expensive

Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:56 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default expensive

Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment

Discuss ! ..........................

lee
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Re: expensive

We'll be losing thousands in the £ to $ conversion and not much chance of being able to buy house either, which is a step back from our UK current situation. Still, can't wait to go
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

sure is expensive. Rentals have rocketed ours in nearly 50% of my 4 weekly salary and thats not being extravagant. they have gone up due to mortgage rate rise by nearly $40+ a week
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:08 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
We'll be losing thousands in the £ to $ conversion and not much chance of being able to buy house either, which is a step back from our UK current situation. Still, can't wait to go
i know what you mean.$400,000 is very nearly £200,000 and that buys you bugger all in melbourne anywhere near the CBD.£200,000 gets you alot more where i'm living at the moment in the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
$400,000 is very nearly £200,000 and that buys you bugger all in melbourne anywhere near the CBD.
Ditto Brisbane
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but you have to think what you would get in the UK espeicially London, you couldnt get a shed for £200k in central London. I live in Leicester in a small two up two down terrace in a very "iffy" area - red light district, and the going rent for my house is £150 per week or £140k to buy.
A decent one bedroom flat in central London isnt going to leave much change from half a million
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

I have to say on my several visits to Melbourne in the last 3 years the cost of everyday items and even eating out is on par there with London (suburbs)...except if I lived in Melbourne I'd earn roughly 60% of what I do here!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:07 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Yeah, but you have to think what you would get in the UK espeicially London, you couldnt get a shed for £200k in central London. I live in Leicester in a small two up two down terrace in a very "iffy" area - red light district, and the going rent for my house is £150 per week or £140k to buy.
A decent one bedroom flat in central London isnt going to leave much change from half a million
Hey, if its a red light area then leave your house there and rent it out by the room and hourly rate!!! lmao!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:11 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: expensive

Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment

lee
I hear Spain is still very affordable.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

swimmingsaintee will become famous soon enough

I just spoke with my b - in - l in Perth this morning. He's been there for 20 odd years. In the last 6 months he reckons the cost of living has really gone up noticeably.But, as he says, Perth is a booming capital city now, not the wee town it was when he got there, and is on a par, expense wise with other capital cities. He's a builder. He reckons housing market has slowed down, but things are still selling , even with interest rate rises.He is still making a good profit on his spec homes, just not 'silly' profit that he would've made say 18months/a year ago. The properties where prices are being marked down are properties that in his opinion were originally marketed too high. That's his take on things if it's of any interest to anyone.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:26 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Devlin
I have to say on my several visits to Melbourne in the last 3 years the cost of everyday items and even eating out is on par there with London (suburbs)...except if I lived in Melbourne I'd earn roughly 60% of what I do here!
Agreed

We found,on average,the day to day shopping items were hideously expensive which was a real eye-opener . I'm not including everything in that but just foodstuff we take for granted as cheap in the UK...quite disheartening really
Even the locals were commenting on how expensive basic shopping is becoming.

Lee

ps...bacon is dirt cheap
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

The inflation problem as really bitten in Oz over the last couple of years. It does look like the UK is beginning to catch up though. It's all fine and dandy if your wages are keeping up, but it doesn't look like that's happening.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Surely with interest rates continuing to rise, house prices rising, wages still not comparable to the UK for most areas of Australia there is bound to be a correction. Interest rates will eventually rise in the UK to counter inflation and then the £ will be stronger. Not much use if you have to convery to $ now however.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:16 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

lee
Looks like you're finding your reccie a disappointing experience all round Lee
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:29 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Kapri
Looks like you're finding your reccie a disappointing experience all round Lee
Not sure what to think of the place Kap to be honest

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.