Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
From the lack of postings by Steve, I am presuming he has left our fair shores and is somewhere in Oz? If you are out there Steve, make a sign

Matt
Matt, I've just noticed you're only a few miles away from us (and share the same council - we're at the northern end of the borough). How are the saving plans going? I'm sure you'll make it there before we do - provided we can sell our house and get the illusive visa we hope to depart for adelaide in Spring 2012.

Congrats too Steve. Look forward to hearing how you are getting on in Oz.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:39 pm

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Originally Posted by peewit
Hi K & M

Many thanks, that is really useful information and I will study it.
I do want to shift some assets to Australia but am waiting for the exchange rate to improve. It seems at the moment almost as if there is a magnet pulling the rate permenantly down.

Peewit
Yes there are a lot of us waiting for the "Right Time" to move some assets over.

I don't think that the time is right yet! I am optimistic that things will look better in the UK spring, with the Irish issues stabilising hopefully the Euro markets wont be so volatile and with the rise of inflation in China which may slow down the purchasing of comodoties from Australia the £ may rise against the AUD$ for a short while to enable us all to make a quick switch from £ to AUD$.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:37 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jtct
Matt, I've just noticed you're only a few miles away from us (and share the same council - we're at the northern end of the borough). How are the saving plans going? I'm sure you'll make it there before we do - provided we can sell our house and get the illusive visa we hope to depart for adelaide in Spring 2012.

Congrats too Steve. Look forward to hearing how you are getting on in Oz.
Hi, we are actually only temporary residents, here for approx 8 weeks on a winter contract. We are now aiming to leave the UK at the end of Jan 2011, going to make the move sooner rather than later, with the low exchange rate would be here saving for ever, so will earn some $s over there.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chris-Rob-PTK
Hi Matt
I`m glad to say we haven`t had any real problems. We bought the car in the first week but had to have Oz licences for the rego, so it was a quick trip to the transport office and a few $+ to exchange our uk ones. We decided to rent instead of buying property ,no problems there ,but rentals are on a points system so you need paperwork to show you have owned property in the UK and paid all your final bills. The Rego on the car also adds to your points .We are lucky we have found a lovely house (bungalow) with an understanding owner that`s letting Rob garden and plant to his hearts content.. Chris
Thats interesting about rentals, we sold our house in Feb 2007, but still have Mortgage statements from then. Since then we have lived in an American RV Motorhome so don't have any recent points gaining support, so I hope that doesn't prove to be a problem to us as we intend to rent. We already have Queensland Drivers Licences since Feb this year and first thing we do will be buying a car!

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
G'DAY Steve and a warm welcome to Melbourne.

...... try the Buderim Ginger Marmalade, I visited their factory while in QLD, and it is all made from ginger grown on local farms, a very interesting tour plus all their different products.

Best Wishes from another Melbourne Expat
Elaine
We are still using ours in the UK from our last trip, really great stuff, we also brought back a few kilos of local honey, funny how they don't mind food going out of the country.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

....we have lived in an American RV Motorhome so don't have any recent points gaining support....

Cheers

Matt
Not the one with 'Spending the Kids inheritance sticker on the back?

Matt, last year we spoke to Ray White (may not have been 'the' man ) and we told them we have never rented and was told that would not be a problem.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:21 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Well done you! So lovely to hear from you Steve from the other side of the world. Now this is when you can help us all more by blogging your experiences. Have you bought your overseas burial plot yet?
Hello! No, that's one of the things we forgot to put on our list!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Not the one with 'Spending the Kids inheritance sticker on the back?

Matt, last year we spoke to Ray White (may not have been 'the' man ) and we told them we have never rented and was told that would not be a problem.
That sounds encouraging Les, we are looking forward to living in a house again and getting all our things out of their boxes & crates where theyv'e been these last 3- 4 years. Most likely none of the clothes will fit and none of the electrical stuff will work. We are now at the stage of looking at houses and cars on the net and know what we want when we get there.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by miscellaneous
G'DAY Steve and a warm welcome to Melbourne.

So glad you are back on line. and a big thank you for all your expertise, comments, and not least your Tracker. It has definately helped to propel me along to this last stage.

As well as Vegemite, try the Buderim Ginger Marmalade, I visited their factory while in QLD, and it is all made from ginger grown on local farms, a very interesting tour plus all their different products.

Best Wishes from another Melbourne Expat
Elaine
Thanks Elaine!

What do you mean as well as Vegemite? Ginger marmalade sounds pretty interesting though - we'll look out for some!

Best wishes from a sunny (and expected 30 degree) Melbourne.

Steve
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:26 pm

No wonder you are so ecstatic

I imagine you stopped off and bought a supply of the "Brown Stuff" on the way from the airport?

Good luck

Matt
Damn. I clean forgot. Never mind - next time.

There's a large jar in a cupboard here, but it seems harmless.

Best wishes
Steve
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by sandch
Thanks Elaine!

What do you mean as well as Vegemite? Ginger marmalade sounds pretty interesting though - we'll look out for some!

[I]Best wishes from a sunny (and expected 30 degree) Melbourne[/I].

Steve
Ok, don't show off

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by K and M
Hi Peewit,
Life is not as easy as that I am afraid , you need to have a clear understanding of the difference to non residence (Ex Pat) and Non Domiciled, below is a cote from the Tax Cafe Non-Resident & Offshore Tax Planning guide www.taxcafe.co.uk
I have bought their guides before and they are very good.

Also understand that even after leaving UK you are still liable to IHT on your UK assets, carrying out the items below will avoid paying IHT on your World Wide assets.

Hope it helps

HOW TO LOSE YOUR UK DOMICILE

You should take as many of the following steps as possible to show
evidence of an intention to acquire a new domicile of choice:

Take up nationality in the new country.
Join clubs and other social organisaorganizationsnew country.
Dispose of UK investments.
Resign from clubs in the UK.
Close UK bank accounts.
Buy an overseas burial plot.
Avoid subscriptions to British newspapers.
Dispose of all UK private residences.
Buy a new residence in the new country.
Make a will under the laws of the new country.
Build up a new circle of friends in the new country.
Avoid retaining directorships in the UK.
Exercise any vote in the new country.

It should be noted that none of the above factors are in themselves
conclusive. However, Revenue and Customs will look at all the
factors that can be put in evidence to determine whether there is a
real intention to reside permanently in the new country.

Obtaining a non-UK domicile of choice does not protect you
completely from UK inheritance tax. You will still be liable to tax
on your UK assets. If the value of these assets is less than the nil
rate band (currently £325,000) it is probably not worth taking any
further action, unless you expect your assets to rise significantly in
value.
We even returned our library cards!
Julie
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

peewit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

As youtube seems to keep throwing up errors, I have put those two short videos on my website.

You can see them by clicking on one of these links :-

The one covering the basics of the cpv class 143 http://www.f1charts.com/peewitvisa.mp4

The one about my experiences with various long haul airlines http://www.f1charts.com/peewitflights.mp4

The ones on Youtube are still there if you are patient.

Regards

Peewit
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:12 pm

Default Driving licenses

We overlooked one thing folks (well only one so far but watch this space).

In Victoria, if you have entered on a permanent visa you can drive for 6 months after first entry on the permanent visa on your UK license, then you have to get a Vic one.

So if you travel to validate, the 6 months starts then. If your next visit is outside that initial 6-month period, you have no valid license on which to drive.

So, having discovered that, we've booked in at Werribee on Friday to get it sorted. Should have done it in September 2009! And I expect someone has commented on it in these threads in the past and I missed it. I dont know what the other state rules are.

So remember - it may be better to get the driving license sorted out on the validation trip.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

peewit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licenses

Originally Posted by sandch
We overlooked one thing folks (well only one so far but watch this space).

In Victoria, if you have entered on a permanent visa you can drive for 6 months after first entry on the permanent visa on your UK license, then you have to get a Vic one.

So if you travel to validate, the 6 months starts then. If your next visit is outside that initial 6-month period, you have no valid license on which to drive.

So, having discovered that, we've booked in at Werribee on Friday to get it sorted. Should have done it in September 2009! And I expect someone has commented on it in these threads in the past and I missed it. I dont know what the other state rules are.

So remember - it may be better to get the driving license sorted out on the validation trip.
Hi Sandch
Great that you have made it to Oz. Your appointment for getting a drivers licence is booked, but in Sydney I just looked up on the RTA website what documents were required and where my nearest office was. I took my documents to the office without any appointment. 30 minutes later I walked out with my shiny new NSW photo ID driving licence. My UK driving licence was looked at but given back fully intact.
Regards Peewit

Last edited by peewit; Nov 23rd 2010 at 6:44 am. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.