Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

framboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Congratulations Fizwe are a little bit nervous tonight as we are 2 weeks behind you on Steve's tracker. Can't believe after all this time we are getting to the exiting bit. We have already sent off for Police Checks, so will soon have to think about medicals. Would be interested to know what has happened to "ebbonie" also as Case Officer notice seems to have missed them.

Well I think a stiff drink is needed before bed tonight!!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandch
Aaargh. Ah well Elaine, you'll feel like you "belong".
Thank you Steve,

I must say since setting up home here in May, Everyone I have met has been so welcoming, supportive and helpful. No regrets

To everyone still battling it out in the UK, take heart it is well worth the effort. just keep positive.

Kind wishes
Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Hi everyone,

Been a bit quiet waiting for the rate to improve and it didn't so had to send the enooooooooooooormus amount of money over at the worst time for our final VAC and still reeling from the shock, but paid now so awaiting exciting news so that I can get a red star from Steve. Note to others, We wish we had dripped money over to an Australian Bank Account when the rates were good and put it into high interest Aus Bank Account It is an anxious time getting the final vac together and getting it over on time. Will be opening Facebook page for PIPS soon
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:12 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peewit
Hi all

With the cost of the cpv effectively doubling over the last two years due to exchange rate erosion and increase in visa fees, I wonder if anyone can afford it anymore. I reckon a couple applying now need to have about £60,000 to invest in getting the visas at the current exchange rate.
On the plus side I would assume that the wait for a case officer will reduce considerably unless of course they decide to have fewer case officers on this visa type at Perth.

Regards
Peewit
Its certainly not attractive any more at that sort of costs.

Matt
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
G'Day

Have a look at http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20393.asp.

It seems that you can drive for as long as you like, until your UK licence expires.

Mike
Ok, thanks for that. I thought so, but it just raised a doubt in my mind.
Linda
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi everyone,

Been a bit quiet waiting for the rate to improve and it didn't so had to send the enooooooooooooormus amount of money over at the worst time for our final VAC and still reeling from the shock, but paid now so awaiting exciting news so that I can get a red star from Steve. Note to others, We wish we had dripped money over to an Australian Bank Account when the rates were good and put it into high interest Aus Bank Account It is an anxious time getting the final vac together and getting it over on time. Will be opening Facebook page for PIPS soon
Oh yikes! I will have to get my techie son to get me up to speed with Facebook! Haven't got a clue!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Oh yikes! I will have to get my techie son to get me up to speed with Facebook! Haven't got a clue!
Go to Sign up Facebook and enter your details including email address then confirm the email they send to that address then search for PIPS AUS and request for friend.

Yes Guys PIPS AUS is now up and running waiting for friends requests!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandch
I think he will get a letter from Centrelink to enable him to open the account. As far as I can remember Commonwealth Bank will only accept cash or a bankers draft made payable to the account holder (your son in law).

I'm sure someone with more recent experience will be able to confirm or expand on this.

Cheers

Steve
Thats correct Steve as far as Perth is concerned but the letter came the next day.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:48 pm

We have just booked our flights to Brisbane online with Singapore Airlines, leaving Sunday 23rd Jan, 2 nights in Singapore, arriving Brisbane 27th Jan, what a great feeling!

Spoke with Singapore Airlines today about baggage allowances and they told me that you can double up on the 20kg, if you fulfill all the below: -

You have valid unstamped/unvalidated visa to migrate
You have a signed letter from your local embassy to say you are migrating permanently

This of course rules us out as our visa has been validated

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
We have just booked our flights to Brisbane online with Singapore Airlines, leaving Sunday 23rd Jan, 2 nights in Singapore, arriving Brisbane 27th Jan, what a great feeling!

Spoke with Singapore Airlines today about baggage allowances and they told me that you can double up on the 20kg, if you fulfill all the below: -

You have a signed letter from your local embassy to say you are migrating permanently

Cheers

Matt
It is a great feeling to have booked one way flights but feels very strange. Singapore not too generous then. Going with Emirates and hope to get the 50 kg as validating and migrating at the same time exactly one month later than your goodselves.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers

Matt
Hi Matt, First time we went with SA we took 20kgs and watched the guy in front put 28kgs through with no problem, we spoke to the SA desk at Heathrow and they said they let up to 25kgs through without extra charge so the next two times we took 24kgs each with no problem.

Only two nights in Singapore. You can't have done everything surely.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Hi Matt, First time we went with SA we took 20kgs and watched the guy in front put 28kgs through with no problem, we spoke to the SA desk at Heathrow and they said they let up to 25kgs through without extra charge so the next two times we took 24kgs each with no problem.

We were told that SA would give us 35kg Business Class....and we kept asking for 40kg and they refused.....but when we went through we were definitely over weight (us and our baggage) and they just ignored it and waved it through.
Julie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Julian927
We were told that SA would give us 35kg Business Class....and we kept asking for 40kg and they refused.....but when we went through we were definitely over weight (us and our baggage) and they just ignored it and waved it through.
Julie
When our son went on his one way trip to Brisbane with SA they had about 90kgs instead of the 80kgs allowed (for 2 people) and SA wanted about £200 excess per leg of the flight (and the flight was not full).

He chose to use a baggage company which quote £200 to Oz but forgot to mention the $200 he had to pay in Oz when he collected it.

It does seem the luck of the draw if they charge you or let you go.

One thing is certain, it is cheaper to send a spare suitcase from your home than from Heathrow at the last minute.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Les Avalook

I am tempted to go over the weight limit slightly, but don't want to end up paying loads.

We would love more than 2 nights in Singapore, but couldn't afford more than that at Raffles!

I booked, hotel, transfers & sightseeing with SA online and saved a bomb!

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am tempted to go over the weight limit slightly, but don't want to end up paying loads.

We would love more than 2 nights in Singapore, but couldn't afford more than that at Raffles!

I booked, hotel, transfers & sightseeing with SA online and saved a bomb!

Cheers

Matt
Current thinking is wearing one of those hunter/poacher waistcoats and pack about 10 kgs about your person and then 'unload' on the plane.

P.S. I think you will find staying in Singapore faaarrrrrr cheaper than Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.