Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Yes - Melbourne, we have learned, one of the top three children's hospitals in the world. We now know it very well. Absolutely fantastic staff at RCH.
Good to hear - got a close friend starting work there next year
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:18 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling in Australia!!

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
I am sorry to say that I think that it is not the posters who have missed the point - this thread was for CPV - all things related to CPV - and that includes all the other issues related to a late in life move to the other side of the world. Many of the issues raised by CPV applicants are of absolutely no interest to other visa class applicants, but may not fit neatly into an immigration/visa discussion. We were a happy bunch giving each other support and information, together with humour and in some cases hilarity. Shame on you for spoiling the party!
That's the thing though - see the words in bold above. In the last 200 or so posts on the old combined thread there were about half a dozen questions related to getting a CPV which were just submerged and not being answered because of the chat going on around them. The same happens in ANY long thread - we had a similar issue with Spouse Visas, several years ago. A very long thread which became a chat thread and people stopped asking visa-related questions because they weren't getting answers. Everyone was happily chatting away but the visa problems were being overlooked. We started a new Spouse thread, just for visa questions, and it works really well. At the same time those of us coming on Spouse Visas found that although we had a few issues "special"to us, most aspects of life are the same for everyone and being able to chat to people with contrasting experiences can sometimes be as interesting as talking to those with the same visa.
I just don't get the bit about spoiling the part - the fun, the humour and the hilarity is all still here - in fact if you care to dip into a few of the other threads you'll see that it exists throughout the forum, not just in this thread I've even been to BE meets where I've met people that are here on CPVs and have been brave enough to come out and meet the rest of the rabble - and they say they enjoyed it too

All we are trying to do is help people with questions about visas to find the answers, and help everyone to enjoy their move to Australia - making friends in the wider community can only help with that. Many of us have made long-lasting friends through this site, who we now see regularly in real life
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:46 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Julian927
We were going to post re: buying a house this week with Relocation Phil Down Under.....but we don't know where to post now - would this be chit chat or useful information?....so we aren't going to bother.
Julie and Ian Leigh
Post it in here, this is for Australia Lifestyle chat after all

The production company for Phil Down Under posted a few threads in our Media Requests forum looking for participants. It would interesting to know if anyone from BE will be in the new series.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:50 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
On a completely different subject -

We heard a couple of weeks ago that our Granddaughter, Scarlett, had been asked to be "the face of the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal 2011". She had a heart transplant in 2009 and is treated at the RCH, and its her 2nd birthday tomorrow. The Director of the Appeal, and photographer from the HS (popular daily newspaper, think "Hark the **** angels + big yellow globe in the sky!) came to their home today to take photos to be used for the Appeal and because its her birthday tomorrow, they decided to write an article for publication in tomorrow's paper. She will feature in a few articles over the next few months in the paper, and will be making public appearances at various Good Friday Appeal events as well as appearing on TV and in billboard advertising.

Fame, not as we would have chosen it, but for a great cause. Once again we can only express deep sympathy and thanks to all donor families and thanks to all the wonderful medical and support staff at the RCH and all other hospitals that treat children with life threatening illness.

Gill
(Very proud Nanny!!)
So pleased your granddaughter is doing so well and congratulations on the news. It must have been a very worrying time for you all and it's nice that she is going from strength to strength and you get news like this. I bet you are all very excited.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to say that I think that it is not the posters who have missed the point - this thread was for CPV - all things related to CPV - and that includes all the other issues related to a late in life move to the other side of the world. Many of the issues raised by CPV applicants are of absolutely no interest to other visa class applicants, but may not fit neatly into an immigration/visa discussion. We were a happy bunch giving each other support and information, together with humour and in some cases hilarity. Shame on you for spoiling the party!
As has been said before, you can start a thread on anything that causes you concern. There are stacks of people not on CPV who can and will help with any issues you believe you are struggling with. Why would you cut off a massive help line just because you feel safe in the one thread? If you've got the balls to go through the stresses and strains of applying for a CPV and move to the other side of the world, I'm honestly confused as to why you won't explore the world of BE. There's even more of a party going on.

With respect, considering some you (general) have never moved outside one thread, I'm at a loss to understand what issues you have that you don't believe anyone else has. Everyone has the same issues, believe you me. We've all been there and we're all trying to help others. In many cases it's just as scary, maybe more so, for young people to move to the other side of the world leaving their family and friends behind and taking small children away from the grandparents, whereas you guys are at least joining families.

Perhaps you could have a good look around the Lifestyle forum and see what's there before knocking it and deciding it's not of use to you.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coloneldube
Oh dear, a few teddies out of the pram I think. Anyway, back to reality and day 4 of our new life down under - I hope this is posted in the right thread. So far we have sorted out the bank account, we already had an ANZ saver but have added a current account ready to receive our UK pensions. We have visited the licensing office in Joondalup to try and sort out our driving licences but found out that because we are are both on medication for high blood pressure that we have to have a medical so the Aus government haven't quite finished fleecing us yet. However, we will apply for senior's cards first because we might be able to get a discount (not 100% sure on this). We've spent time getting to know our 3 year old granddaughter Maddie who so far much prefers granddad to grandma, hopefully she will like me better as time goes on. We've been to watch 8 year old Issy in her school Christmas production too. Later we will go car hunting. I have to say that I feel far out of my comfort zone and had a bit of a melt down over a mobile phone of all things! I'm sure it will get better when we have found a rental and have our possessions around us. I really don't like living out of a suitcase, or many suitcases in our case. Onward & upwards.

Cath & Tony
Hi Cath and Tony

Glad to hear that you have landed safely. Say Hi to Perth for us. Wish we were there! At least you are away from this awful weather at the moment. Spoke to my daughter the other day who said it was 36 degrees there. Talk about extremes! Hope to see you at one of the PIP meet ups maybe.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by charlie5
I wonder why moderators have suddenly taken an interset in this thread?

Charlie
The lunatics have taken over the asylum?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Hi Guys,
Where am I ? Lifestyle or Information? Where are all my friends?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

ancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really nice

Hello, we are feeling just the same.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi Guys,
Originally Posted by ancpar
Hello, we are feeling just the same.
Here and Here
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

framboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue
Here and Here
Including us, just got CO and not had the usual congrats, think the Mods have messed up a good site
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:52 pm
Home and Happy

Some of you seem a little confused by some of the terms we are using, and it is confusing when you're fairly new to the internet, took me months to work it all out

The "site" is www.britishexpats.com - its fine, at least all the other thousands of users seems quite happy
Within the site there are several "forums" - the CPV thread now runs in two of those - the main Australia forum, and the Australia Immigration forum (where it started).

Within the forums there are "threads" - this is one, an offshoot of the original long one in the Immigration forum.

Each comment posted onto a thread is called a "post".

Hope that helps a bit
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:56 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi Guys,
Hear hear! I've just read 3 pages worth of postings from moderators who I had never seen on this forum before and I don't know which thread I was on either

Perhaps the moderators haven't taken into account the fact that because it takes so long to get a case officer for a CPV, inevitably we end up chatting about other issues whilst we wait for our visa. Meanwhile, all those lifestyle postings are INCREDIBLY important to those of us feeling apprehensive about the potential issues of the big move.

I have learnt so much from this forum about things relevant to me-tiny things like a Seniors card-which I wouldn't necessarily get from a general immigration forum-I've looked at those and they are far less relevant to my position. As someone moving planning to move out on my own, it has been a great source of comfort.

I really can't see why we, the regular users of this forum , can't have a say. Sadly we seem to have "lost" friends already because of this decision

Kind regards
Fiz
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

audie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by framboy
Including us, just got CO and not had the usual congrats, think the Mods have messed up a good site

I hear you, I hear you!

Many many congratulations! - where are you off to? we will be on the gold coast in april and are hoping to get together with a few PIQ's ( poms in Queensland (via Canada)

I bet you feel a bit miffed with not so many 'congrats' posts - I would too

CONGRATULATIONS

audie and catherine (waiting in the wings)
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some of you seem a little confused by some of the terms we are using, and it is confusing when you're fairly new to the internet, took me months to work it all out

The "site" is www.britishexpats.com - its fine, at least all the other thousands of users seems quite happy
Within the site there are several "forums" - the CPV thread now runs in two of those - the main Australia forum, and the Australia Immigration forum (where it started).

Within the forums there are "threads" - this is one, an offshoot of the original long one in the Immigration forum.

Each comment posted onto a thread is called a "post".

Hope that helps a bit
I think you are really taking the P now.

Some of your customers have been posting for more than 2 years and know what parts of the site is called, just because we are old we are not stupid.

We have only asked for the 'old thread' to be kept together, not how we should use the site.

Maybe if you took a less patronizing style you may just get back the long term posters you seem to have lost and keep the ones you have got.

Bear in mind we are all paying about £40,000 to come out to Oz and we will be users of many of the services your advertisers provide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.