expensive

Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of
Default Re: expensive

Originally Posted by busterboy
I am still the lardy baSXtard I was when I started eating it though...I want my money back!
arghh but they spray the sweat on them so dont take it to heart
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:55 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xzibit
I haven't read the whole of this thread but...

I'm not moving to Oz for a cheaper life.

I'm moving for quality of life
This is exactly the reason we came, and before we got here were under no illusion it'd be a walk in the park and I'd be able to sit on my ass half the day and pay for a huge 6 bed house with a million acres of land. We came with a bit of money and this has been well used buying things like cars, furniture etc. I've landed a job and once I start we'll go about saving money and enjoying the experience of being here.

If people are thinking it's an easy option coming here then they're sadly dis-illusioned and obviously not done enough homework. We're only early into our new life and I can see hardtimes ahead, both financially and emotionally but we were fully aware of what we were getting ourselves into.

Yes, as raised by the OP things are expensive and we stand no chance of buying a house anytime soon. Some foods are extortionately priced, but others are cheaper. Things like car insurance and petrol are cheaper and we only have to pay the electric on our rental which surprised us coming from everything you have to fork out in a rental in the UK.

In short, if you want a cheap life look elsewhere. If you want to see what Oz has to offer and you're not so tight with money it'll ruin the experience, then you're half way there.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
I see these posts about the cost of things a lot and don't really agree most of the time.... sure I see that some things are more expensive, but many of the other things aren't and it evens itself out....

I live half my life in Australia and half my life in the UK, on comparable jobs and in comparible parts of the country...

petrol is cheaper here, as is eating out (we can eat out in our local town for under $50 and for less than $70 you can get some real;ly flash places - and this is considered to be one of Austrlias most expensive suburbs), my council taxx in Australia is $1300 per year, for my house that overlooks the beach, compared to 1350 POUNDS in the UK for the my one bedroom apartment...my electric bills, phone etc much cheaper here (internet still sucks), I spend less on going to the pub because the beach in the afternoon is a better investment of my time.......

I have to say that financially I fee better off in Australia, but probably not by much - I live in a nice place, always have, and I lived in a nice place in the UK. The thing is, in the UK I didn't have an apartment in Chelsea with great views.....so I wouldn't expect to have a house on Sydney Harbour or overlooking hte beach ......

Many of the English people I know make that mistake - move to Australia from some little town or medioclre sized city, and want to live in the middle of Melbourne....or overlooking Manly Beach..... thats the same as my parents moving from there 5 bed house on the mid-north coast NSW to London and complaining that the can't afford even a tiny bedsit in Kensington....

I said it on a post here the other day - lifestyle (for me) there is nothing like Australia, and much of it is free...... but this is a personal decision for me (if you like the pub egery night, then perhaps the UK is the best for you.... I like the pub everynight....for about 2 years, then I long for hte beach again)...

I can't find anything better than coming home from the office and going for a surf, or a walk on the beach, or just being outside in the garden digging up stuff cause its warm and sunny (not today, admitedly)....

Money is not everything, and if its lifestyle and happiness then I'm a far wealtheir man for the times that I am in Australia than the times I spend in the UK.....no question.
spot on mate!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickUK
spot on mate!
really sounds like he has to do alot more reading on this forum

quick note he only mentions english, the scottish, irish and welsh doent even exist in this plonkers eyes

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 29th 2008 at 11:03 am.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:04 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave7370
This is exactly the reason we came, and before we got here were under no illusion it'd be a walk in the park and I'd be able to sit on my ass half the day and pay for a huge 6 bed house with a million acres of land. We came with a bit of money and this has been well used buying things like cars, furniture etc. I've landed a job and once I start we'll go about saving money and enjoying the experience of being here.

If people are thinking it's an easy option coming here then they're sadly dis-illusioned and obviously not done enough homework. We're only early into our new life and I can see hardtimes ahead, both financially and emotionally but we were fully aware of what we were getting ourselves into.

Yes, as raised by the OP things are expensive and we stand no chance of buying a house anytime soon. Some foods are extortionately priced, but others are cheaper. Things like car insurance and petrol are cheaper and we only have to pay the electric on our rental which surprised us coming from everything you have to fork out in a rental in the UK.

In short, if you want a cheap life look elsewhere. If you want to see what Oz has to offer and you're not so tight with money it'll ruin the experience, then you're half way there.
Well said!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:14 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

quick note he only mentions english, the scottish, irish and welsh doent even exist in this plonkers eyes
And he says he is from Musselburgh....?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

I previously lived in the south of england, and moved across a couple of years ago and in my own experience I am better off (in terms of work/life balance, and financially) - therefore agree with the comments.

I don't intend on buying any time soon as interest rates are on the up, but on the plus the reason they are on the up is because the economy is doing well (e.g. employment is at a 30+ year low). Jobs are therefore easier to come by, and you have better leverage for negotiating your package. Also, the mining boom (which is going to go on for a good few years) is a major contributor to why the Oz' economy is strengthening at a time when Europe and the US looks like its heading for recession.

I appreciate everyone's got their own views and experience, but its not like Oz is alone in increases in property affortability, etc (the same has been happening throughout Europe for a number of years). I think some people have a perception that Oz is going to be cheap, which its not, but comparing Sydney/Mebourne to their UK equivalent London in my experience Oz is cheaper overall.

Last edited by nickUK; Feb 29th 2008 at 11:20 am.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

p.s. I'm originally from scotland and got used to being grouped with the English a long time ago. lots of folk outside the UK don't understand the distinction between brits, scots, english, welsh and irish.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickUK
I previously lived in the south of england, and moved across a couple of years ago and in my own experience I am better off (in terms of work/life balance, and financially) - therefore agree with the comments.

I don't intend on buying any time soon as interest rates are on the up, but on the plus the reason they are on the up is because the economy is doing well (e.g. employment is at a 30+ year low). Jobs are therefore easier to come by, and you have better leverage for negotiating your package. Also, the mining boom (which is going to go on for a good few years) is a major contributor to why the Oz' economy is strengthening at a time when Europe and the US looks like its heading for recession.

I appreciate everyone's got their own views and experience, but its not like Oz is alone in increases in property affortability, etc (the same has been happening throughout Europe for a number of years). I think some people have a perception that Oz is going to be cheap, which its not, but comparing Sydney/Mebourne to their UK equivalent London in my experience Oz is cheaper overall.

could you take your accountant hat off for a min and think of people who did it and knew they would never, ever be better off financially, but might be better off 'in life experience', we 'scraped by' in scotland. we 'scrape by in oz', we couldnt afford holidays abroad or ;visits to europe;, but we are pretty certain by taking a 'crazy plunge' already we and the kids have 'gained' in life!!

ok, looks like we will got back to scotland coz of it it too ;expensive' here, but we all go home alot older, wiser and the kids with , and yes it has been, a bloody good experience for them
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
. . . but Aus still has a reputation for being a 'cheaper' place to live.

Lee
Perhaps only amongst those who don't live there.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:32 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

could you take your accountant hat off for a min and think of people who did it and knew they would never, ever be better off financially, but might be better off 'in life experience', we 'scraped by' in scotland. we 'scrape by in oz', we couldnt afford holidays abroad or ;visits to europe;, but we are pretty certain by taking a 'crazy plunge' already we and the kids have 'gained' in life!!

ok, looks like we will got back to scotland coz of it it too ;expensive' here, but we all go home alot older, wiser and the kids with , and yes it has been, a bloody good experience for them

Are you resigned to it Mags?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry but I think that's nonsense. It's the same as saying your house is worth X when you are not selling it. Whatever the rate has been is irrelevant. You haven't 'lost' anything other than what you perceive others to have got on their exchange rate.

Have to agree with others, if the only reasons you (general) were/are coming over are monetary ones then perhaps you should rethink and just downsize in the UK. It's been a good six years since anyone could say with hand on heart that they are better off monetary wise here than the UK.
I agree that you should have more than just financial reasons when making such a big move. However, when the exchange rate is at it's most unfavourable level for more than 10 years, it will definitely be factored in to any decision I make.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

I never knew when I moved I'd be better off financially. For me it was the work/life balance, the weather, the stunning country and the outdoors lifestyle that made me move. That, and the fact I knew if I didn't I'd regret not at least giving it a go.

My point is just that, in my own experience, Oz isn't more expensive if you're doing a fair like for like comparison with a similar place in the UK (eg. comparing London to Melbourne, and not Falkirk to Melbourne).

Appreciate it varies experience to experience, and on your job.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:05 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Perhaps only amongst those who don't live there.
Exactly

thats why i started the thread

Lee
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: expensive

Hi Mrs Martin here, we've been here 3 months now and i do find food shopping and toiletries more expensive than the uk. And we're just getting into the habit of paying for everything ie schooling, driving licences, sporting events (3 boys) and hospital visit. But on the whole i still wouldnt go back, its much more relaxing here. Back home my husband wouldnt be finishing work at 4pm and saying to the boys lets go to the beach, lets go fishing,play some football or tennis. He would come home at god knows what time and sit in front of the tele and turn into a zombie until bed time(thats no life for anybody). But i do miss my ASDA with its BOGOFs, who knows ASDA might come to oz as well.

ps, my boys love it here, they love their school, they've found new friends and new hobbies.

pps, So dont come out here thinking its going to be cheaper, its just a better way of life.

Hope this helps
LISA X
</IMG>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.