expensive

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

jackie-nick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: expensive

Hi,
After reading all the threads on here today me and my husband have come down to earth and realise that we may be committing financial suicide if we move to Oz. We are about to apply for our visa with the intention of moving 2010.2011.
Hubby is a diesel fitter, which I know is in demand but unless he works in the mines his salary will be considerably lower. We'd hopefully come with £30-40K from the sell of our house but could only afford around $350k, looking in Brisbane, Bayside area. The mortgage on this would be high with 8% interest rates at the mo, and not so good exchange rate. What with the cost of living the same as UK, we really would be stuffed. I would work but we,d also have child care costs.
A friend of our is moving to Wellington Point in the summer a single mum with 2 kids, she hoping to buy with pool etc and is a hair dresser. I not aware she has any finances behind, I may be wrong......but how will she do it???????
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:00 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie-nick
Hi,
After reading all the threads on here today me and my husband have come down to earth and realise that we may be committing financial suicide if we move to Oz. We are about to apply for our visa with the intention of moving 2010.2011.
Hubby is a diesel fitter, which I know is in demand but unless he works in the mines his salary will be considerably lower. We'd hopefully come with £30-40K from the sell of our house but could only afford around $350k, looking in Brisbane, Bayside area. The mortgage on this would be high with 8% interest rates at the mo, and not so good exchange rate. What with the cost of living the same as UK, we really would be stuffed. I would work but we,d also have child care costs.
A friend of our is moving to Wellington Point in the summer a single mum with 2 kids, she hoping to buy with pool etc and is a hair dresser. I not aware she has any finances behind, I may be wrong......but how will she do it???????
I often ask the same question
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:26 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Watch me get hung, drawn, and quartered, but here goes;

My guess, is 2010,2011,2012, things could be different, its two, or three, maybe up to four years away? By then, the exchange rate could be in the future migrants favour, which will help out a great deal, anything 2.5 upwards is about what i would expect, and require to make the exchange.

By then also, this boom in Australia may have ended, banks may have awoken to stupid lending practices, so tightened up lending muiltiples in Australia, like what is happening here in the UK. This will kill off rising house prices, could even bring them back down to earth, because lets not kid ourselves, to borrow 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 times the amount you earn yearly is pure and utter stupidity, just to buy a home, i say home, not an investment.

So with a better exchange rate and a correction in the amount you need to borrow to buy a home, along with so; throw in some needed wage inflation, but obviously lending rates may be high also.

But myself, i would rather borrow $200,000.00 at 16%, unlike now where you have to borrow $400,000.00 at 8%?

But we will see, at least with the PR visa, you have five years to wait and see. Get the visa, validate, and pick the time which suits you?

The sun and change of lifestyle is lovely, but it does not pay the bills and feed and clothe the kids, because at the end of the day, money is not everything, but when you ain't got it, no one else will give it to you?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

jackie-nick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brendarover
Watch me get hung, drawn, and quartered, but here goes;

My guess, is 2010,2011,2012, things could be different, its two, or three, maybe up to four years away? By then, the exchange rate could be in the future migrants favour, which will help out a great deal, anything 2.5 upwards is about what i would expect, and require to make the exchange.

By then also, this boom in Australia may have ended, banks may have awoken to stupid lending practices, so tightened up lending muiltiples in Australia, like what is happening here in the UK. This will kill off rising house prices, could even bring them back down to earth, because lets not kid ourselves, to borrow 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 times the amount you earn yearly is pure and utter stupidity, just to buy a home, i say home, not an investment.

So with a better exchange rate and a correction in the amount you need to borrow to buy a home, along with so; throw in some needed wage inflation, but obviously lending rates may be high also.

But myself, i would rather borrow $200,000.00 at 16%, unlike now where you have to borrow $400,000.00 at 8%?

But we will see, at least with the PR visa, you have five years to wait and see. Get the visa, validate, and pick the time which suits you?

The sun and change of lifestyle is lovely, but it does not pay the bills and feed and clothe the kids, because at the end of the day, money is not everything, but when you ain't got it, no one else will give it to you?
Yeah, you,re right.....apply and hope for the best. All we have lost if we decide not to go is the cost of the visa not everything.
Thanks.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

She can build herself up to quite a decent wicket. Not sure what hairdressers are on employed, but a friend of mine has her own salon and makes in the high $100ks.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It is a lot and I know I am in for a bollocking for Mr NB when he gets home as I always go mad when we have visitors. I don't take any other trips to the shops in the week though either. The fridge freezer outside is full of bread, rolls, milk etc that will last me the week.
I go mad when we have visitors too If we have a BBQ you can double my shopping bill (I don't have many )

Originally Posted by northernbird
$10 for a joint of beef, not over here it isn't. 2 bits of rump steak were $17. Leg of lamb $14, Chicken, $14. This week I did seem to need a lot of housey stuff, washing powder, fab softner almost $20 in those 2. $18 for pull ups for the little one. Toilet roll and kitchen roll another $10. Cereal for me and the husband this week was over $10. 4 loaves of bred, 3 packs of rolls, 4 jugs of milk. Talking almost $40 in those. It soon adds up.
Sounds like it's dearer over there! I got a chicken last week, not a massive one, and it cost me $6.45

Originally Posted by martin4414
Hi Mrs Martin here, we've been here 3 months now and i do find food shopping and toiletries more expensive than the uk. And we're just getting into the habit of paying for everything ie schooling, driving licences, sporting events (3 boys) and hospital visit. But on the whole i still wouldnt go back, its much more relaxing here. Back home my husband wouldnt be finishing work at 4pm and saying to the boys lets go to the beach, lets go fishing,play some football or tennis. He would come home at god knows what time and sit in front of the tele and turn into a zombie until bed time(thats no life for anybody). But i do miss my ASDA with its BOGOFs, who knows ASDA might come to oz as well.

ps, my boys love it here, they love their school, they've found new friends and new hobbies.

pps, So dont come out here thinking its going to be cheaper, its just a better way of life.

Hope this helps
LISA X
</IMG>
Hi Mrs Martin

Are you and your beloved coming along to our next meet? It's on Saturday 29th March in Semaphore. There's a link to the thread in my signature. It would be lovely to meet you
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:37 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wendy;6000894]I go mad when we have visitors too If we have a BBQ you can double my shopping bill (I don't have many )

I thought BBQ's were meant to be cheap?

PS Glad you like it!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy

I thought BBQ's were meant to be cheap?

PS Glad you like it!
They are?

We always go way overboard and there's always loads left (which I make my OH take to work for his lunches)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
She can build herself up to quite a decent wicket. Not sure what hairdressers are on employed, but a friend of mine has her own salon and makes in the high $100ks.
Since moving here 3 years ago I have noticed that things are beginning to move in the rigth direction. We have got an optus deal for $99 a month flat fee we get broadband wireless nternet with 20gb download, free local calls (a blessing with 3 teenagers 13,17.18) free std calls and the bonus free to optus mobiles which we all have. I pay $5 extra so that my calls to the uk are only 2.0cents a min. Straight away I have saved 70 on the broadband and seeing as my phone bill was $250 a month at least and a good $80 of that was to mobiles I think I will save masses, still waiting for 1st proper bill. Note if you decide to go for this offer too remember to ask for the $5 a month UK thing as I didnt for my first month and while I saved masses on the mobiles my UK calls were more expensive as I had negated my previous deal when switching and forgot to ask for it on the new one.

We have a much larger mortgage here because we have spent so much of our equity from the UK. We both have new cars one my hubby does on novated lease, and we are still financially better off each week for fun stuff.

My electric on a 5 bed house with pool and 2x aircon is $150 a month
no gas
mortgage is a crippling $3k a month on $410k but we do pay an extra $250 a month in that figure and the biggest bit is on a fixed 6,84 at the mo.
rates is about $110 a month cheaper than uk
car ins one car is $60 a month (other is part of the lease) about the same
house ins is $55 about the same
health ins $235 for a full cover family with HCF and have more than had my money back (cheaper than uk if you take into account 10%? nat ins)

tax breaks are better
9% auto into pension whoever you are (unless cash job of course)

For me the lifestyle is what is about and I no longer worry about the everyday costs compared to UK. If I can live my life comfortably and with a few treats on the way and my kids are happy then for me it was worth it. If I do use a comparison I use 2.45 the rate I got when we moved and I ignore the rates now as it really doesnt matter once you are here.

I have enjoyed this thread.

Jo
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:51 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
mortgage is a crippling $3k a month on $410k
Jeez what do you earn? $36k per year mortgage?

Rough guess 100%@9%? Fair flocks to yeh, me phew, that is alot of doh?

Out of interest, how much would it cost per month to rent an identical house to the one you are buying?

Last edited by brendarover; Feb 29th 2008 at 9:02 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Sorry mate cant help in rent respect but ,Expensive Australia
at the moment I think the Reserve bank of Australia have made a
mess of things nearly 10% at source for a home loan petrol going
through roof food prices rising and the economy going like a steam
train INFLATION PROBLEMS could end up like Zimbabwe at 300%
inflation Exchange rate is least of there worries just hope Kevin Rudd
dont make a speech like Paul keating did in a couple of years telling us
its the recession we need to have when interest rates were 17.5 %
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:17 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Is that per head?
No that is the lot....

Last night we went to a local restaurant/bar - we had bread, shared a started, a main each, shared a dessert, we took a bottle of champagne to celebrate our new house purchase and another bottle of wine as well - the total bill was $72, they had excellent service, white tablecothes, fill up your wine for you type of place -I left a bit of a tip as well.

Last Wed we went for a thai meal with another couple of expats (SimLizMax) where 4 adults had starters and mains, took our own wine - total bill wa about $100...

We took some british friends of ours to an italian/pizza place which has nice seating outdoors - had a couple of salads and proper italian pizza (damn yummy too) took our own wine - a pretty basic place but seats overlooking the beach out on the terrace.....total bill was less than $70 for $ adults....

And the suburb we live in is regarded as oneof the most expensive in NSW (outside of Sydney).

The week before we went to our favourite restaurant and payed $250 - but that was something we only do every few months!

You can easily eat out at decent prices! Well, we can - we do it every other night!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:20 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Great post.
Why thank you - I do my best to be articulate, despite my convict heritage!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:23 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Since moving here 3 years ago I have noticed that things are beginning to move in the rigth direction. We have got an optus deal for $99 a month flat fee we get broadband wireless nternet with 20gb download, free local calls (a blessing with 3 teenagers 13,17.18) free std calls and the bonus free to optus mobiles which we all have. I pay $5 extra so that my calls to the uk are only 2.0cents a min. Straight away I have saved 70 on the broadband and seeing as my phone bill was $250 a month at least and a good $80 of that was to mobiles I think I will save masses, still waiting for 1st proper bill. Note if you decide to go for this offer too remember to ask for the $5 a month UK thing as I didnt for my first month and while I saved masses on the mobiles my UK calls were more expensive as I had negated my previous deal when switching and forgot to ask for it on the new one.

We have a much larger mortgage here because we have spent so much of our equity from the UK. We both have new cars one my hubby does on novated lease, and we are still financially better off each week for fun stuff.

no gas
mortgage is a crippling $3k a month on $410k but we do pay an extra $250 a month in that figure and the biggest bit is on a fixed 6,84 at the mo.
health ins $235 for a full cover family with HCF and have more than had my money back (cheaper than uk if you take into account 10%? nat ins)

tax breaks are better

For me the lifestyle is what is about and I no longer worry about the everyday costs compared to UK. If I can live my life comfortably and with a few treats on the way and my kids are happy then for me it was worth it. If I do use a comparison I use 2.45 the rate I got when we moved and I ignore the rates now as it really doesnt matter once you are here.

Jo

Can I just say that it takes a while to sort out where to get good deals etc....when you first arrive you don't knmow the cheapest place to get insurance, or to shop, or what to buy from specialists caus they will do you a deal.

It takes even longer to work out the best phone, internet and elect deals.....

Over time, with a bit of research you can bring costs down dramatically by figuring out the best deals for you!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

dor34 will become famous soon enough

no gas

tax breaks are better

Jo
Hi Joho,

Is the $235 health ins for a month? Thanks.

Dor X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.