British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   expensive (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/expensive-517815/)

stuckinblighty Feb 28th 2008 10:56 am

expensive

Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment :ohmy:

Discuss ! ..........................

lee :blink:

The Flintstones Feb 28th 2008 11:03 am

Re: expensive

We'll be losing thousands in the £ to $ conversion and not much chance of being able to buy house either, which is a step back from our UK current situation. Still, can't wait to go :thumbsup:

tillysmum Feb 28th 2008 11:06 am

sure is expensive. Rentals have rocketed ours in nearly 50% of my 4 weekly salary:eek: and thats not being extravagant. they have gone up due to mortgage rate rise by nearly $40+ a week

stuckinblighty Feb 28th 2008 11:08 am

Originally Posted by The Flintstones (Post 5994114)
We'll be losing thousands in the £ to $ conversion and not much chance of being able to buy house either, which is a step back from our UK current situation. Still, can't wait to go :thumbsup:

i know what you mean.$400,000 is very nearly £200,000 and that buys you bugger all in melbourne anywhere near the CBD.£200,000 gets you alot more where i'm living at the moment in the UK.

tictac Feb 28th 2008 11:17 am

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 5994127)
$400,000 is very nearly £200,000 and that buys you bugger all in melbourne anywhere near the CBD.

Ditto Brisbane

verystormy Feb 28th 2008 11:53 am

Yeah, but you have to think what you would get in the UK espeicially London, you couldnt get a shed for £200k in central London. I live in Leicester in a small two up two down terrace in a very "iffy" area - red light district, and the going rent for my house is £150 per week or £140k to buy.
A decent one bedroom flat in central London isnt going to leave much change from half a million

Devlin Feb 28th 2008 12:02 pm

I have to say on my several visits to Melbourne in the last 3 years the cost of everyday items and even eating out is on par there with London (suburbs)...except if I lived in Melbourne I'd earn roughly 60% of what I do here!

paddyo Feb 28th 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 5994289)
Yeah, but you have to think what you would get in the UK espeicially London, you couldnt get a shed for £200k in central London. I live in Leicester in a small two up two down terrace in a very "iffy" area - red light district, and the going rent for my house is £150 per week or £140k to buy.
A decent one bedroom flat in central London isnt going to leave much change from half a million

Hey, if its a red light area then leave your house there and rent it out by the room and hourly rate!!! lmao!!

Vash the Stampede Feb 28th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 5994099)
Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment :ohmy:

I hear Spain is still very affordable.

swimmingsaintee Feb 28th 2008 12:15 pm

I just spoke with my b - in - l in Perth this morning. He's been there for 20 odd years. In the last 6 months he reckons the cost of living has really gone up noticeably.But, as he says, Perth is a booming capital city now, not the wee town it was when he got there, and is on a par, expense wise with other capital cities. He's a builder. He reckons housing market has slowed down, but things are still selling , even with interest rate rises.He is still making a good profit on his spec homes, just not 'silly' profit that he would've made say 18months/a year ago. The properties where prices are being marked down are properties that in his opinion were originally marketed too high. That's his take on things if it's of any interest to anyone.

stuckinblighty Feb 28th 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Devlin (Post 5994329)
I have to say on my several visits to Melbourne in the last 3 years the cost of everyday items and even eating out is on par there with London (suburbs)...except if I lived in Melbourne I'd earn roughly 60% of what I do here!

Agreed

We found,on average,the day to day shopping items were hideously expensive which was a real eye-opener :unsure: . I'm not including everything in that but just foodstuff we take for granted as cheap in the UK...quite disheartening really :(
Even the locals were commenting on how expensive basic shopping is becoming.

Lee :blink:

ps...bacon is dirt cheap :thumbsup:

Devlin Feb 28th 2008 1:48 pm

The inflation problem as really bitten in Oz over the last couple of years. It does look like the UK is beginning to catch up though. It's all fine and dandy if your wages are keeping up, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

CaptainMerton Feb 28th 2008 2:11 pm

Surely with interest rates continuing to rise, house prices rising, wages still not comparable to the UK for most areas of Australia there is bound to be a correction. Interest rates will eventually rise in the UK to counter inflation and then the £ will be stronger. Not much use if you have to convery to $ now however.

Kapri Feb 28th 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 5994099)

Looks like you're finding your reccie a disappointing experience all round Lee :(

stuckinblighty Feb 28th 2008 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 5995177)
Looks like you're finding your reccie a disappointing experience all round Lee :(

Not sure what to think of the place Kap to be honest :confused:

Lee :thumbup: