa, validate, and pick the time which suits you?

The sun and change of lifestyle is lovely, but it does not pay the bills and feed and clothe the kids, because at the end of the day, money is not everything, but when you ain't got it, no one else will give it to you?
Im with you guys on this one.

This week has seen a big shift towards my thinking on Ozz

I like to move forward in life, sun shine or no sun shine.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:01 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is alot of threads about health insurance and this is my opinion , having spent the last 10 months working in and around the public and private hosps in melbourne, the docs are ripping the health insurance companys off.

I am happy to be penalised at the tax year than have private health insurance, which by my calculations i will pay a levy of $500 which is still less than the cheapest health insurance which i worked out at $100 per month. Was talking to a patient with health insurance the other day, and he said it depends on what your are attending the doctor with , whether or not to declare you have private health insurance as most aussies at present cannot afford the 'extras' on the health insurance.

From what ave seen , i'll take my chances, i would much rather feel 'safe', in a public hosp, than 'unsafe' in a private one, but it has a nice carpet.

I think it would be wiser if you were on a budget to take out insurance against 'loss of earnings', to cover unforeseeable illness

However, i am lucky that i came without any medical or other illness's, if i were coming to aus with a known medical or other problem , then it may be wise to get private health insurance, every individual has differnt needs from health care and should consider them,

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 1st 2008 at 4:09 am.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brendarover
Cheers for your open-ness it is refreshing!

Call me a clunt, mind my own business etc, to buy $700.00 aweek, why buy, when you can rent for $400.00 aweek?

$300.00 aweek spare to go out and get rat arsed or what ever?
lol, most people see it as an investment, we cant afford to buy and rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house in a nice suburb with excellent state schools at $320 per week (our mortgage in scotland was £240.00 per month), admitadly it looks like a 70's pad, lol, we have also met the owners of the property and they are a lovely, lovely family, which was reassuring to us, as there can be issues with 'bonds' and owners.

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 1st 2008 at 4:10 am.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret3

However, i am lucky that i came without any medical or other illness's, if i were coming to aus with a known medical or other problem , then it may be wise to get private health insurance.
Me too then last Nov was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis out of the blue. You never know whats round the corner.

I have used my ins for plastic surgery making an $13000 op only cost me $3k, dental, optical, physio, chiro, accupuncture, non psb drugs that I need the list goes on.

I would deff have it if you have kids, but you can lower your cover . Personal opinion.

Jo

Jo
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lol, most people see it as an investment, we cant afford to buy and rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house in a nice suburb with excellent state schools at $320 per week (our mortgage in scotland was £240.00 per month), admitadly it looks like a 70's pad, lol, we have also met the owners of the property and they are a lovely, lovely family, which was reassuring to us, as there can be issues with 'bonds' and owners.
We are lucky and can afford it, my hubby earns a good wage which we have covered for allsorts. I earn too and my 2 eldest are about to embark on careers, one had his first wage pack this week and between them will be paying keep.

Jo
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Me too then last Nov was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis out of the blue. You never know whats round the corner.

I have used my ins for plastic surgery making an $13000 op only cost me $3k, dental, optical, physio, chiro, accupuncture, non psb drugs that I need the list goes on.

I would deff have it if you have kids, but you can lower your cover . Personal opinion.

Jo

Jo

sorry to hear that jo!!

the patient i was talking to was diagnosed with prostate cancer and denied he had private health insurance coz he said he would have had to make up the 'differnce' and couldn't afford it, therefore he got it done in the public sector at no cost its madness the health care system here, however i here that a large private health company is starting to investigate some areas of the health care here.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:24 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd the more i read my own 'expensive' thread the more expensive Aus seems to get

Lee

Last edited by stuckinblighty; Mar 1st 2008 at 4:42 am.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Gawd the more i read my own thread the more expensive Aus seems to get

Lee

it is expensive lee, but if we're surviving here, then anyone can

it also depends what you want from oz, my friend here, moved from England for the sake of her teenagers, ....long story...... she is a single mum, earning $15 per hr, and she's surviving, both her teens are now thriving and the eldest has just started uni, and believe me my friend has no 'hidden' savings for this, so if they can do it, why cant you!!

She says she is much better off than she was in england as its easier for her to get a job, and cheaper for her to have a night out.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:46 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

it is expensive lee, but if we're surviving here, then anyone can

it also depends what you want from oz, my friend here, moved from England for the sake of her teenagers, ....long story...... she is a single mum, earning $15 per hr, and she's surviving, both her teens are now thriving and the eldest has just started uni, and believe me my friend has no 'hidden' savings for this, so if they can do it, why cant you!!

She says she is much better off than she was in england as its easier for her to get a job, and cheaper for her to have a night out.
I just wanted to move somewhere where i could sit in the garden for a few nights of the year with a beer in hand but it seems that its gonna cost me an arm and a leg Margaret

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.