Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:03 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
You don't need to always check the exchange rate, if you watch the stock market everytime it has a down day the exchange rate improves.

Must admit that your exchange rates always look better than UkForex, who do you use Steve? They quote $1.61 this am.
It's going to be an average mid point Les, similar to the rates the BBC tracks for example. Ths site: http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/forexpowerchart/ is dynamic (takes a while to load and choose the currency from "Instruments"). You can waste a lot of time watching it if you choose the 1 minute time scale, but when the currency is moving around a lot, I find it useful to make sure the traders are in the right area - normally a couple of points behind if you're buying, a couple of points the other way if you're selling.

So for me it's just a moving guide as to what's happening during the day with the opportunity to catch the peaks.

Hope you find it useful.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 1st 2010 at 6:43 am. Reason: Splitting posts into new thread
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

We arrived out in Sydney on Tuesday with the film crew from Relocation Phil Down Under waiting with our children for us at the airport. Just a few days before we moved we noticed an entry in the Australia forum telling us that they were looking for candidates for the show. We completed the application form and received a telephone call the next day. The day after a film crew arrived to film for 5 hours prior to us moving out of our rented accommodation. We have been filmed over here meeting our two granddaughters.....and then we shall be filmed for 3 days in early December while Phil Spencer looks for our house.
Meanwhile we have been busy, today we have bought a new car, which we can collect on Saturday - we have got our NSW driving licences for 5 years - cost $153 at the RTA - very efficient, provided you have all the right paperwork with you! Tomorrow we aim to register for Medicare and our Senior Travel card. A busy week!
Julie and Ian
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my request for 2nd VAC payment today....... Yippeeeeeeee I'm on my way.

Wow, what a feeling. My left hand doesn't know what my right hand is doing. I'm all of a shiver, LOL
It's all systems go now and I have just had a chat with my daughter and son in law in the sunny Gold Coast. Weather s lovely, all is well and I can't wait. I'm not even going to mention the exchange rate or let it get me down. It is
what it is.

Fingers crossed that my house sale goes through without a hitch now.
Good luck to all of you still waiting and as has been said before, once the call comes, it's a mad dash to fit everything in.

It's such an emotional time as we all want to be with or families.

Gods speed to you all.
June xxx
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Julian927
We arrived out in Sydney on Tuesday with the film crew from Relocation Phil Down Under waiting with our children for us at the airport. Just a few days before we moved we noticed an entry in the Australia forum telling us that they were looking for candidates for the show. We completed the application form and received a telephone call the next day. The day after a film crew arrived to film for 5 hours prior to us moving out of our rented accommodation. We have been filmed over here meeting our two granddaughters.....and then we shall be filmed for 3 days in early December while Phil Spencer looks for our house.
Meanwhile we have been busy, today we have bought a new car, which we can collect on Saturday - we have got our NSW driving licences for 5 years - cost $153 at the RTA - very efficient, provided you have all the right paperwork with you! Tomorrow we aim to register for Medicare and our Senior Travel card. A busy week!
Julie and Ian
You brave people! Any idea when it will be broadcast? What documents did you need for the driving licences?

It all sounds quite exciting. We're at the other end of the process, unwinding stuff, all rather tedious, but it has to be done!

All the best

Steve
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by junejuno

Wow, what a feeling. My left hand doesn't know what my right hand is doing. I'm all of a shiver, LOL
It's all systems go now and I have just had a chat with my daughter and son in law in the sunny Gold Coast. Weather s lovely, all is well and I can't wait. I'm not even going to mention the exchange rate or let it get me down. It is
what it is.

Good luck to all of you still waiting and as has been said before, once the call comes, it's a mad dash to fit everything in.

Gods speed to you all.
June xxx
Great news June and a good attitude to the exchange rate too.

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have got our NSW driving licences for 5 years - cost $153 at the RTA - very efficient, provided you have all the right paperwork with you!
Julie and Ian
What an Aussie welcome!

One query for future reference: Did the RTA "deface" your UK licences when issuing the NSW ones? (It can be useful to have UK ones in reserve for return visits.)

Mike
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

Our UK licences were untouched.

Charlie
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:44 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Julie and Ian
We didn't realise when we went for that drink with you guys that we were with future TV stars! Keep us all posted as to when it will be broadcast.

Sounds exciting, a whole new life. Keep us all updated.

All the best

Matt
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

Our UK licences were untouched.

Charlie
Thanks, Charlie; our daughter's UK licence had a hole punched in it! that was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Mike
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:39 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Julie and Ian
How exciting! I watched the first series and saw the advert at the end for willing participants..well done for being accepted!

Whereabouts in Sydney are you looking?

Hoping to be in the same position as you next year......Fiz
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Just going back to the question of pensions. My daughter sent me this advert which she saw in the Perth paper. Does anyone know what they are talking about?

[I]BIG RULE CHANGE TO UK PENSIONS

Thousands of Ex UK residents are entitled to a UK pension due to recent rule changes sates UK pension consultant Richard Holland

People may also be able to top up their pensions which usually gives them returns of over 20% with Bank of England security.

Those most affected are: (NB nationality of the claimant is irrelevant)

Women aged under 61 who have worked 3 years plus in the UK
Women aged over 60 whose husbands worked 3+ years in the UK
Widows/divorcees to men who worked in the UK aged 60+
Men aged 66+ who have worked 11+ years in the UK

In addition lump sums are often paid.

Richard Holland has over 20 years experience with UK Pensions
People who think they could be affected should phone …………..
Those already receiving a British Pension have no concerns

The only thing I can think of is that they are referring to the reduction in the number of years needed for a pension, but that happened a while ago, or have I missed something?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by junejuno

what it is.

Gods speed to you all.
June xxx
Lovel News June such an exciting time for the whole family. Best of the Best!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
Thanks, Charlie; our daughter's UK licence had a hole punched in it! that was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Mike
Hi

The same happened to my son. I think they have stopped puching the hole now.

Charlie
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sandch
You brave people! Any idea when it will be broadcast? What documents did you need for the driving licences?

Steve
We needed passports, UK driving licences - you need the original issued date which is not the one on the photo card - so you take the paper part - otherwise you are in danger of being issued with a P plate!! Evidence of your Australian address - they suggested a utility bill which as we had only been here for a couple of days we did not have. We went to our bank and changed our address from our UK address to our son's address and asked for a printed statement. In fact they gave us a letter, stamped. Luckily I also took an old statement that had our UK address on it. On arrival at the RTA they said the bank letter was not acceptable on its own, but with the old statement they accepted it. You can buy 1, 3 or 5 year licences - progressively better value for money. We chose 5 year at $153
The RTA office was very efficient, you fill in the form, take a number, a bit like Waitrose meat counter and sit and wait to be called. They take your photo there and then and about 5 minutes later you are given your licence.
Julie and Ian
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fiz
How exciting! I watched the first series and saw the advert at the end for willing participants..well done for being accepted!

Whereabouts in Sydney are you looking?

Hoping to be in the same position as you next year......Fiz
We most likely are looking north of Gosford - so Central Coast area whilst still within an hour of our son at Berowra Heights.

Julie and Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.