Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:49 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by sandch
Just catching up on all your chat folks. We were completely knackered by the end of yesterday but had managed to buy a car, register for Medicare (they found our previous records from 16 years ago even though we'd forgotten about them), and drive by some mostly naff rental properties. I'll let you know how we get on with insurance; I brought the UK NCD stuff with us so I hope that'll help keep the cost down. At a rate of 1.6 ish, new car costs seem to be similar, possibly slightly lower than those in the UK. Still suffering from the mandatory virus supplied FOC by the airline, but keeping going!

Will keep in touch, things should settle down soon.

Bye for now

Best wishes
Steve
Hi Steve, when we were over at the beginning of this year RACQ gave a very good quote on car insurance at one of their offices. I suppose where you are it will be RAC? but am sure its the same all over Oz.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:16 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Hi Steve, when we were over at the beginning of this year RACQ gave a very good quote on car insurance at one of their offices. I suppose where you are it will be RAC? but am sure its the same all over Oz.

Cheers

Matt
Thanks for that Matt - yes we'll look at them first as our daughter also uses RAC.

Cheers

Steve
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers

Matt
Our D-I-L works at RACQ HQ, just down the road from where you are heading Matt, I'm sure they give all Poms a good deal.

Not just the titled ones.

P.S. don't get vegemite on your application form, it never looks good and they may just put the price up.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Katie1955
Hi Les,

what a terrible thought, it's just better not to look back but just onwards & upwards.

Really pleased to hear that you dont like Marmite or Vegemite - should we start a club of our own, see if there are any other takers ?

Katie
It takes guts to come out of the closet so it may be a small club.

P.S. Love Bridgenorth and the Seven Valley Railway, if the rates goes much lower that could be plan B.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:11 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Our D-I-L works at RACQ HQ, just down the road from where you are heading Matt, I'm sure they give all Poms a good deal.

Not just the titled ones.

P.S. don't get vegemite on your application form, it never looks good and they may just put the price up.
Looks like I might have to take a jar or two of the well known Vegemite copy, Mar........ something or other, to bribe your D.I.L

Perhaps if I buy a 1 sq/cm of titled Scottish Land, the title "Laird" will help me in my future quests, I mean I could maybe travel at the front of the economy section!!

Matt
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Looks like I might have to take a jar or two of the well known Vegemite copy, Mar........ something or other, to bribe your D.I.L

Matt
Wrong generation Matt, you would get further with Nutella.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Katie1955
Hi Les,

what a terrible thought, it's just better not to look back but just onwards & upwards.

Really pleased to hear that you dont like Marmite or Vegemite - should we start a club of our own, see if there are any other takers ?

Katie
Oxo? or are you a Bisto Kid?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling in Australia!!

Hi guys,

Its time once again to do something about this exceptionally long and informative thread. As you know we have had to split the thread in the past due to its size. Well, after discussion with Admin and other Mods, this time we are going to split into two branches.......

The posts from the last couple of weeks to do with Aussie lifestyle, and general chat, have been moved to this new thread in our main Australian Lifestyle forum - they are more suited to this area, and this may help some of you to find other threads of interest about life on this side of the world. That thread is now HERE. I've kept the sparkling title, but if anyone has a better suggestion just pm me and I will change it for you

The Immigration posts from the last couple of weeks will form the basis of a new visa related thread in that forum, the Aus Immigration forum. Please keep this new thread solely for visa and immigration questions - anything off-topic will be moved out of the thread. The new immigration thread is HERE

This is so that people who do have a question about getting a CPV can find the answer easily. The few questions that have been posted recently are getting rather swamped by the chat. Please don't think that we are discouraging the chat, far from it, we are just trying to make it easier for everyone, one place for serious visa stuff, and one to chill out and learn about living over here

The old thread - Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4 - is HERE and is now closed.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 1st 2010 at 6:44 am.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi guys,

Its time once again to do something about this exceptionally long and informative thread. As you know we have had to split the thread in the past due to its size. Well, after discussion with Admin and other Mods, this time we are going to split into two branches.......

Gosh thats heavy prunning.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:50 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Gosh thats heavy prunning.
We thought about it and reckoned that in order to give you all a fair chance, we should split it in two. Nothing's been deleted, all the chat and lifestyle is in here and the visa questions are in the other forum - gives you all two threads instead of one, if nothing else
I'm now on wine and nurofen and my head is scrambled
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We thought about it and reckoned that in order to give you all a fair chance, we should split it in two. Nothing's been deleted, all the chat and lifestyle is in here and the visa questions are in the other forum - gives you all two threads instead of one, if nothing else
I'm now on wine and nurofen and my head is scrambled
Whilst I can see that the forum has become very long and therefore a new start may be a good idea, I think that the split may have a detrimental effect on the spontaneity of the discussion - I do not think that people will deliberately log onto a different site to make a different comment. All the participants on this thread are coming from the same place - a CPV application, the 'journey', the final move to Australia and the building of contacts there. This thread was a one-stop-shop for so many issues that are of huge importance to those of us who are moving to Australia in the later years of our lives and for some it is of huge importance to ask all sorts of seemingly irrelevant details. Many of the 'unrelated' comments are still relelvant to the whole experience and having to search 2 threads for an answer may not be very productive! My experience of the thread was made all the better by being a mixture of procedural issues and personal experiences. I will watch with interest but not very often - too hard!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:58 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
Whilst I can see that the forum has become very long and therefore a new start may be a good idea, I think that the split may have a detrimental effect on the spontaneity of the discussion - I do not think that people will deliberately log onto a different site to make a different comment. All the participants on this thread are coming from the same place - a CPV application, the 'journey', the final move to Australia and the building of contacts there. This thread was a one-stop-shop for so many issues that are of huge importance to those of us who are moving to Australia in the later years of our lives and for some it is of huge importance to ask all sorts of seemingly irrelevant details. Many of the 'unrelated' comments are still relelvant to the whole experience and having to search 2 threads for an answer may not be very productive! My experience of the thread was made all the better by being a mixture of procedural issues and personal experiences. I will watch with interest but not very often - too hard!
You don't need to log into a different site! Its just another thread, in the same site (www.britishexpats.com) in a more appropriate area of the site - thet dealing with lifestyle. Once you are logged into BE you have access to both forums, and many others. In the past we have always moved off-topic threads and posts into more appropriate forums so that they get better answers from a wider audience. Thats all we have done this time - and in fact I spent a lot of time ensuring that the posts that were moved to the lifestyle forum included several pages of the current discussion.
Nothing is irrelevant, thats why nothing was deleted.

If you have any issues with my actions please take them up with Sue, Site Admin.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

A real pity, see my comments on the other thread if you can be bothered - many won't. That is why it is a great pity.

Charlie

Anyone know of another forum to the west??
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by charlie5
A real pity, see my comments on the other thread if you can be bothered - many won't. That is why it is a great pity.

Charlie

Anyone know of another forum to the west??
If you have any issues with my actions please take them up with Sue, Site Admin.

I sometimes wonder why I waste my time trying to help people to get the most out of this forum only to have it thrown back in my face.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

johnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to all

I support the moderator.
There was too much non CPV chatter.
Thanks for your moderation Pollyana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.